1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IDE to firewire???

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by wolfgunge, Jul 10, 2002.

1. wolfgunge

wolfgunge Guest

Hello,
    I was wondering if anyone had tried plugging a n external DVD drive (the pioneer A04 in particular) into a firewire caddy. If so:
    1) does it work? ;)
    2) if so, are there any driver problems?
    3) is it reliable, or do you get loads of drive errors?
    4) does it work at full speed?
    5) which model combinations did you use? do you have any special recommendations?

I know this probably sounds a stupid idea anyway, its just that my laptop has no spare IDE slots as you can well imagine ;) heh heh

Take care all
    www.damnshit.co.uk

2. gt_wreck

gt_wreck Member

I also have thought about this. the only thing stopping me is the money involved. I just got my pioneer dvr-104 and it is working well.

I would think that since less than three megabytes per second needs to be transfered, most any enclosure will do for speed. If there are retail stores in your area that carry the enclosure, then you could always return it if you had a problem. The only part that may be slower than an internal drive is the read speed.

3. poodull

poodull Member

I've got the pioneer ao4 and the pyro firewire box with an adaptec firewire card. NO problems at all. burned 20+ movies; the only coasters were my fault.

running xp on amd 1ghz.

dull