1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Idiot novice needs help burning copy-protected dvd's!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by etmkpeat, Oct 29, 2004.

1. etmkpeat

etmkpeat Member

Hi,
    I am completely new to the dvd burning game and foolishly believed I'd cracked it when I successfully burned a copy of 'School of Rock' borrowed from a friend,using NeroStartSmart. Then I tried to copy 'Runaway Jury' and came upon a whole host of problems. 'Runaway Jury' was copy protected so after much trawling of the internet I managed to find DVD Shrink and DVD decrypter. I have downloaded both and proceeded to copy the disc.
    All the files have downloaded and if I open the disc and open the video ts file I can play each chapter scene by scene by stopping and starting and selecting each scene individually.
    If I try to playback using WINMedia I get a black screen and what appears to be the soundtrack. If I try to playback using Power DVD a black screen opens up and then it reverts back to the power DVD logo. If I put the disc into my DVD player it tells me it cannot read the disc, and I need to check it - even though it recognises that there are 19 tracks present on the disc.
    What am I doing wrong?
    How can I burn discs so that I can play them on my DVD player? (my computer is in a very cold lonely room and I want to sit on my nice cosy couch to watch my films).

Please help me,

Kirsty
    :blush:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2004
  2. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

Have you read the guides here for both programs. Some stand alone players may not play the disc format you are burning. What brand of media are you using? Are you using the full disc backup or re author from Shrink? Take us through the steps you used to make your disc.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    DELL Dimension 8300 XP Pro SP2
    Pentium 4 3.2GHz HT 1GB DDR SDRAM
    2x160GB RAID 0 SATA HDD
    16xDVD-ROM 8xDVD DL+R/+R/+RW
    19" LCD. Dolby 5.1[/small]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2004
  3. etmkpeat

etmkpeat Member

I had originally had shrink enabled to burn with nero which resulted in the above problem. I disenabled this option and ran the dvd through shrink, it dropped it onto my hard drive and when I try to pick it up from my hard drive to burn it onto a dvd it comes up with the message:
    I/O Error!
    Device:[1:0:0] LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S BS06 (D:)(ATA)

ScsiStatus: 0x02
    Interpretation:Check Condition

CDB:2A 00 00 00 00 20 00 00 20 00
    Interpretation:Write(10) - Sectors:32-63

Sense Area: 71 00 03 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 0C 00 00 00 00 00
    Interpretation Write Error

So I can't burn it that way. If I try and pick up the files from my hard drive via nero it doesn't recognise them as they're saved as .iso
    I'm probably being really stupid but I can't fgure it out. I apologise if I'm wasting your time.
    Thanks
    Kirsty

4. aut0psy

aut0psy Regular member

How are you trying to burn with nero....do you go by this route?

(1) Open Nero Burning Rom
    (2) Top menu bar select <Recorder> --> <Brun Image>
    (3) Find ISO Image you created with DVDShrink
    (4) Select "Finalize DVD" and burn away!

Is this basically the same way you are trying to burn now? If not go through this process and let us know the outcome!

5. etmkpeat

etmkpeat Member

Hi.
    I tried everything the way you suggested and now I get perfect playback on my computer, but when I put the disc into my standalone player it (sometimes) still asks me to check the disc. Alternatively play will show in the top left corner and 'disc menu' will show on the dvd's display but all there is is a blank screen. When it is like this i am able to change the mode and program in a run of scenes, but it doesn't always work and no extra options are available to me.
    Am I still doing something incorrectly?
    The discs I am using are PIODATA 8x SPEED DVD-R 4.7GB
    are they to blame? My Dad bought them and I'm not entirely sure what he paid or where he got them.
    Thanks,
    Kirsty

6. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

etmkpeat ,
    It looks like the media is your problem. Most of the people here use Ritek or Verbatim branded blank media. We also do not burn faster than 2X or 4X. Remember you are doing a movie and not a spreadsheet. You can order the above discs at Newegg, Rima or Meritline.

7. aut0psy

aut0psy Regular member

I would also say that the media is the issue, however Prodisc is a respected line of media, it may be that you're set top player ust doesn't like them. Also double check that you're set top player will play DVD-R without issue as well.

Glad I could be of help to you!