1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ideal DS for modding

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by Deadboy, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Deadboy

Deadboy Member

I have done alot of research on the ideal psp mostly about firmware. So I was curious if someone could tell me if there is an ideal DS, and how to tell the firmware from the box or the console itself. Also is it possible to use the internet on a DS. Even if you could post some links on where to find this info, it would be very helpful.

2. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

All DS' work fine, you don't need to worry about firmware. Unless for some reason you want to use a very old method of loading homebrew, which I seriously doubt.

You can find find out the firmware revision using the Ds and an original game:
    1. Put the DS game in the slot
    2. Power on the unit
    3. Go to PictoChat
    4. Go to chat room A
    5. Eject the game (with the DS still on, don't worry no harms occurs to the DS or game)
    6. Both screens will change colour

- NDS-V1: DS will freeze (screens don't change colour)
    - NDS-V2: Grayish Blue
    - NDS-V3: Dark Green
    - NDS-V4: Yellow
    - NDS-V5: Magenta (I believe all DS Lites have this, along with more recent original DS')
    - FlashMe V1-6: Dark Green (As it is based off of the V3 firmware)
    - FlashMe V7+ : Magneta (As it's based off of the DS Lite firmware)

As I said though, all modern homebrew hardware will work on any DS, there really isn't any need to worry about the firmware on them.

Yes, there is the official browser available from Nintendo, or there are a couple fo homebrew browsers (though I havn't looked at them)