1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IDE DVD drive won't burn dual layers properly

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by AssKlown, May 4, 2011.

1. AssKlown

AssKlown Regular member

Hey guys, my motherboard (Asus M3N78-VM) has 5 sata ports. I was using sata port #1 for my primary hard drive, and had a 2nd hard drive, and my DVD multi drive connected using the IDE port (I know, old connections, but its what I had, so I thought I'd put it to use).

Now the 2nd hard drive and DVD drive are connected with jumper set to CS (cable select) with the DVD drive first, and HD second. All is recognized in bios, and device manager, and set properly. I'm having a problem with my DVD drive though. It will read just fine, but I've recently made many coasters trying to burn some dual layer disks. It will reach about 25% of the burn, then show an error and fail.

Now we all know DL disks are not the cheapest, and I can't figure out what is going on. The drive was in an OLDER pc running XP sp3 at first, and same deal happened.. failed multiple times part way through.. (using imgburn) but I thought it might have been the pc, as the pc was known to give me bsod, and randomly crash. So I pulled the drive, put it into a clean build running windows 7 x64, and its doing the same thing. I've burnt a few regular DVD's, and they all burned fine, seems like the problem is with Dual Layers.
    Drive model is: GH22LP20 (LG Drive)

I know many may say the drive is bad, just replace it... YES I could do that, but in fact its not that old (mfg 05/2008), and has barely been used for burning purposes. I would like to troubleshoot with the help of others here so I can actually learn something for next time.

Thanks guys, and sorry if this is in the wrong section.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try a firmware update as current firmware might be incompatible with dl disks you are using.

3. AssKlown

AssKlown Regular member

Thanks for the reply ddp. I don't know if I already did that already or not. Label says ROM version 1.00, and I found version 1.04 online.

I swapped out the drive with an OEM sata drive, and immediately updated the firmware.. so I don't know why that didn't cross my mind to update the ide drive as well.

So I'll reconnect that drive, update the f/w and repost to let you know if I've made any more coasters.