1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ideal Discs

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by Saetia, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Saetia

Saetia Member

Hello everyone.

I'm a little new to backing up PS2 games and I am wondering what discs are the most recommended for this purpose. I current have Smartbuy 4x DVD-r discs. Also, I have an NEC 16x burner. However, the Smartbuy discs don't support 1x burn (only 2x and 4x). From what I hear, this may be a problem as burning at 1x assures the best quality and burning at greater speeds significantly increases your chance of a poor backup.

So I have a couple of questions:

1) Is it reasonable to burn at 2x or 4x as opposed to 1x?

2) If not, what are the best discs to use for burning at 1x?

Any help would be appreciated,
    Mike

2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

2x is fine, but your smartbuy discs are probably crap. Ritek is the most recommended brand.

3. Saetia

Saetia Member

Yeah the smartbuy most certainly are crap. In fact they are the cheapest crap I could find (50 for $17.99CAN)

I backed up GTA SA from a .iso acquired online at 4x with decrypter. It works but gets a little choppy now and again. Great game though.

At 4x straight backups work fine, but one of them takes forever to load. I'm going to try the RiTek discs and see what happens.

4. Swootwan

Swootwan Member

Try Princo, I find them wonderful for universal reading.

5. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

now don't go recommending princo. Princo is some of the worst discs, your just lucky if they work for you (my ps2 wouldn't read them).