1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Icopydvds2 dual layer media

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by burny, Nov 15, 2004.

1. burny

burny Member

Can I use single layer media to burn dual layer dvds using Icopydvds2? or do I still need to get dual layer media?

Please help.

2. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Yes you can, and I've tried that myself. However, the outcome may vary because ICOPYDVD2, despite its simplicity, does not allow the user to have much control over the burning preferences. That's why I've switched to Nero a short while later. You may want to try it out with a RW to see how it go first.
    Good luck!

3. burny

burny Member

I have tried burning the whole DVD and always get errors towards the end and I can finish burning and wastes a DVD. did it work for you or was it just without the menu.

4. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

It actually worked for me for some time before I got my first and only coaster and switched to Nero. If you search this site (type ICOPYDVD2), you'll find that some people are absolutely satisfied with the program, while others are having trouble all the time. That's why I've said that DVD burning is not exactly an exact science.
    Anyway, if it doesn't work for you, you may consider switching to some other methods (e.g. Nero+DVD43, DVD Shrink+DVD Decrypter). Again, if you read the forum posts, you will also find that different methods receive different reviews. So it really needs some trial and error before one can be sure what works for oneself. For me, Nero+DVD43 has so far been working perfectly.
    BTW, you may want to use RWs for tests so as to cut down on wastage.
    Good luck!

5. burny

burny Member

Thanks for all the input. I am really new here so please be patient. My sony dvd burner came with nero but I don't know how to use it for backing up my own dvd movies?. Do I have to buy an updated version of nero to do DVDS? Also, If I just use exact copy would this actually copy all the DVD with the menu? what's your experience?
    Thanks in advance.

6. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Nero Suite is a very powerful program, handling playing, copying and editing from CD, VCD, to SVCD and DVD. Unfortunately, it does not do DVD ripping. So if you want to use it for DVD copying, you'll have to find alternative methods to tackle the DVD Region code and CSS protection problem. Many people use DVD43 for ripping purpose. You may also try this out. I use mostly the Nero+DVD43 combination myself. But take note that there is a pay version and free version of DVD43. Also, the free version needs a Patin-Couffin Layer in order to work. You may use the search function of this forum (type DVD43) to read more about it.
    I'm not sure what version of Nero you have. You may want to read the manual or consult its home page to check out its functions. I have Nero 6.3 (sales version), and it can do perfect copies of DVD or fit DVD9 to DVD5 (with DVD43 handling the ripping part, of course).
    Still another way to go would be to install DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter from this site. Both free programs can handle the ripping part, and Nero can then handle the copying part very well.
    As a matter of fact, I have all these programs installed (and more...... *_*) to give myself more options.
    So again good luck and happy DVD copying!

7. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Nero Suite is a very powerful program, handling playing, copying and editing from CD, VCD, to SVCD and DVD. Unfortunately, it does not do DVD ripping. So if you want to use it for DVD copying, you'll have to find alternative methods to tackle the DVD Region code and CSS protection problem. Many people use DVD43 for ripping purpose. You may also try this out. I use mostly the Nero+DVD43 combination myself. But take note that there is a pay version and free version of DVD43. Also, the free version needs a Patin-Couffin Layer in order to work. You may use the search function of this forum (type DVD43) to read more about it.
    I'm not sure what version of Nero you have. You may want to read the manual or consult its home page to check out its functions. I have Nero 6.3 (sales version), and it can do perfect copies of DVD or fit DVD9 to DVD5 (with DVD43 handling the ripping part, of course).
    Still another way to go would be to install DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter from this site. Both free programs can handle the ripping part, and Nero can then handle the copying part very well.
    As a matter of fact, I have all these programs installed (and more...... *_*) to give myself more options.

8. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

9. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Oooops, sorry about the multiple entries, connection problems.

10. burny

burny Member

This is great info!!. Thanks so much. I have nero 6.3 but I don't think it has the capability of copying larger dvds into the 4.3 dvd. I will search the other possibilities. the only software I have now that sort of works is the ICOPYDVDS2