1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ideal PSP Video Settings?!

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by phill2000, Oct 4, 2007.

1. phill2000

phill2000 Guest

Hi all.

Im trying to find the optimum video encoding settings for the PSP. I am currently using CFW v3.52-m33-4 and want to convert some video's I have to watch on my PSP.

I regularly re-encode video using Tmpgenc (full program not express) and virtualdub so I know what Im kinda doing.

What I want to know is if anyone knows what screen resolution, codec (audio and video), framerate etc would provide the best results?

Any word of a DivX Player for the PSP yet???... lol

2. sicdude

sicdude Regular member

try using winavi mp4 converter it has a mode especially for psp

3. phill2000

phill2000 Guest

Ideally I dont want to use ont of these "one-touch" converters like WinAVI or PSP Video 9. I have seen some of the results and the good video is far too large, and the smaller files are too crap lol

I find you get better results if you re-encode the video properly which is what i wanted to do.

So the "optimum" setting are what Im looking for

4. sicdude

sicdude Regular member

well i use winavi and the movies i get are dvd quality and quite small in size to

5. phill2000

phill2000 Guest

care to give me an example of the film length / file size of one of them? and what encoding settings were used?

Tried different tools ans most are pixelated / full of artifacts so thats why I wanted to use a proper MPG encoding tool instead of a one-click

6. sicdude

sicdude Regular member

hostel (dvd rip avi)
    742mb to 427 mb
    highest settings on winavi mp4 converter

7. phill2000

phill2000 Guest

AVC? MP4? MP3 audio / AAC?....

Screen resolution etc?

Doesnt seem to be too good them settings as Hostel is 78 mins long. With that your looking at 5.5mb / minute of video. I have had a fairly good quality rip with only about 4.5mb / minute video. So on that basis your Hostel video would have been 351mb in size.

Do you see my point of what Im trying to do? Just need to find out the best method

8. sicdude

sicdude Regular member

wow you're moaning about 76mb thats nothing really when you think about it lol
    if you want them to be perfect just use umd video rips

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  9. phill2000

phill2000 Guest

Where the hell did you get I was moaning from that?!!?

I may want to get the smallest size for a reason!

I've had a couple of replies from you in these forums and you really do seem to give replies with an arsey response.

Its not needed. People come on here to educate themselves as well as look for advice. It doesn't require people to come out with flippant remarks simply because they know how to do what they are doing or because they have done it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2007
  10. sicdude

sicdude Regular member

how the hell am i being arsey i'm just saying if you want it perfect use umd video rips/iso's and maybe if my previous replies to you were arsey maybe it's because you deserved an arsey reply.
    i only give arsey replies when the question is one thats been answered hundreds of times before

i beleive these are my arsey replies http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/16/552549
    i gave them because they were questions that have been answered before
    (many times)

11. phill2000

phill2000 Guest

Not arsey?

Maybe you dont seem to think it was, fair enough. Maybe Im being over sensitive. Maybe you just need to try and come across a little more approachable and less prickly.

Still not needed. If an answer needs answering thousands of times does it mean it should be given in a manor deemed offensive????

Cheers for your input, I'll see if anyone else can post answer to my question

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2007
  12. sicdude

sicdude Regular member

ok lol,i do apologise if you think i'm being arsey,i hope someone else is able to give the answers you are looking for but i still think winavi is the best way to go,but like you say it is better to have smaller video files (you can get more on memstick lol) i can help you make the video thumbnails lol

13. phill2000

phill2000 Guest

Really?...that would be great thankyou. I was wondering why some show up with thumbnails and others dont.

How do you create them? =o)

14. sicdude

sicdude Regular member

ok here we go lol,
    #get the picture you want to use as your thumbnail (i find if you use a desktop wallpaper of the movie it resizes nicely)
    #resize the image to Width: 160px x Height: 120px, Resolution: 72 pixel/inch) in your photo editing software i use Photoshop 9
    #once you resize it save it as jpg
    #now name it the same as the video file
    eg:hostel.mp4>>>>>>>>hostel.jpg
    #copy both the video file and thumnail file to video folder on psp
    #enjoy your movie with custom thumnail

tip:
    if it's not working
    Open Windows Explorer. Go to Tools > Folder Options. Then go to the View tab. and Uncheck the "Hide extensions for known file types"
    make sure it isn't enamed to hostel.jpg.jpg

15. phill2000

phill2000 Guest

Worked a treat.

Many thanks! ;o)

16. sicdude

sicdude Regular member

no problem