1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want more ripping speed :)

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by mjbn5164, May 13, 2003.

1. mjbn5164

mjbn5164 Member

Hi, I have a Sonu DRU-500AX with 2.0f firmware but i only can get a 2.0x ripping speed. What´s wrong ? How can i increase this ripping speed? With dvd-/+r 4x i can only record at 2.4x. How can i improve recording speeds ?

Thanks in advance

mjbn5164

2. MikeBUK

MikeBUK Guest

Ripping is not the same as burning. The maximum burn speed is determined by your drive (not the discs). If your drive is supposed to burn at 4x but doesn't you need to get the latest firmware. If it still doesn't you should then contact the manufacturer.

3. baabaa

baabaa Active member

dooby dooby do.

Liteon dvdroms are reportedly the best for higher ripping speeds.
    If you use ur dvdrw to rip, you will probably only get a slow ripping speed.
    BUY a sperate dvdrom - this will give you an increase in ripping speed.
    When burning, 2 variables for speed:

1. What speed ur writer is capable of writing at. check specs, and firmware updates.

2. What speed MEDIA is being used.

eg1. u may have a 4x capable writer, but use 2x media = ONLY BURNS AT 2x (speed of media)

eg2. u may have a 1x capable writer, but use 4x media = ONLY BURNS AT 1x (speed of writer)

From the 2 above eg's, You can now assume that it is better to have a fast writer (4x, latest)
    so u can chose WHICH MEDIA to use.

However there are some things floating about which suggest you can burn a 1x media at 4x, BEWARE - the media is not designed for high speed writing and therefore damage to ur writer can occur.

Generally the speed to burn if the writer is 4x, is determined by the speed the media used is rated at.

I only burn at 1x for Long/fast action movies and 2x for shorter ones.