1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IE prob, again

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by j_holmes, Sep 22, 2004.

1. j_holmes

j_holmes Regular member

Hi guys,

My IE isn't working anymore, it states it cant find server.

But when I go into the IE folder in Program Folders,and run IEXPLORE(2)it works, but says its running in compatibility mode and not all features are enabled.

Anyone know why, and how I can fix it?

Thanks again..

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

when you need help -- it is a must that you give as much details as you can -- such as O/S you use -- what is the error you are getting -- what firewall you are using -- new software you have installed -- do you have another browser on your PC like Mozilla, Firefox, Opera and the likes -- did you upgrade something -- !!

3. CJC

CJC Regular member

It sounds like that you are connected to the internet properly.

My first thing, working at a ISP, is that you might have a firewall installed, and have not allowed iexplorer.exe as a trusted program.

Try disabling your firewall, and if it then works, you will need to add a rule.

What firewall software do you have installed?

CJC

4. yojimbo2k

yojimbo2k Member

personally I'd get rid of IE... or at least install a secondary browser to see if it makes any difference. I can highly recommend Firefox from mozilla.org

having an Internet Explorer(2) file is highly dubious. It shows that a copy has been made at some point. If you want to stay with IE then I suggest you download and run AdAware and Spybot and make sure your system is clean of nasty infections.

Next I suggest you grab the latest Internet Explorer version and reinstall... if you can't do it through normal means then simply try opening Windows Explorer, make sure you can see the address bar at the top (click View/Toolbars/Address Bar if you can't). Try entering a URL into the address bar - such as www.microsoft.com. That ought to allow you to connect to the web page at least.

5. j_holmes

j_holmes Regular member

Hi guys,
    Thanks for your reply's.

I have XP HOME SP2,
    I tried turning off the FW, but didn't help.
    I have no other FW'S, but I do have a router,
    but it's been connected to it for several months, and it just started 2 days ago.

If I uninstall it with the XP CD and reinstall it, is it possible this will fix?

I'm going to try it, I'll get back atchas in a few.

P.S. I do have FireFox, and use it all the time, it's just that all my other APP's use IE, such as Outlook and my P2P'S. So it's a pain in the ass when I click a link and it tells me
    "Can't Find Sever"
    You know what I mean?

Thanks again...
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]J_Holmes

It's Amazing The Difference A Day Makes..
    [​IMG][​IMG]

My website: http://www.geocities.com/fatherfogerty/[/small]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2004
  6. yojimbo2k

yojimbo2k Member

yeah I know all about those pesky integration problems

If it only started 2 days ago then it's not likely to be you router. Did you install SP2 two days ago?

Definitely - run adaware and spybot if you haven't already. There are loads of pesky adware thingies that cause bother.

Hmm.. a quick search from MS web site gives me "With Compatibility mode, you can run an Internet Explorer 4-compatible browser side-by-side with Internet Explorer 5. Compatibility mode is designed for testing HTML parsing and script issues and is not intended to be used as a primary Web browser.". That would explain the (2) but it would also indicate that you've installed something yourself that cause this.

Have you tried going to the entry for IE in Add?Remove programs and taking the repair option? Also look for a Compatability mode entry there...

7. yojimbo2k

yojimbo2k Member

ahhh I've just seen this

http://computercops.biz/postx68545-0-0.html

which would suggest that if you rename the first IE exe everything should work... *hope*

If you check Help/About when running IE and it says "side by side mode" then it's the same thing.

8. CJC

CJC Regular member

Windows XP firewall is more of a pain then help in most cases.

If you like Firefox, you can go into the Options Menu..

Tools -> Options -> Towards the bottom it has Firefox should check to see if the browser.... click the Check Now, then when it says do you want it to be the default, click Yes.

Now when you click on a link in OE, etc it will open all links up in Firefox, taking away the need for IE for most pages.

CJC

9. j_holmes

j_holmes Regular member

Thanks alot, I switched to be the default.

Exactly what i needed..

Still dont know how to fix IE though, so if .....

Thanks again..
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]J_Holmes

It's Amazing The Difference A Day Makes..
    [​IMG][​IMG]

My website: http://www.geocities.com/fatherfogerty/[/small]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2004