1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IE Explorer looses connection

Discussion in 'Resource center' started by sharad123, Aug 18, 2004.

1. sharad123

sharad123 Member

I am running XP home ed on my computer. It is good on all XP updates. I have cable connection with a dlink 614-router. My computer is on 24/7. This computer has a Cat 5 cable connection to the router. I run Free Zone Alarm firewall on all of my computers.

I am having a problem with IE. Most of time, when I try to go open IE, it has difficulty making a connection with my ISP. It comes back and says can't find the server. Strangely enough, if I keep clicking on various links suddenly IE will make the connection with ISP and start working. Sometime it will do not work after several clicks, then I have to reboot the computer (I do not have reboot the router.) It always works after rebooting. This is happening while other WI-FI connected PC keeps working. What can do to get rid of this IE problem?

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Hi sharad,
    Well: you have a router, and a software firewall, and XP firewall (is it in XP Home, too?)
    1) You need to establish an A1-perfect WAN (internet) connection with your router. Make sure the router is configured exactly to your ISP specifications! Power-cycle both your modem and router at least once/month.
    2) Remove all firewall software, to confirm LAN connectivity to your router. A NAT router is enough of a firewall itself, to do this safely.
    3) Confirm your LAN setup, DHCP client functionality, addresses OK (ipconfig /all) Everything setup and sharing nicely :)
    XP SP2 firewall messed up my LAN, it is new/different and really only req'd on PC connected directly to WAN.
    Your description (sort of half-works after several clicks) sounds just like an internally-firewalled LAN :-(
    Regards

3. CJC

CJC Regular member

Try disableing ur firewall and see if that works.

Try pinging an IP

eg

Start -> Run -> and either type Command (win98, me) CMD (xp, 2000)

then type PING www.afterdawn.com
    and see if you get a reply, and how many packets lost, sent and received then try PING 69.93.65.210 and see the same.

CJC

4. haymarket

haymarket Regular member

One more thing to consider is the Gateway IP address make sure that the gateway address on your PC is the Router - if necessary try setting a static IP address and gateway address. - Though sounds most likely to be firewall.