1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If Nero6 doesn't work, which DVD software is the best?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by rathoriso, Mar 10, 2005.

1. rathoriso

rathoriso Guest

All of a sudden, I can't burn using Nero. What is good alternative to Nero for burning data from my hard drive to DVD??

2. JimiMack

JimiMack Member

I've had the same problem. Nero would burn my disc, and then wouldn't work in my DVD players. I tried Clone DVD2 and it's been working fine. Also, I've been directed to use Shrink which I'm going to try. It's supposed to work better and it's absolutely FREE!

3. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Dear rathoriso,
    1) If you could tell us more why Nero has 'suddenly' stopped working, people here may be able to help. A side note: Sometimes COMPLETELY uninstalling and reinstalling the program might help.
    2) But speaking about alternatives, Shrink and Decrypter are fine choices.

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Shrink wont burn anything!!!

Nero is the best for all around burning. Try doing a complete uninstall of Nero use the tools from here to make sure you get everything off
    http://ww2.nero.com/us/Clean_Tools.html

General Clean Tool
    Registry Checker and DriverClean Tool
    InCD Clean Tool

Then download the newest version of Nero here

http://ww2.nero.com/us/nero-up.php

Get packages 1 & 2 at least dont bother with InCD (package 3) it just causes problems. You can get the rest later..
    Install those two packages and see how everything goes?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2005
  5. rathoriso

rathoriso Guest

My history:

I've been using DVD X Copy successfully for several months now. Satisfied with it, used it earlier today.

A couple of days ago, I tried to burn a data disc with Nero 5.5.10.33 and it would not perform end of disc-at-once. Upgraded my aspi, upgraded to Nero 6, and the DVD burned "successfully", but when I put DVD in drive there is no data on disc. All the while, I can burn CD-Rs successfully with the same drive and Nero5.5 or Nero6.

I just want to put some mp3s from my hard drive onto DVDs. I've even tried to upgrade firmware, but that fails. Since my drive does everything correctly, I was hoping I could use another program similar to Nero to copy files from my hard drive to DVDs.

*please note: I say my DVD X Copy Platinum works fine, but it does take much longer to finalize these days...

thanx

6. rathoriso

rathoriso Guest

thanx bbmayo, I've tried the clean tool and installed Nero 6.x? (can't remember version). I'll try again though?

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Probably would be a good Idea to check your DMA settings as well

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. rathoriso

rathoriso Guest

Thanx bbmayo. I did that a couple of days ago when you told me to after looking at my error log from Nero. It's set to DMA. Thanks for the lesson!:)

9. rathoriso

rathoriso Guest

Do I need to Nero6 (Pack 2)? I only downloaded Pack 1. Would that help in some way burn a data DVD?

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Ohhhh opps sorry LOL

Hey what brand of media are you using and is it new. As in did you just start using it?

11. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

No one is all you really need for data :)

12. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Here is a more aggresive method to making sure your drive reverts back to DMA.
    [bold]CD-ROM and DVD-ROM drives can revert to using PIO mode, despite being set to use "DMA if Available." Here's how to make Windows XP redetect the DMA capabilities of the drives.
    This behaviour occurs with the following conditions:[/bold]

-Windows XP is the operating system
    -A CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, which is known to support DMA mode now works only in PIO mode.
    -The drive controller is set to use "DMA if available" but reports to be only in PIO mode.

Following is the mechanism that has worked for me, please try it at your own risk, it involves hacking the registry:

1. Open RegEdit
    2. Find the following KEY:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\000x
    3. The last four digits will be 0000, 0001, 0002, 0003, and so on.
    4. Under each key, delete all occurences of the following values:
    MasterIdDataChecksum
    SlaveIdDataChecksum
    5. Reboot the computer. Windows will now redetect DMA settings.

13. rathoriso

rathoriso Guest

Do you know of another program that burns data to DVD?

14. rathoriso

rathoriso Guest

bbmayo, instead of hacking the registry why can't I just delete the secondary and primary channels and then reboot? Is changing the registry different?

15. rathoriso

rathoriso Guest

Plus, I can copy a DVD using DVD X Copy and burn CD-Rs using Nero right now. My only issue is burning data to DVD on Nero.

16. rathoriso

rathoriso Guest

bbmayo,
    when above happens, does the device manager still say the IDE channel is set to "DMA if Available" or does that setting revert as well?

17. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

I love this combination, although it is not for everyone, cause alot of people use different things....

ANYDVD and DECRYPTOR-->DVD SHRINK-->Nero Ultra *setting Disk Image or Saved Project*

Never had a problem, plays in every player that I have used so far.

But this might not work for everyone.

BTW, anyone ever try and use SONIC Recording software, I tried using it once for dvd's...didn't work, wanting to know if anyone got it to run successfully?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2005