1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If I Remove Roxio, What Then?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Zarro, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Zarro

Zarro Guest

Another newbie question...

I downloaded the Nero trial software. I know that Nero does not play well with Roxio Easy CD Creator (Ver 5), which I have currently installed.

Roxio CD Direct recognizes my CD and DVD drives as another drive letter. If I remove Roxio, won't I lose that drive letter capability? Is there something in Nero that replaces CD Direct?

Any "gotchyas" that I need to know before proceeding?

Thanks.

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

HI Zarro, Nero has InCD 4 which is the packet writing software like Roxio Direct cd. Should work about the same. Lets you write to your CD or dvd drive like its an extra Hard Drive.
    Jerry

Last edited: Jan 20, 2004
  3. Zarro

Zarro Guest

Thanks, Jerry.

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Zarro,

To answer your other question - When you install your DVD and CD Drives your computer assigns the letters to them. It's not anything that Roxio or Nero does -

"P"

5. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi Pete, How's it going. Thanks for adding about the drive letters. I was suppose to put that in but when I answer some of these threads from work, I have too many other things going on at the same time. Whats left of my mind wanders off subject sometimes or it gets ahead of my fingers on the keyboard. Oh well, can't win them all.
    Jerry

6. Zarro

Zarro Guest

My original question was misleading. :-( True, the CD and DVD drives have letters assigned to them. I was wondering about my continued ability to drag/drop/delete, etc. After removing Roxio and installing Nero Ultra 6 trial version, I don't think that I can format any new CDs. Nero doesn't include InCD with the trial version; I have to buy the license first. So far, I could add files to a new blank CD but, I can't delete them once they are there. Will InCD fix that? Also, doing the BACKUP function, to a new CD, in Quicken returns an error: "Unable to write to drive D:". Again, will InCd fix that? Thanks. AZ
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]AZ[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2004
  7. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

From my experience with direct letter access programs like Direct cd and Incd, they don't like each other even though they do the same thing. Your best bet if changing to a different software is to convert any open discs from the old software to allow any cd-rom to read them before you remove the old program. Then start a new cd with the new software you install. I even had different versions of Roxio Direct Cd cause problems between discs done with the different versions. Hope this helps.
    Jerry

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey Jerry, How 're ya a-doin my friend ?

Zarro,

What "Knowledgeable" Jerry of the 3 Amigo's said, when doing your change over remember to reboot after your delete to allow it to "take".

and, Yes, Nero InCD should do everything you want (although I don't know about Quicken)

"P"

9. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

i have both programs installed on my computers, with no problems.

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I would tell you about having Nero and Roxio side by side but I can't talk about it - -

(Yea, I did that, for the longest time - -

shut down Roxio" in msconfig to make them get along -

Upgraded Nero, got "Gremlins", McAfee VirusScan started acting up - re-did "Roxio" - "Gremlins" went away - - for awhile - yea, they did - -

installed CloneDVD, had to uninstall Ole' Roxio, sent him out-of-town so-to-speak so's I could do it, then I allowed "Roxio" back,

then "They" came back -

Got tired, real tired, of - "Them" - Finally, my craw was full and I just said, "ENOUGH !"

I waited until there was no one around to see, then, one dark night, when the time was right - - I killed "It" with my trusty, silenced delete gun and there has been peace and harmony in the town of PuterPete ever since ;-))

11. Zarro

Zarro Guest

Thanks for the gripping tale, Pete. :) At the moment, Roxio is resting peacefully at the bottom of my software drawer. My next step will be to activate the full Nero suite and see if InCD smooths over the little bumps. I'll post my results. Thanks to all contributors.

12. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi Pete, Good old Roxio stories. Something happened when Roxio took over the Adaptec software. I loved the old software. Direct Cd was great in the Adaptec version but I couldn't get the Roxio versions to quit acting up. Talk about coasters. I used Direct CD to transfer files from my work computer to home when needed. And as you know DVD X copy Express doesn't like packet writing from Roxio or Nero. About October last year, I tried something. I installed only the Direct cd part of Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4 on both computers. It works great and doesn't seem to effect X copy Express. So thats what I use for my file transfers on CDs. I can't understand why the Adaptec version doesn't bother anything.
    Jerry

13. zcaveman

zcaveman Guest

I have a DirecCD 2.01S disk in my possession. The version I have on W98 is 3.03a. I think that I upgraded it to 3.03a from the internet. Are you saying that if I load this DirectCD onto my XP system and upgrade it, I can go back to enjoying problem freee copying from the hard Drive to my CDs just like I did under W98?? And Quicken will also copy okay?

Thanks.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2004
  14. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Zcaveman, No it won't work in XP. I was running ME at the time I posted that reply. Since tha time I up graded to XP and you have to remove all old direct cd software. I am now using Nero InCD to do the same thing direct cd use to do, except INCD requires RW cds where Direct cd I was able to use r discs. But Nero works with XP.

Jerry

15. zcaveman

zcaveman Guest

Thanks for the reply.

I tried Nero and InCD and did not like it. First of all it would not process my BAT files and it would not do my Quicken backups. When I put the CD into a W98 machine with Adaptec Direct CD, it told me I needed an InCD reader. I installed the reader and got the BSD at reboot. Somehow it messed up Adaptec Direct. I rebooted in Safe mode and removed the reader and everything is okay on the W98 machine. I deleted NERO and loaded ROXIO 6 with Drag and Drop (DnD). That works much better but it still does not like Quicken. I have to do my Quicken backup to a folder on the hard drive and then it copies over with my BAT file. If I use a CD-R I can keep it in open mode and read/write it on my W98 system. Sometimes it does close the disk and it is done. I switched to CD-RW and it closes them when I eject the disk and when I put it in the W98 sysytem it wants to load an Easy CD Reader. I won't do that so I am at an impasse. I can still add to it on the XP system though.

The computer store wants me to load ROXIO 6 on my W98 system to make things equal. That will be my last choice.

I would really like something closer to the Adaptec Direct CD process. So does everyone else I talk to.

Bill

16. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I agree with you that direct cd worked better. But since I wanted to upgrade my home computer to XP, I needed another way to transfer my work files. I installed IN CD on both computers, XP at home and ME at work. Most of my files are from MS works 2000. So far no problems between the 2 computers. Haven't run into a problem yet, but its only been about 2 weeks with IN CD. Hope you get it straigtened out to how you like it. I tried Drag to disc, didn't likr that either. Later

Jerry