1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to make a backup of a dvd i already own, to dvd how do i do it

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by swenyb, Aug 14, 2004.

1. bigorange

bigorange Active member

2. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

YES !

Another media worth thinking about is the highly recommended Taiyo Yuden DVD-R also.

I personally use these:
    [​IMG]
    Ritek Branded A Grade (4x) DVD-R

3. bigorange

bigorange Active member

herbsman, altho I have never used Taiyo Yuden DVD-R I have heard they are an excellent media also. Do they make a printable disc?

4. swenyb

swenyb Regular member

Great thanks i'll get some of those

5. swenyb

swenyb Regular member

Hi im also using the "Burning pre-authored DVD-Video using Nero" as a differnet way of doing it and it tells me to "Launch Nero Burning Rom in the classic mode (not the Nero Express wizard mode)." but i dont know how to launch it in the classic mode it keeps launching it in the nero express, any ideas

6. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Express is soooo much easier. Open Burn Express, then open in a separate window where your pre-authored files folder is. Click and drag that entire folder to the VIDEO_TS folder in Express. Ignore the AUDIO_TS in express. Express will automatically pick which files it needs in about 2 seconds. Hit next, choose burner, hit burn, done in about 10-12 minutes. What could be easier?

7. swenyb

swenyb Regular member

Wow thanks, i thought it was a bit weird that using the classic version would be better when theres a newer version at hand, just started burning with 12mins to go, im burning on my bad media because i havent got the ritek yet, but im just trying it out,
    thanks again

8. swenyb

swenyb Regular member

Nero just finished burning and it does actually play on my dvd player but it stutters every few seconds is there anything you can think would cause it to do that perhaps the media, or something i did somewhere any sugestions

9. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Several things, your files, how and what software did you reauthor with? Yes, bad media can definitely cause this problem. Your source of your reauthored files. Player compatibility, have you tried another player? There's many things that could cause it. Media is one of the bigger ones tho.

10. swenyb

swenyb Regular member

11. swenyb

swenyb Regular member

what im also going to do is get some of that media that you advised, which i hope will improve the flickering

12. herbsman

Good media will probably stop stutter/pixelation etc...

By the way there is an option table at the opening of Nero Express that gives you the chance to switch to Nero Burning Rom [if you have a full Nero package installed of course].
    But yes you can still use Xpress if you so wish (I prefer the Burning Rom route myself)

Hopefully the new Ritek will arrive soon & you'll be off n' running at full pace ;-)

[bold]HERB[/bold]

13. swenyb

swenyb Regular member

yeah i know, i think i have the full package where abouts is the option to change it, im just gonna try everything on my bad media just to see if theres any difernce

14. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi all,

As far as media, we can also add to the list one of my favorites, RiData and although it's a bit "pricey" Sony looks like a good bet. RiData comes in a printable labek too :)

Meanwhile, here's -

"Uncle" ScubaPete's Last Ditch Suggestions to help you work your way through your "Really Cheap and I wish I hadn't bought this stuff." DVD Discs.

STOPGAP FIXES:

1. * There's a little sometimes fix. It's to compress your DVD to somewhere around 4.2GB even (4200MB). For instance when using DVD Shrink, open it and click "Edit", then click "Preferences" on this page we're going to select "DVD Target Size" as custom and set the size as 4200MB. By reducing the amount to be burned you can stay away from the edges where the dye tends to be uneven and the discs may even be brittle.

2. You can reduce the numbers of errors while burning cheapo media by burning at a reduced speed. It takes longer but what the heck, you're saving money (Lol). Since you're compressing more it might be wise to burn just the movie, the less you burn the better the quality sooo, movie only, please.

Try to clean your DVD discs just before inserting, use a disc cleaner or isopropanol Alcohol and a soft cotton cloth and rub-a-dub, dub :)

For burning - I too like Nero's Burning ROM. To make it easy, here's a little guide I wrote for that -

BURNING WITH NERO CLASSIC
    HINT:
    First, create a folder for your work on your desktop - load your IFO, BUP and VOB files there - make sure they are in a folder named VIDEO_TS written like that (all in Caps) - some programs like DVD Shrink will make the properly named folder for you, others you must make the folder yourself - Nero needs that folder with all it’s contents in order to work properly –

OK then, is everyone comfy ? Good - its now time for - -
    “Uncle” ScubaPete’s Step by Step, Let’s burn with Nero 6 Guide -

First - Do not use Nero Wizard -
    Please follow EXACTLY -
    When you open Nero Burning ROM, you will be at the “New Compilation” window. Directly under the title “New Compilation” is a choice block to choose either DVD or CD, choose “DVD”. Directly under that click on the “DVD Video Icon.” Then click “New” in the upper right corner of that screen, NOT the main screen.
    You now are in the “DVD Video” window. In the left screen, click “VIDEO_TS”. In the “File Browser” screen, 3rd from the left, trace your path to the VIDEO_TS folder, the one you made earlier holding all of your files and click on that folder. All of your VIDEO_TS files are now opened in the right screen. Click on the top file, hold down the “Shift” key and then click the bottom file thereby hi-lighting the entire column of files. Click and (holding the left mouse button down) drag the entire column of files to the open screen, second from the left and release the mouse button.
    Now click the icon on the task bar that shows a match on a disc, and then click “OK” and now, clear the room, stand up tall and shout out, “Burn Baby, BURN” ! One more time, let me hear you say it, “Who’s your Daddy Now ???”
    Guess what my Friend ? You are done !!!

(Wheeew, now I really need a cigarette)

NOW, STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER ! !
    Keep all fingers and toes away from Ms. Computer. Never mess with the lady when she’s working – it would be hazardous to your health, you understand -
    Go and have your coffee, when Nero is done, she will let you know ;-))

Burning a file made by DVD Shrink.
    If you had used DVD Shrink to create a file on your HD you are truly in great shape. When you wish to burn, use the "File Browser" in Nero Classic (don’t use Wizard), trace your path back to “All DVD Work\ Pirates of the Caribbean”, you don’t have to remember where your work is or if you need to do anymore work on it, it is completely finished, ready to go –

Cheers,

"P"

An edit is a good thing, my guide is now there -
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent IV CPU 2.84GHz, 1024MB RAM, 520GB HD.
    Pioneer 107, 8X R/W , Nec R/W ND-1300A, JLMS DVD ROM.
    128MB GeForce4 TI 4200, O/S XP[/small]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2004
  15. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Uncle scuba,your stuttering bro,and your forgot to post your nero burning rom guide.lol (congrats on the promotion to addict btw)

Herb, this is off the subject but I love your gif,but id wait until the clock reaches 4:20 and then yank out the batteries :))

blaze on clubbers
    jim

16. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I think Pete's undermining my Burn Express "guide". lol (which I still prefer, BTW. The app, not the guide) ;)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]..Dell Media4600, XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,512MB,280HDw/8MB,17" flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated 5.1 audio, HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn SO[/small]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2004
  17. swenyb

swenyb Regular member

i cant find nero classic how do open it

18. herbsman

19. swenyb

swenyb Regular member

i dont believe this ive got nero oem, when i bought it, it was advertised as nero 6, i should of checked it, is it still possible to get nero burning rom i have a serial code and everything can i download it from anywhere

20. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

swenby,

You should be able to download it here, plug in your SN and you'll be slicker than a slimy, slithery, three-toed sloth :)

http://www.ahead.de/us/nero6-ultraedition.php

Once you've gotten it, try this "ScubaPete" guide -

BURNING WITH NERO CLASSIC
    HINT:
    First, create a folder for your work on your desktop - load your IFO, BUP and VOB files there - make sure they are in a folder named VIDEO_TS written like that (all in Caps) - some programs like DVD Shrink will make the properly named folder for you, others you must make the folder yourself - Nero needs that folder with all it’s contents in order to work properly –

Burning a file made by DVD Shrink.
    If you had used DVD Shrink to create a file on your HD you are truly in great shape. When you wish to burn, use the "File Browser" in Nero Classic (don’t use Wizard), trace your path back to “All DVD Work\ Pirates of the Caribbean”, you don’t have to remember where your work is or if you need to do anymore work on it, it is completely finished, ready to go –

de Guide -
    OK then, is everyone comfy ? Good - its now time for - -
    “Uncle” ScubaPete’s Step by Step, Let’s burn with Nero 6 Guide -

First - Do not use Nero Wizard -
    Please follow EXACTLY -
    When you open Nero Burning ROM, you will be at the “New Compilation” window. Directly under the title “New Compilation” is a choice block to choose either DVD or CD, choose “DVD”. Directly under that click on the “DVD Video Icon.” Then click “New” in the upper right corner of that screen, NOT the main screen.
    You now are in the “DVD Video” window. In the left screen, click “VIDEO_TS”. In the “File Browser” screen, 3rd from the left, trace your path to the VIDEO_TS folder, the one you made earlier holding all of your files and click on that folder. All of your VIDEO_TS files are now opened in the right screen. Click on the top file, hold down the “Shift” key and then click the bottom file thereby hi-lighting the entire column of files. Click and (holding the left mouse button down) drag the entire column of files to the open screen, second from the left and release the mouse button.
    Now click the icon on the task bar that shows a match on a disc, and then click “OK” and now, clear the room, stand up tall and shout out, “Burn Baby, BURN” ! One more time, let me hear you say it, “Who’s your Daddy Now ???”
    Guess what my Friend ? You are done !!!

(Wheeew, now I really need a cigarette)

NOW, STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER ! !
    Keep all fingers and toes away from Ms. Computer. Never mess with the lady when she’s working – it would be hazardous to your health, you understand -
    Go and have your coffee, when Nero is done, she will let you know ;-))

Enjoy your backup, “P”

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent IV CPU 2.84GHz, 1024MB RAM, 520GB HD.
    Pioneer 107, 8X R/W , Nec R/W ND-1300A, JLMS DVD ROM.
    128MB GeForce4 TI 4200, O/S XP[/small]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2004