1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Idea for GC case mod

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by molton, Mar 1, 2005.

1. molton

molton Member

There's a lot of good sites that show where to cut the camecube case to fit full size dvd's, but of all the ones I've seen, the best solution for the lid was to cut a hole in it and hold it up while switching the discs, which is a pain in the ass, especially with the short time limit you get to switch the disc. What I did works much better for me, I put the spring and gear back onto the lid so the lid would hold itself up, then I took the piece of plastic used to hold the lid in place before the mod and cut it down to what you see in the pictures below, which I screwed into the front of my case so it could be slided over the lid to keep it in place.

http://mikesinfo.cjb.net/gccasemod/gccmod_01.jpg
    http://mikesinfo.cjb.net/gccasemod/gccmod_02.jpg
    http://mikesinfo.cjb.net/gccasemod/gccmod_03.jpg
    http://mikesinfo.cjb.net/gccasemod/gccmod_04.jpg

Last edited: Mar 1, 2005
  2. Ize

Ize Regular member

It looks bad, the latch is a bad and ugly idea.

The best way would be to use a magnet system with a prop up lever.

By pressing , say the open button, you would push up on the cover releasing it from the magnet.

3. Artlover

Artlover Member

Hmm, second person's case mod you've insulted.

Let me ask, can we see some pictures of YOUR awesome case mod?

4. Ize

Ize Regular member

Don't see a reason to mod a case, They look fine as is. The idea of modding it to fit a full sized DVD is fine, But the way it is done is not. It is pourly cut, it was done really quick with very little care for the look of the unit. he would have been better off just leaving the top off.

The only other one i made mention to was that of sealing off the bottom.. kinda dumb to do, what happens in the event that nintendo releases a serial ported HDD? we have been hoping for one for some time, it is a possibility.

So Have i modded my case, no, I use mini DVD-r's so I don't need to "hack it up". The Idea is a good one, the work is bad.

And if you look at the posts, they are asking for opinions and ideas. I gave em, and an opinion ,good or bad, is an opinion

Last edited: Mar 6, 2005
  5. gulliver

gulliver Regular member

I don't understand why so many people are concerned with modding the lid to fit full-size dvd's. all you do is leave the screws outta the gamecube so when you're playing a game take it off and when you're not, put it back on. it slides right on and off. I guess I just don't see what the big deal is. is everyone really that lazy? Just my 2 cents.

6. soccerboi

soccerboi Guest

(claps for gulliver)
    Finally somebody who realizes there is no point in a full case mod! I like my gamecube the way it is, and I don't want to have to add an ugly latch to make it work :)

7. Ize

Ize Regular member

Carefull, you might get people getting mad at you for your opinion.

I agree, IF you want use the full sized DVD's, just leave the screws out of the case.

8. Artlover

Artlover Member

Has nothing to do with your opinion, but how you go about sharing it.

You can get your point across without being insulting, condensending and obnoxious. I know you're capable of it, as your replies to me were a hell of a lot more thought out and didn't contain those traits that were present in your original reply to those others just trying to show off what they did.

(You'de make a great dad. Child comes in, "look daddy, I painted you a sailboat". You, "that isn't a sailboat, it's a glob of paint". Child running away, "waaaaa".) <rolls eyes>

9. Ize

Ize Regular member

lol

10. molton

molton Member

I'm sure I'm not the only person who'd rather do this than leave the case off, and as for the way it looks I couldn't care less, I made the cuts with a soldering iron after all.

I don't know about you but I need to have a case on my gamecube, I'm always moving it around and I don't want somebody tripping over a cable and breaking my gamecube.

11. Ize

Ize Regular member

You cut the case with a soldering iron..

You know your iron is trash now right?

Why not get a dremmel tool and do it with that, you know, use the right tool for the job.

12. Artlover

Artlover Member

My problem will all these case mods is that all any of them do is make a full size disc physicaly fit in the space, but doesn't address the issue of how easy it is to get the discs in or out. So far, there is only one that I've seen where that wasn't a problem, and thats only because the guy sanded the top down to the drive and did away with the flip top cover part all together. It was, erm, interesting.

Personaly, if I was going to mod mine, I'd just make a whole new custom case. Reposition the reset & power buttons, make an oversized disc area. Or maybe run a extension cable for the drive mech to put it to the side and mounting everything in a old style PS2 fliptop case. Wouldn't take that much fab work.

Anywho, using an iron for hotknife work isn't all that bad, so long as you keep extra tips around, or keep one tip handy just for doing that. It can actually work pretty well and faster then a dremel in some cases, depending on what you're doing. Then again, I typicaly have only done it to pop an LED hole into a project box, not for any major fab work.

13. gulliver

gulliver Regular member

Enough already...to each his own. I don't need to worry about kids or anyone breaking mine so I just leave the case off. Others have people walking near theirs so they don't wanna risk it getting broke. So we all know how each other feels now. Let's move on.

[bold]artlover[/bold], I feel the same way you do. I would hate trying to get them in and out of there in such a short time we have to swap. I'll just wait till someone finally manufactures a replacement case, and if that never happens I guess I'll leave the top off till mini dvds are cheaper and more compatible. Just the idea of buying expensive minis and having them not work keeps me away from them.