1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Icy Dock MB453SPF-B removable SATA drives

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by jaredf, Aug 18, 2007.

1. jaredf

jaredf Member

I'm looking into the Icy Dock MB453SPF-B. This will allow me to use a single computer with mutliple configurations/hard disks for the many different uses. Should be better than using 3 different computers, which is what I do now.

My fear is that my case will become too cluttered and perhaps the cooling/ventilation situation could be harmed. So, I'd like to look into installing this into the drive bays of a DVD/CD Duplicator. I'd also like to use a quiet Fortron powersupply in the Duplicator case, but I'm unsure if they are compatable. Icy Dock makes an external multidrive bay enclosure, but the built in power supply fan is noisy. I'm looking for quietness and think the DVD Duplicator may be the way to go.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A friend of mine had an IcyDock and the fan was LOUD, we removed it and soldered on our own. Unlike the IcyBox enclosures of old, the IcyDock we had wasn't really a quality item. If you're looking for quiet removable storage, then perhaps you could try something like the original Icy Box IB-350. It all depends how quiet you want to go, if you're really into silent PCs, mount some Internal HDDs in your case on elastic of some kind, or in a foam enclosure, to remove vibrations, and go with Samsung hard drives if at all possible.