1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I would advise everybody to steer clear of the TDK DVD-R sale at Best Buy.

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by jay33, Nov 7, 2004.

1. jay33

jay33 Regular member

Best Buy has a 25 pk. for 9.99, which is a great price. However, I bought 2 25 packs and the discs won't even begin to burn. They are under the manufacturing ID TTG02, which I hadn't heard of before buying these.

I've burned using all sorts of media, including some cheap-o Princo discs, but have never had this type of copy error before. With nero, a power calibration error pops up after about 1 minute into the burn. It actually never starts the burn, since there is no visible burning started on the disc. These are going back to Best Buy tomorrow. I may try the DVD+r packs, but am not sure if these are the same manuffacturer or not.

2. Siem

Siem Member

This is the normal media code for TDK in cakebox. Made by CMC, very good quality, although not as good as Taiyo Yuden. The + version is CMC as well, but the mediacode is CMC in that case.
    It works fine for me anyway.

3. jay33

jay33 Regular member

I really don't know why, but these discs won't even attempt to burn. This makes them totally useless to me.

4. joseph816

joseph816 Guest

i never had a problem with tdk - or + and i just burned 30 disc without a coaster...and they were purchase at bb on sunday for $9.99...sorry to hear about your misfortune....Joe

5. qetuo

qetuo Member

Its not misfortune... These discs are bad, the fact that you had no coasters doesnt make them good discs.

(I had coasters myself with these DVDs by the way)

6. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

jay, I had the same problem with TDK brand 48X CDRs (made by Ritek). Kept getting power calibration error which is just a test phase. I decided to burn them at 8X, and they worked. I know, defeats the whole purpose of getting higher speed media, but I was too lazy to return them. ;)

7. bbthumper

bbthumper Guest

....I too bought them on Sunday. 15 disks with no coasters so far. The strange thing I found with these are after burning a DVD movie my computer says the disks are empty but they play in the stand-alone DVD player fine........

8. kchev

kchev Regular member

9. jay33

jay33 Regular member

Siem, what I have heard is CMC isn't too good.

I returned the discs and exchanged them for the TDK +r. The +r I got are CMC MAG. I tried one and it burned fine. Strange, running the +r through DVD Identifier shows it burns at 2.4/4/8x. The -r I had that wouldn't work only showed up to 4x, despite the fact that they are supposed to be up to 8x. Anyway, I now have some that work, but I'm not thrilled with them being CMC MAG.

10. Juhnny

Juhnny Member

Just thought I would add my 2 cents. I bought the 25 pack of TDK's(8x) and had no problems with any. I have since gone back and bought 100 more and so far have not had and problems with the first 20 I have used. I went to 3 Best Buys in my area and they were all sold out. I use the Sony DRU710A dual layer burner with DVD Shrink 3.2 and Nero. Again I have had no problems with these and wish I could get my hands on more.

11. Siem

Siem Member

There was a time, when Verbatim was CMC, actually, not the best time for Verbatim. But today, the Philips DVD-R, DVD+R is CMC, although + can be Ricoh. Memorex is CMC as well, and TDK is CMC. Maybe there's some bad cakes there, but I never had problems with these discs.
    These are all brand names, I think they can not to not to sell good quality discs.

12. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

MCC (Mitsubishi Chemical Co.) is the good one, CMC Mag is the mediocore one. ;) Anyway, TDKs are usually decent, but the Ritek Ridata ones I bought from Newegg recently are awesome!

13. degraw

degraw Member

I went yesterday to get this deal ans they were all out, so they gave me a 50 pack for 14.99. Not bad i guess, but i copied 2 movies last night, and they will not play on my toshiba, my apex, or my PC using winDVD, only thing that can play them is windows media player. Is this a disk issue, or something esles? when i try to open it with winDVD, its just picture, no sound

14. iriedawta

iriedawta Guest

i also bought the tdk from bestbuy...and i burnt about 4 disc so far withouit a coaster. maybe its a dvd recorder thing