1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

if ms28 samsung drive is spoofed as ms25 drive, which stock firmware needs to be used?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by ms28orms25, Apr 8, 2012.

1. ms28orms25

ms28orms25 Guest

trying to flash back to stock firmware in order to safely update the dashboard.

the sticking point here is that I'm not sure if I should select the ms28 or the ms25 stock firmware.

I would have assumed that I had to use the ms28 firmware but in this tutorial I read they use the ms25 stock firmware on an ms28 drive spoofed as an ms25.

I'm not sure if that's the way it's actually supposed to be done (if so, why?) or if the person who wrote the tutorial was just careless.

Can someone please tell me which firmware I should use and maybe also explain why?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2012
  2. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

I wouldn't at all update with a spoofed drive. The firmware checks for your drive and if it says ms-25 it updates the drive with the firmware for ms-25, which leads to an error with a spoofed drive.

3. snickle

snickle Regular member

Flash the drive with whatever version firmware it says it is on the sticker and let it update, then flash it with the custom firmware and DO NOT spoof it. As of Late last year, M$ no longer checks to see if you have the original drive in the box, they only check keys. I just swapped a Hitachi with a Samsung about 5 minutes ago, just changed keys, flashed samsung custom firmware, and I'm off and running.

4. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

You have to spoof it if the key and the firmware don't match, or it won't work at all. For newer updates you don't have to flash back to stock, I assumed it was the fall update that was concerned here.