1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i5 laptop running Windows 7 with 6 GB of RAM seems to be running extremely slowly.

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by wheelstb, Dec 2, 2011.

1. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

I have now managed to disable superfetch.

2. aldan

aldan Active member

well i would run hijack this one more time and post a log.how is the computer running?

3. GryphB

GryphB Regular member

Superfetch was designed to make programs that you use to run faster by caching the memory directly. But when you use other programs that aren't using cached memory (i.e. internet browsers) other things, it uses whatever memory is available.

4. aldan

aldan Active member

so...is it fixed?

5. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

sorry that it took me forever to reply. I don't use my laptop very much but there will come a time when I will need it and I just wanted to make sure it was ready t go when I do need it.

I have paid a cheap copy of Windows 7 so I just decided to reformat. But now I am unable to find the drivers I need. I don't know if the laptop came with a CD. It is a Dell Inspiron 17R and when I try to find the drivers on the Dell website it says no downloads are available.

Does anyone have any ideas?

6. aldan

aldan Active member

32 or 64 bit system?

7. GryphB

GryphB Regular member

What kind of drivers?

I'm sorry you bought a Dell. Stuff like this is one of many reasons I don't buy into their products. You do anything to their product, they'll eventually know one way or anther. Proprietary hardware and software.

8. aldan

aldan Active member

is it 32 or 64 bit windows?

9. sp8rt1cus

sp8rt1cus Member

Have you updated the ram from the original when you bought it? If so check to see if you have the right rams inserted?

10. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

11. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

I've currently using a 64-bit version of Windows. I believe that is what I have been using the whole time. I don't think it was ever 32 bit.

12. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

I have not upgraded any RAM. I figured it would just be too tedious and have the potential to lead to problems so, I went with 6 GB directly from the manufacturer Even though it was probably more expensive than buying it myself.

13. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

I agree. It is absolutely, completely and utterly ridiculous. They are really doing a huge disservice to the typical consumer very hardware savvy.

When I got it, I knew that they put a bunch of crap on there and that the best possible thing would be to do a complete reformat with an OEM version of Windows. But I didn't want to spend the money on a new OEM version so I tried to just remove some of the crap where. But I swear that is next to impossible to get it all.

In all seriousness my system is now 2 to 3 times faster than it was. Actually previously I think my core two duo dual core system with 4 GB of RAM running Windows XP was much faster.

It seems to me that when I was shopping for the laptop Dell have the best price, but if you have to resort to buying a new copy of Windows it's sort of a moot point. Are there any retail PC builders that don't install all that crap where on their system?

I just want to say thank you again to everyone who gave me all the great advice.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  14. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

no problem.