1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ibook or powerbook

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by seanymac, Dec 26, 2004.

1. seanymac

seanymac Member

My son spilled some water into my PB and I am now forced to purchase a new notebook without any help from Apple. (warranty doesn't cover water damage)
    I'm curious if their is a big difference with speed between the powerbook and ibook (G4) or if the memory is mostly the source of speed for ripping/burning etc... Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

2. jchamber7

jchamber7 Member

i have a G4 ibook with 768 MB SDRAM and i rip - compress - burn on average of 45 to an hour depending on the dvd. of course the only bad part is that I have a 12 display thus forcing me to go extrnally for a burner. i like powerbooks better for that reason, BUT, i am fully content with my setup (LaCie D2 external, very quick with 8x media), or so I beleive.

how long did it take you to rip yada yada burn???

go ibook!

3. seanymac

seanymac Member

I had a 1.5 G4 with 512 mb of RAM, it took me about a 1/2 hr to rip, a 1/2 hr to shrink and another 15-20 to burn. I'm just curious what's going to make the whole process faster, the processor speed or the amount of memory? If I get a 1.25 G4 ibook but I load it with 1.25 of RAM, would it be as fast as a 1.5 powerbook with 512 of RAM? All I know, is that it's going to cost me a lot of money to replace this thing.

4. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

Some of what you ask will also depend on the system bus speed and the speed of the respective dvd readers/burners. The processor alone won't be the only speed factor but it is the biggest factor.