1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you complete a flash with no errors ... does that mean the system is successfully flashed?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by pilferd, Aug 15, 2007.

1. pilferd

pilferd Regular member

Sounds like a dumb question but heres my problem ...

I just flashed my MS25 system for the 1st time using the USB boot and the Xtreme52 firmware, it appears everything was successful w/no errors on the DOS screen ...

i put in my original copy of madden and it worked fine so i know the system isnt bricked ... since i dont know how to back up my own games yet i downloaded the scene release of Madden, burned to Verbatim DVD+R DL media at 1x with CloneCD and tryed it but the 360 says its an unreadable disc ... same outcome with Office Depot DVD+R DL media ...

can any1 help me out w/a suggestion? is it possible the flash didnt take?

2. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

The problem is the Office Depot media and 1x. Use better media and burn at 4x. "Burning slower is better" is not the case with the 360. I've burnt at 1x on a Verbatim and got the u.d.e.

Also, have you updated your burners firmware and which burner is it. Some older burners have problems with dual layers.

3. pilferd

pilferd Regular member

bhetrick, thanks for the quick reply ...

the burner i am using is the Sony DRX 830U
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/450931-REG/Sony_DRX830U_DRX_830U_External_USB_2_0.html
    been backing up my PS2 games for 2 years and using this since last year so hopefully its still good for 360 Games ...

i havent updated my firmware since i got the drive ... i'll try that after I burn the game again at again 4x ...

hopefully that works ... i'll report back whether good news or bad ...

4. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

As many others here would also do, I'd suggest Verbatims. I know it's hard to find them on sale. If you're looking to stay cheap, maybe try Memorex. But be warned... cheap media kills lasers.

Also, a few others have experienced problems when burning with an external. But as far as I know, that burner should be fine. Just check for firmware updates.

5. pilferd

pilferd Regular member

thanks again ... i just tryed w/Verbatim DVD+R DL at 4x ... still UDE ...

i'll look for updates for my firmware and try again ... if that doesnt work could it be possible that the scene rls of Madden 08 isnt compatible w/xtreme 52? should/can i reflash the 360 w/ixTreme 1.2b?

if this isnt the case i have a Samsung SH-S183L, on another PC, i can try that1 ...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151141

thanks again ...

6. pilferd

pilferd Regular member

ok updated the firmware of the burner ... still nothin ... i'll try on another burner ...

do u guys think i need to flash the 360 w/a later firmware?

7. fudpucker

fudpucker Regular member

i think i would just backup a game and try that instead of the
    scene release of Madden.
    like you said that may not be compatible.
    as far as backing up the games, if you have a few bucks you can burn
    and want the easy way out than invest in a samsung drive flashed with kreon and use xbc 2.4.

8. pilferd

pilferd Regular member

thanks alot fellas ... im gonna try to back up the game myself ... im getting the programs listed in the "... for Dummies" guide now and gonna take a wack at it ...

so am i correct to assume xtreme 5.2b is still a good firmware to use on the 360 or should i update to the ixtreme? these firmwares never become obsolete?

thanks again for the help ...

9. Memnock

Memnock Active member

I say try updating to ixtreme and here's why. A couple of months ago I flashed a MS25 to 5.3a, because the buyer didn't want ixtreme. After flasing backups didn't work, but originals did. I know the backups were good, because they worked on my 360 at various firmwares. I tried slow read 5.3b and still no good. Then I tried 5.2a and that didn't work. I figured maybe he just had a weak laser, but for the heck of it I flashed one more time with ixtreme 1.0 and all the stealth backups worked. I still haven't figured out what the deal was with that.

10. pilferd

pilferd Regular member

before i waste another disc i'll try that ... i used 5.2b because thats what the tut used ...

sir, if this works i owe u a beer ...

11. Memnock

Memnock Active member

haha. Well I hope it works for you and not just for the beer.

12. immy_2k

immy_2k Regular member

you might need to change the bit setting on ur dual layer dvd burner to dvd-rom then burn it using clone cd or xbox back up creator

or it could the download are you sure i is a working download

13. immy_2k

immy_2k Regular member

if ur not gonna go on xbox live then any of the latest firmwares b4 the iextreme ones are ok its only if you gonna use live the you need to make sure your back ups are stealthed

14. pilferd

pilferd Regular member

bit setting? is that hard to do? i'll do some google-ing and reading ...

nah im not an xBox live member ... i mainly just play by myself or w/buddies ... so the older firmware isnt the problem u say ...

and i assume its a working copy of Madden since its a scene release from the group "NiG" ... i dunno if afterdawn frowns on mentioning group names ... i apoligize if i shouldnt have ...

thanks again fellas ... i'll try adjusting the bitsetting thing ...

15. BurningAs

BurningAs Regular member

lol i just read this and thought bad burn speed- too slow. then i see behtick already covered that. yeah, try 2.4x burn.

you know your drive is flashed 100% if org. work. also are you sure you didn't by accident flash the orginal back in.

16. pilferd

pilferd Regular member

hmmm ... good question ... very good question ...

i dont think i did but i tend to focus on major subjects and screw up the minor subjects ... like saving the orig.bin fw when i was done ( i know thats a nono but i completely forgot while trying to figure out what was wrong) ... maybe i was more focused on typing the write serial # in and accidently typed "xRead" instead of "xFlash" i tend to do things like that ...

i have 2 Verbatims left so i'm DL'ing BioShock now (dont worry im a firm believer in supporting the manufacturers) and i'll try burning that w/CloneCD at 2x or 4x ... if that doesnt work then i'll try reflashing w/the xtreme 5.2b fw ...

really appreciate all the help fellas ... i will report back ...

:edit: now that i think about it i dont think i did flash the old fw back bc i didnt redo the Boot disc (USB) after i copied the orig.bin ... so i dont "think" i flashed it back ...

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  17. pilferd

pilferd Regular member

Excellent news!!!

DL'd Bioshock. works like a charm ...

What i did diffrent:

Used Imgburn 2.3.2.0
    set layer break to 1913760
    set book type to DVD-ROM (more then likely the problem)
    Burned and Verified

Place perfect ... got to run now but will try Madden using these steps and report back ...

*eMails Memnock a beer*

thanks again fellas ...

18. immy_2k

immy_2k Regular member

yep thought it would be your bitsetting now youve set it all your backups should work. pioneer dual layer burners dont need bit setting but some others do/ trust me its always something little that stops a back up from working usually something like bit setting or along them lines

19. Memnock

Memnock Active member

Glad you got it working. Did you got up to ixtreme 1.2c? It'd be funny if it was the bitsetting, because I burn games all the time that aren't booktyped to DVD-ROM and they work.

20. pilferd

pilferd Regular member

immy u the man!!!

Madden is up and running thank you!

is it possible to change this thread to "Successfully flashed 360 but backups dont work?"

that way it would be easier for other ppl w/this problem to find this thread?