1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to use a HD as a big Memory Card. Can I?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by xenoph, May 2, 2005.

1. xenoph

xenoph Member

Hello,
    I've never installed a HD in my PS2, and I was wondering if it's possible to install a small HD, like 2-4 GB just to use it as a supersized memory card. I'm just tired of losing all my savegames. When I first got my PS2, I had all my saves in a memory card, and my mem card just died. I was so mad, that I bought the GameShark GamePort to back up saves in my computer HD. That worked out great until last week, when my computer HD decided not to work anymore. So I am planning on buying the Network adapter just to connect an old HD I have to the PS2 so I can use it as a mem card. I just want to ask around before starting wasting money.
    I'm not interested in playing online games or backing up games on the HD, I just want to use it as a Memory Card. I already have Swap Magic with the memory card Exploit and it works perfect.
    Anyway, I checked the HD Loader webpage and it says the minimum is 40GB. Is that true?
    Also, in order to format the HD for PS2 compatibility, do I need the original HD CD that comes with Final Fantasy XI or the HD Loader is enough?
    Any other advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

2. xenoph

xenoph Member

no recommendations, comments, nothing?
    ...I guess I'll have to waste $40 and try it by myself.

3. ps2source

ps2source Regular member

I'm sure you could write a emulator if you visit ps2dev and grab a dev kit write emulator to make the hdd act as your mc, sounds logical.

4. williej

williej Regular member

The only way you can use your HD like a memory card is ... to buy an official Sony HDD. It has firmware only found in that HDD that allows you to see it in the browser. That's the only way to do it.