1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

if dvd rw drive is not dl then why can dvd dl movies be played on them?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by sui-cyco, Apr 27, 2005.

1. sui-cyco

sui-cyco Regular member

i have a sony rw dw u55a and it is not a dl drive.like most drives that arent dl it can read a dl movie whether it is original or dvdr.now, how can drives that are stated as not being capable of READING a dl disc,is obviously READING a dl disc?also i have copied iso to hd from dl disc.shouldnt there be something stoping me from doing that too.i havent tried to write to a dl disc(at $10 bucks a pop,who would?!) because im pretty sure it cant do that anyway.hey, it might work.but the simple fact is even if it could,i have no intentions of using extremely expensive media.im just curious about the capabilities of drives that arent dl drives and why they are listed as unable to read dl disc.

2. spacedust

spacedust Regular member

So whats your question.

Spacedust

3. sui-cyco

sui-cyco Regular member

it doesnt sound right i know.what i meant to ask is : why do drives that are not classified as dl drives capable of reading dl dvd movies?and furthermore,do things with dl disc which it shouldnt be able to do?

4. squizzle

squizzle Active member

All DVD-ROM/DVD±RW drives will [bold]read[/bold] DL discs (not sure about DVDR DL media though), but not [bold]burn[/bold] DL media. It needs to be a DVD±R DL to burn DL.

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

One may well ask, If I can read a Best Seller's Novel why can't I write one ?

If you took time to read some information about your DVD drive, you would see it says nothing at all about reading EXCEPT how fast it can read, it speaks volumes about writing.

You're only limited to the reading of a Dual-Layered disc. Unless you have a DL drive, you cannot write to both layers of the disc.

If you care to waste your $$$$, you can write to the disc BUT you cannot write to the second layer -

Hope the straightens the matter out.

Cheer,

Pete

6. sui-cyco

sui-cyco Regular member

i checked the capabilities again and it did say it could not read or write to dvdr dl disc.which gots me wondering what makes dvdr dl disc different to read than commercial dvd dl discs?just trying to get a better understanding of the way a drive reads dl media.like i said earlier dvdr dl media is too expensive to be experimenting with on my own even if my drive was capable to write to it.

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

If it says it cannot read or write to a DVD then it is a CD burner OR a CD ROM. If you have a DVD ROM it can and does read a DL disc both commerical and a home burned one as long as media quality isn't an issue. If you have a DVD writer then you can read the specs to see if it can burn to -R's, +R's and / or DL DVD Discs or a combo of those I just listed.

I suggest you check out this site for additional information.

http://dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#4.3

Cheers,

Pete

8. sui-cyco

sui-cyco Regular member

i might have sounded a little cofusing.but i have a sony dvd rw dw u55a,and viewing its capabilties both online and with dvd decrypter,it said it could not read or write to DL dvdr/dvdrw(basically blank double layer discs).it can read/write to all other dvd media.origial dvd movies that are double layer are booktyped as dvd rom which my drive is capable of reading.i was trying to understand [bold]why[/bold],even though ,a original DL dvd movie that is booktyped to dvd rom can read but a DL dvdr cant.when essentially they are both double layer.