1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If your Wii's firmware is 3.1U, will Argon still work?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by angeteen, Feb 19, 2008.

1. angeteen

angeteen Regular member

I've tried searching the backlogs, but have yet to find anything related to what I'm asking. After doing some googling I got some mixed reports about what would happen if an update was performed with a modchip in you're system. Some said that you're system wouldn't work; other's said it would still work just fine. The problem is I have no idea what modchip these people use, so I can't really verify anything.

As a result what would happen if you updated you're Wii to the latest firmware, and then tried to install an Argon chip? Would anything bad happen? Also, another questions, what would happen if the Argon chip was installed, and then you performed a firmware update on the Wii? Since Argon is a modchip for the drive I don't think anything would happen, since the update wouldn't be able to detect it's presence, but I decided to check and make sure first.

2. larrylje

larrylje Active member

You should have no issues at all upgrading the Wii via WiFi or Game Disc with any Modchip installed.

I have never heard of a Modchip that stopped working after a Wii update (except SMG) but all other backups still worked. Plus most Modchips out there have updated firmware to run SMG now anyway.

But as an ARGON owner myself I can defiantly tell you it is 100% to update the Wii with an ARGON installed.

3. Kafluke

Kafluke Active member

wow larry, you finally got a reliable working chip in your wii. Congrats dude. Now I just need you to fill me in on all the latest PSP news since I've been out of the scene for a while! I think I'm using m33 3.71 right now.

4. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Yeah I finally got it chipped with 1 I think I will be happy with.

Even tho a few months after the replacing WiiD with Wiikey fiasco the WiiD team came out with an update.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  5. angeteen

angeteen Regular member

Actually it's not so much about my modchip not working, but rather about my console not working. I've heard that when you update the region's firmware it can cause it to brick.

6. larrylje

larrylje Active member

If your talking about Region brick issues then the only possible way to brick/semi-brick a Wii is playing an Import game Disc that has a Wii update on it.

But updating the Wii via WiFi or from a Game Disc that is the same region as your Wii with a Modchip in it will not cause a brick issue.

For more on region brick issues go HERE.

7. angeteen

angeteen Regular member

I know about the region brick stuff (download brick blocker, patch iso before downloading, update you're Wii's firmware via internet), I mean that Nintendo is actually trying to cause modded consoles to brick if it detects any unauthorized modifications. In other words, if you update the firmware, will it detects the Argon modchip and thn cause you're Wii to brick? As I said, I think it won't because Argon is a mod for the drive itsef, and as a result can't be as easily detected.

8. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I have already answered you 2 times...

The unauthorized device warning is just there to scare you. it will not brick!

9. atobesama

atobesama Member

Hi. I have just recently got a modded wii with D2pro with an NTSC 3.1U version. I wanted to set up to WI-FI for the first time and got the Nintendo warning when i tried to upgrade. Beeing a nube, i immediately turn off the wii and did not upgrade. I did some googling and read about bricking with import games. However, have no intention of playing PAL games but just NTSC-U. If i uprgade through WI-FI with the D2pro modchip, would it kill my wii at all. Has Nintendo found a way yet to make my wii uselss if i uprgade online?? Thank you kindly.

10. SepticTnk

SepticTnk Member

No issues in upgrading my 3.0E to 3.1E via a game disc and to 3.2E using WiiConnect with D2Pro (on a wii clip) installed.

11. egrialuca

egrialuca Guest

solution to all bricking questions:

wii update from same region game = 100% safe
    wii update from different region game = 100% brick
    wii update from internet = 100% safe

if u scared of bricking ur wii from update from internet cuz nintendo 'might' catch u; unchip your wii and buy original games. 'nuff said.

12. shummyr

shummyr Regular member

it works just make sure you have a programmer for the argon

13. wiizrd106

wiizrd106 Member

My firmware is 3.1U... with argon mod chip

Is it still possible to connect my wii to the internet?
    Will I still be able to access the wii shop even if the current version now is 3.3?

Can it play burned iso games?

Thanks guys!

14. ggbarnum

ggbarnum Regular member

Wizard106, stop posting the same stupid questions in every thread.

Search for the information and stop multi posting.

READ THE RULES !!!