1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i want to be a programmer

Discussion in 'Resource center' started by bomb12guy, Apr 13, 2007.

1. bomb12guy

bomb12guy Member

im a 14 year old kid and i want 2 start programing sounds dumb but i do i dont want use it 4 a bad use i want to use it for a good use i love computers and i want to understand them. can anyone teach me ?or help me

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

3. eiffel65

eiffel65 Regular member

I don't think it sounds silly. I educate myself on Java even though I have no clue what any of that means! And for help, the only help that I can give you is a good luck and hope you learn in time for dinner :D. Unless a programmer that goes here can teach you or somethin'.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  4. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Unlike -- say -- learning to use a program, it's not something you can learn in a couple of forum posts. You know, a person who -- let's say -- uses WinRAR to extract a couple of files thinks it is them extracting the files. It's not. Really it's the guy who wrote the program who is really extracting the files.

It's like a person punching the buttons on the front of a coffee machine. They think they just made a cup of coffee. The programmer is the guy who designed the machine, its front panel, all the buttons, its structure, the casing, its innards, worked out how to boil the water, how to stop the water heater boiling dry, where to put the cups, what size to make them, how to make sure they don't get stuck, how much coffee powder to put in each cup, how to provide milk and sugar choices, how to wire it all up, all the plumbing, etc etc.

That is not meant to put you off, bomb12guy, but rather to make you keen!

There may be classes in programming you can take at your school or at a college near your home.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  5. eiffel65

eiffel65 Regular member

Kinda what I was trying to say, unfortunately, didn't have the sense to try to put it that way.

6. capnJayd

capnJayd Member

Hey bomb, I'm learning to program right now in a fantastic language called Ruby. It's a a weakly-typed (you'll learn what that means as you go along) language, and is pretty basic. Ruby is a great intro language, because it can teach you the fundamentals quickly. You won't be making video games right away (think a few years down the road) but you will be able to do a "hello world" program (it's a programers birth, more or less) once you download the interpeter. http://pine.fm/LearnToProgram/

http://99-bottles-of-beer.net can show you the myriad of languages that are available to you to program in. If you want to make video games, go with C++ (this language will take time to learn)

Keep in mind that you can do anything that you want with a program, you just have to figure out the problem of how to do it. Good luck!

7. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

For me that is the interesting part.

I started writing programs in 1980 when I built an Acorn Atom, a kit computer from the firm that later made the BBC Micro, and all through the 1980s with various flavours of Acorn, Sinclair and Microsoft BASICs, along with Pascal and C.

Microsoft QBasic is quite handy to learn some simple stuff with, and its free successor, FreeBASIC is pretty good too.

Of course I don't have to teach an aspiring programmer how to use Google...

8. capnJayd

capnJayd Member

Fun stuff, low-level. I'm still working with learning this weakly-typed, high-level language, but once I finish that and graduate, then I plan on teaching myself low-level. Thanks for the idea, Indochine.