1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i want to play avi files on my ps3 ... what options do i have?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by johnc1234, Apr 9, 2007.

1. johnc1234

johnc1234 Regular member

got my playstation 3 and its a v 1.60. my AD Status is member but im a total noob at the ps3s, i want someone to confirm the options i have on offer to be able to play avi files. Converting them is out of the question because i have way too many files. i have heared of linux but i never installed nothin on ps3 as im scared of bricking...plus i dont got a usb keyboard and mouse. do you think sony will bring out an operating system or a new firmware which will be able to play avi files. please clear this up for me. thanks

2. stickweed

stickweed Regular member

I've been wanting to do the same thing as you for a while Johnc1234. What i have found from a bit of searching is well basically, nothing good.

Your best options are to convert,(which will take forever in my case as well because i want to play avi's of a tv series), waste some dvd's by burning them as dvd's (which will take a lot of time as well), or install one of the linux's such as ydl and use VLC through it.

The last firmware update from 1.60 gave an update to play AVI, but don't get excited, it's the avi format from digital camcorders and digital cameras, not the DIVX or XVID conversions like the avi files we have.

3. DBM_Bones

DBM_Bones Regular member

Yes if you want to be able to play movies from the HDD they will have to be in MPEG4

There are some converters out there. not found a free one yet tho.

Tried the demo's that only do 5 min's and they do work.

4. johnc1234

johnc1234 Regular member

okay thanks people, do yous think they will give you the option to play divx/xvid avi files in a future firmware?

5. thewaksta

thewaksta Member

Probably not. Download PS3video9 and that'll let you watch your avi's when you want. My laptop will convert a one hour tv episode in about 20 minutes. Put the conversion onto a key drive and watch via PS3. I've found it to be superb. I do have problems converting some downloaded material but 90% of your downloads will convert appropriately.

6. johnc1234

johnc1234 Regular member

thats exactly what i dint want to hear lol. "probably not" i defanitely aint converting all my files. i got like 200 lol. oh well i supposed i will have to bite the bullet. that life