1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If God exists?

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by retro78, Apr 6, 2005.

1. sljusevi

sljusevi Guest

yeah i know and thats youst one of the scandals priestes in sweden have been in. my religous stand is i belive in god not the church

2. pulsar

pulsar Active member

If the sun disappeared, then 8 mins later the earth would effectively go in a straight line, & not have an orbit. Until it was affected by another large mass that had enough gravity to affect its' trajectory. We would freeze in not too short a time. the earths core would be the only source of heat. The deeper mines go, the warmer it gets. I'm not sure what would happen to our atmosphere. It would be one hell of a dark & cold winter!
    The earths core is, of course, molten iron, (this also provides the earth with its protective shield through the generation of a magnetic field due to the motion of the core) from when the earth was created, a couple of years ago.
    I can only assume that the moon would continue to orbit the earth if this were to happen. According to Newtonian physics, if the sun were to disappear, the earth would lose its' orbit immediately. This was contradicted by Einstein, who proved that nothing can go faster than the speed of light, even gravity! (Except for tachyon particles of course!).
    Energy cannot be created or destroyed, only converted.

Just don't get me started on the Theory of Relativity!

Pulsar

Last edited: Apr 9, 2005
  3. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I don't believe in religion, whether I believe in a supreme being? Not too sure about that!

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

e=mc2 & the earth's atmosphere would freeze solid as would the oceans

5. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Energy = mass multiplied by c squared. (C= speed of light, 186,284 miles per second). The calculation used to work out the energy released by a nuclear explosion/reaction (Oppenheimer used this to great effect, just ask anyone in either Hiroshima or Nagasaki).
    The Michelson-Morley experiment;

http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/Michelson-MorleyExperiment.html

showed that the speed of light is constant. I.e. if a car travels at 70mph, does the speed of light increase by the aforementioned amount? No, it does not!

Now you've got me started!!

Pulsar

6. ddp

thats why i did it!!!

7. pulsar

pulsar Active member

ddp, do you have a large wooden spoon per chance?
    What is really frightening is that I do not have to look any of it up. It is all in my tiny, tiny mind!

Pulsar

8. ddp

how large a spoon do you want??

9. squizzle

squizzle Active member

wow...I always wondered what that formula meant

10. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Yep, when you sit and think about it, that is how you get such a large explosion from such a small amount of material. I find it simply staggering. If you could harness that energy, safely, they you would be on the way to be a rich man! I think that the bombs dropped on Japan had only a few pounds of Uranium or plutonium, I can't remember which.. The effects were, to say the least, devastating.

http://people.howstuffworks.com/nuclear-bomb.htm

An innocent victim says it all, IMHO

http://free.freespeech.org/americanstateterrorism/usgenocide/HiroshimaNagasaki.html

I don't really wish to go into the politics, that is a road fraught with danger, but I am glad that these devices have not been used again. The history of man always shows that we find new & more terrible ways of killing each other. That picture, ignoring the words/propoganda around it, is the best reason NOT to EVER do it again.

It is ALWAYS the children who suffer the most.

That really does hurt & I am actually in tears as I am typing this out after seeing that picture.

If you're interested, the top link is quite informative. It goes onto more detail than I ever could. My understanding of it all is very limited!

Pulsar

Does everyone see now why I have my nickname?

11. malcdogg

malcdogg Regular member

Ugh, i despise anything to do with nuclear material. That bombing was horrible but i suppose at least it happend at the very begining of nuclear weapons. It served as a lesson of why NOT to use such weapons. I don't even want to think about what kind horrible destruction a modern nuclear weapon would bring.

I feel very sorry for the victims of that attack. I, myself, have seen video footage of the victims of that attack that have brought a tear to my eye.

But i don't buy wholeheartedly into that articles propaganda either. If Japan was going to surrender they should have done it. Not thought about it. That's one of the conseqences of poor military decisions. The innocent always suffer the most. Blame the emperor of Japan.

The past is bloody and horrible. The things that people who are dead ,or almost dead, did before a lot of us were even born are lessons for us to learn from. One of the main problem of our time, that future generations will look back upon and wonder why, is the genocide that is happening in Africa. It's happening now. Right now.

http://www.sepnet.org/index.php?op=ViewArticle&articleId=507&blogId=1
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4227835.stm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/3853157.stm

History will look back on ALL "civilized" contries and wonder, how we could go on about our lives, each calling ourselves good, telling ourselves how much better we are, morally, then each other, while something like these genocides happen in Africa.

*BTW, i always thought your nick was based on a comicbook character with the same name, Pulsar. :)*

12. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I wanted Quasar (Derives from quasi- stellar radio source or something like that!), but it was taken, so I chose pulsar. It is a neutron star that spins so fast is emits a signal; link below explains it better than I can;

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/science/know_l1/pulsars.html

Pulsar

There is no such thing as an evil person, only people who allow evil things to happen.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2005
  13. sljusevi

sljusevi Guest

i youst have to ask you guys does evrybody in america go to church evry sunday

thats the message that we in sweden have gotten.

14. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Nope. That one is easy! It all depends on how strong your beliefs are. There are some who practice church at home, where others will go to church.

It all depends on how you want to worship really.

;)

15. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Nowadays you have a choice. In the days of yore (where the hell did that word come from?) you were considered a hethen if you did not attend church & you risked being ostracized by the rest of the "God fearing" community. Why would God want us to fear Him? Never understood that.
    Thank the Lord (?!) that the church has lost its' grip by terrorising & the use of fear to make people attend.
    Power & control is what it is all about. Always has been, always will be.

16. mikey_ray

mikey_ray Guest

wow what a conversation and they say we are dumb----

the nerds rule

17. Bubba1982

Bubba1982 Regular member

Never knew why god wanted to be feared? well here it is. Back in the old days with kings and queens and crap, what control was there? None. If you wanted to invade someones country how would you get everyone to follow you? if you said "I am king and I command you to invade that country there" people would just look at you all crazy like. So what better way of getting em' to follow you than saying "Invade that country there for they are infedels and god says they should die OR god will send your ass to hell"

18. Bubba1982

Bubba1982 Regular member

the dark ages were caused by religion and lasted for approx 1400years (I think thats right, anyways they lasted a long damn time) during said time we didn't really make any progress with technology and stuff. Just think where we would be today if they never happened.

19. squizzle

squizzle Active member

we probably would've blown ourselves up by now.

20. ddp

maybe than maybe not!!!