1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want a new Laptop, BUT WITHOUT VISTA!!!!!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by georgeluv, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I'm not one to argue in someone's thread so I'll just say, take a minute and go look up some reviews and benches and see what I mean. The 6600 was a decent card and can definitely do what I said.

And I don't recommend reformatting with XP unless you are 100% sure you can get working drivers for the laptop. Try to find one with XP installed or you're stuck with vista.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2007
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The 6600 is capable of playing HL2, Farcry and Doom 3, at least at 1024x768. However, I've not been able to track down any benchmarks of the Go6600.

3. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I guess the mobile versions tend to be different but if it's anywhere near the desktop version I'd say that it would be fine for most fairly new games.

4. georgeluv

georgeluv Regular member

i should get him one of those custome one-off wood cased laptops that asus made:

http://computerworld.name/asus-wooden-laptop/

my brother might be better at finding good laptop deals than me because earlier today he showed me this:

http://www.alienware.com/configurat...code=PC-LT-AREA51M5550-R3&subcode=SKU-DEFAULT

im not going to lie i do kinda want to get him a laptop with a funky design if poss., but the alienware ones are kinda cheesy, i was kinda hoping for one with a smooth, roud edged, all carbon fiber case, ha. ill be in eternal debt to whoever can find me one, or even just a bare bones model.

seriously though if asus actualy made those wood cased laptops i would get him one of the normal shaped ones.

and i think you guys are misunderstanding my request or i havent expressed it correctly; i dont need a video card that kicks a desktops ass, i just need one that is passing for ut3 (only game he will be playing prob) and is hdcp compliant and has svideo out. it doesnt need to produce top of the line gaming graphics it just needs to not overheat and start sucking if he plays unreal for a few hours. i guess placement of cpu and cpu fan have just as much to do with it.

one of the problems the thinkpad t43's (the smaller cased ones) have is they overheat, even from something as simple as WoW, after about 40 min and the video quality starts degrading and freezing and the computers heat warning beeper starts beeping every 5 min. its because they are really packed together tight, and they use tough materials, more metal than most, and it makes heat disapate slower. they wernt made for gaming, they were made for business. at least i never saw any perminant damage come from anyone continue to play WoW for hours after the beeper started beeping.

and i also found the absolute chepest laptop with a hdmi port, it was 1400, a little out of my range. if it was 1200 i might have bit. i didnt save the link, im an idiot.

5. vegeta66

vegeta66 Guest

this ones only $799
    the cpu is decent, and the video card can handle most games easliy.

AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-50 1.6GHz
    1GB DDR2
    NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600
    100GB sata hdd
    17" WXGA+(1440x900 res)
    Dual layer DVD Burner
    s-video and dvi output

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2007
  6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That is quite a good laptop for the price, but it won't have HDMI.
    What do you need HDMI for anyway?

7. amaj8504

amaj8504 Guest

this is not ebay. edited by ddp

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2007
  8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

What's this, a brag?

9. amaj8504

amaj8504 Guest

not it is a offer it is for sale

10. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

we're not ebay.

*runs to a mod* :)

11. georgeluv

georgeluv Regular member

thanks for the offer but i realy need something legit with warentys and recipts and crap.

that 800 dollar laptop is pretty sick, the dvi port is a nice touch that could actualy take the place of the hdmi port. its a little large for what i was looking at, i kinda want something 15 or preferably smaller (yeh i know, more money, more chance of overheating). did anyone read the reviews? some dude said that he used it in the jungle and ants liked to eat something inside it, ha. plus it comes preloaded with vista id have to spand all that time loading xp and fidning the drivers and thats AFTER i makes sure changing the op system doesnt void any warentys and i get my deserved credit for getting it sans vista.

i need an hdmi port because i like to mess around with video encoding, i am a stickler for quality, boarderline obsessive. my freinds and i like to mess around with hd stuff a lot too, the one with the gtx 8800 also has a ps3 and a 360 elite with a 42 inch sharp 1080p aquos. im near profesional at video encoding and editing, my neighbor and childhood freind just got hired by the dudes who produce "yakees ultimate road trip" and they shoot all HD. i just want the laptop to be futureproof and be able to edit hd and output it properly. having just one big fat cable for audio and video is nice.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2007
  12. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

amaj8504, read the forum rules above as is obvious you haven't. post edited

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

In which case you need to up your budget.

14. FredBun

FredBun Active member

get a used one, if your in the states, try craigslist.com

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Or go with a company that lets you choose which OS you have, I believe Dell do that. Not everybody wants a second hand laptop... :p