1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IFO----DVD-R Question ...help pls

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by trublesum, Sep 12, 2004.

1. trublesum

trublesum Member

I am trying to "backup" Lord of the Rings-The Last King. I have its total size to 4.35GB. I am using:"CopyToDVD", Memorex 4.7GB 120min DVD-R. My Issue: "CopytoDVD" is telling me...

**Error: Media not found.**
    **Please insert a writable media**
    **Required free space edtimation: 4.35GB**

Is this error due to the length of LOTR? (about180min)

Tried solution: Attempted with multiple Discs, Removing unnecessary media.

2. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Sounds like your files total exactly or exceed the capacity of that disc.

I would say that you need to run it through a compression program and get it a little lower than the 4.35Gb that you have - maybe 4.20Gb.............

3. trublesum

trublesum Member

So the length of the movie I'm trying to burn has nothing to do with this?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Plz Hlp Me.[/small]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2004
  4. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Thats correct...

On the disc, it will read 4.7Gb 120mins.

Misleading, but also correct that at max resolution, you can only get 120mins worth of footage and that would equate to around 4.7Gb (4.36Gb, really).

Now with compression programs like Dvd2one or Dvd Shrink, you can reduce the resolution (slight reduction in quality), this reduces the OVERALL filesize and NOT the length of the film to under 4.36Gb therefore at a lower resolution you can fit MORE than 120mins of footage onto a dvd.

With Dvd Shrink, you can also remove subtitles/audio/menu/special features etc, and this will reduce the overall size of files aswell.

Therefore by compressing the movie and removing the unwanted extras, you can therefore fit the film onto a dvd.

The 120mins is very misleading, so by using compression programs, this 120mins can actually be ANY TIME length - but the quality reduces as you fit more on.

Eg. Titanic/Green mile/Any given Sunday - these are all in excess of 150mins, and go onto a blank dvd5 fine, with a little compression.

Dvd shrink is free to download here in the downloads section and there is also a good guide in the guides section.

Hope this helps

BTW:Just re-read your initial post, and it may seem that your burner does not recognise the brand of media you are using.

Memorex are know to be a little 'iffy' from time to time, get yourself a good quality one Ritek GO4 based dye dvd.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Beware of the Pixies - they move in over night and turn your life upside down

[​IMG] [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2004
  5. trublesum

trublesum Member

Wow! Thanks for the response! I believe my burner is dvd+r and wont burn dvd-r.

6. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Aha, thats also another issue, wrong format etc........didn't think to mention that as dual format burners are very popular now, I actually assumed you were using one........ baabaa is hanging head in shame....LOL

Glad to be of help and welcome to afterdawn.........