1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IGN is so FUKing Biased and i'm pissed.

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by BurningAs, Jun 30, 2007.

1. BurningAs

BurningAs Regular member

It seems today to get the game well know out there the publisher need to stuff money into igns pockets to have it featured in news articles and headlines, or even have a "two World" Tuesday for weekly publicity. And for games which publishers don't have teh money to buy off ign, ign gives them a bad rating. case and point: Hour of Victory, most people say its a good game. Ign didn't mention the game untill maybe a week before luanch and then gives it a 5.7 though backhurner headline.

Also: super hyped games will no doubt get a good score, even if the games PURELY SUCKS, because how can ign say no after the publisher stuff it full of money?

2. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

With Hour of Victory, I can tell you that, although it isn't by far the worst game I've played, it is mediocre at best. IGN's score of it reflects the quality of the game. The review also explains why it warranted such a low score. Go to the gamefaqs.com message boards and see what people their think about it. They've got multiple page threads pointing out what Hour of Victory lacks; also, IGN did mention Hour of Victory more than a week before launch. Look at Hour of Victory's news profile: they had a preview of it in January, and then news articles and further previews as its release date drew closer.

Lost Planet, the Darkness, and Spiderman 3 (to some extent) are all games that come to mind, games which received a fair amount of hype but then didn't quite deliver as promised, and thus didn't receive the kind of score people expected.

Publishers don't stuff IGN full of money. IGN deals in a lot more than just video games, and they've got plenty of affiliate sites too; as a company, they're rich enough to not need to worry about money bribes off game publishers.
    Publishers send IGN, and many other similar sites, the preview game builds and the retail versions in hopes of both exposing their game to the gaming audience and making it look good by hopefully earning a good review score. If they get a bad score, it's not IGN's fault for dissecting the game and showing it for what it is, it's the developers fault for releasing something of such low quality.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2007
  3. flowfast

flowfast Regular member

yea dude I totally agree. I never judge a game based on the IGN rating.

As a matter of fact one of my fav. games right now is Shadowrun and that got a 6 something. They said it takes an hour to find a match but that was because they had it early. Now that everyone has the game matchmaking is excellent. stupid IGN

Last edited: Jun 30, 2007
  4. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

Although I agree, as said, with a lot of their scores, that doesn't mean that I won't find them good.

Tenchu Z for example. IGN gave it a 5 or something. I know its repetitive, its graphics aren't next-gen, its story is shallow and badly presented, but none of that stopped me from playing it right through and enjoying it.

5. reprazent

reprazent Regular member

A review afteral is no more than a personal opinion/view on a game.

Lost Planet is my alltime favorite game on the Xbox360, plenty of others think different.
    I think Tenchu went down the drain years ago, but if you enjoy playing it - so what?

ontopic...talk about biased magazines, the daddy of the most corrupt/biased magazine EVER must be Famitsu. *pukes*

Last edited: Jul 1, 2007
  6. smlvfx

smlvfx Regular member

7. BurningAs

BurningAs Regular member

yes i agree, i over exaggerated. they dont take bribes, but for games with big publishers and large hype- it's to igns advantage in long run to rate it good no matter wat.

8. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

How so? The publishers will always send companies like IGN the games in advance because the exposure IGN generates is well worth their while. Money won't come into it all. IGN is part of an enormous company - I dare to say one of the biggest entertainment ones the net - and giving out a few bad scores won't faze them, just as a publisher won't take much notice either: they know full well the quality of what they're releasing; they can't vent any arising anger on IGN for a bad review that they themselves would know their product rightly deserves.