1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Idiots guide to converting DVD to AVI for use in Prem Pro2

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by Farrside, May 17, 2007.

1. Farrside

Farrside Member

Hi. Could someone please give me the idiots guide to converting DVD to AVI for editing in Premier Pro2 using Xilisoft DVD Ripper Platinum 4.

I have a rough idea but don’t know which codec to use that is best or which file format in the dropdown list to choose.

Should I use AVI – Audio-Video Interleaved?

I have become dizzy with conflicting information and just need to convert one personal DVD so I can re-edit it in Premier Pro. Simple! Or so you would think….

So please just give me straight answers I can follow step by step which will work first time. I really need your help as I am a total novice when it comes to conversion. I didn’t realise it would be so complicated.

I already have Indio and Canopus codec’s installed on my PC if this helps. I need to know what will work for definite in Prem Pro2 for re-editing. What choices do I make?

Many thanks.

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Go with either a lossless codec or DV.

3. Farrside

Farrside Member

Lossless? I don't know what you mean. Can you just give the name or link to one exact codec which will work.
    I also need to know more than just which codec.
    What file format do I use in Xilisoft DVD Ripper Platinum 4? Should I use AVI – Audio-Video Interleaved?
    I really need a step by step guide if possible.
    Thanks for the reply thou. It all helps.

4. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Well you said you wanted avi in your title.

Lossless: "Used to denote a form of compression that does not degrade the quality of the image being compressed".

I haven't used Premiere in some time, so it isn't possible for me to say what codecs 100% work. For the least hassles, probably DV is the best choice, despite the fact that it is lossy.

5. Farrside

Farrside Member

Thanks for that. I installed the codecs and chose wmv2 in Xilisoft DVD Ripper Platinum 4 and it all worked fine in Prem Pro for editing. A little loss in quality but the job can be done. Phew!
    If you know of a better codec selection in Xilisoft DVD Ripper Platinum 4 that works then please post a reply.

6. uqiefiee

uqiefiee Member

DivX codec has good video quality, but small size.
    If you'd like to compress your DVD to video files saved as your hard disk, this format is perfect.

7. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

premiere pro 2 now accepts mpeg-2, mp2, m2v, avi, dv, video now( or at least mine does-could be a plugin(that i've forgotten about) premiere pro 1.5 never accepted mpeg).

You can simply de-multiplex your .vob and import your resulting video stream...but last night I noticed very poor results this way...it's better to use an encoder such as tmpgenc 2.5 and re-encode your .vob footage first to seperate mpeg-2 streams.