1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

illegal disc?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by neslo420, Feb 21, 2005.

1. neslo420

neslo420 Member

I go to burn my DVD+R and it says the burned failed, the reason being an "illegal disc". I have a DVD+R burner, and i can't figure out the problem. Not sure if my comp recognizes the disc because when i put it in it says Blank CD. Any ideas

2. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Need more info. What program do you use to burn with? What media are you using? Is your firmware up to date? Please tell us the steps you take when you are trying to back up a disc.

3. neslo420

neslo420 Member

I use DVD shrink to compress the movie, and nero to burn. I don't think it's the dvd shrink because i also tried to burn a data dvd and it also appeared "illegal disc" on the report. I'm using a Ridata DVD+r 4x disc on the SOny DRU-120A burner. The firmware is up to date as well. The DVD's work on my friends burner so I have no clue.

4. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

5. neslo420

neslo420 Member

here's what i got
    9:53:58 PM #18 Text 0 File DVDPlusRW.cpp, Line 638
    Start write address at LBA 0
    DVD high compatibility mode: Yes

9:54:00 PM #19 SCSI -1046 File Cdrdrv.cpp, Line 1435
    SCSI Exec, HA 0, TA 0, LUN 0, buffer 0x0A6F0000
    HA-Status 0x00 (0x00, OK)
    TA-Status 0x02 (0x01, SCSI_TASTATUS_CHKCOND)
    Sense Key: 0x02 (KEY_NOT_READY)
    Sense Code: 0x30
    Sense Qual: 0x11
    CDB Data: 0x2A 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x20 0x00 0x00 0x00
    Sense Data: 0x70 0x00 0x02 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x0C
    0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x30 0x11

9:54:00 PM #20 CDR -1046 File Writer.cpp, Line 311
    Illegal disc

9:54:01 PM #21 Text 0 File ThreadedTransfer.cpp, Line 228
    all writers idle, stopping conversion

6. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Was some of the info cut off? Have you updated the nero burning rom? Have you backed up movies before? Give me a discription of the steps you take when trying to back up a movie. We'll start at the begining.

7. hursty

hursty Active member

sounds lika a compatibilty issue with your media.ridata are usually ritek id brand,but they may not be.

check
    http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

change the dvd you are using and things should be fine,
    if this fails try burning it with decrypter

Last edited: Feb 22, 2005
  8. neslo420

neslo420 Member

it seems my computer is not recognizing the disc....

[07:38:11] DVD+R/+RW Medium Detected. Starting Identification...
    [07:38:11] ** Initiating ADIP Retrieval Method 1 (Original ADIP)
    [07:38:11] ADIP Read M1 Failed : Illegal request - Invalid field in CDB [05/24/00]
    [07:38:11] ADIP Read Method 1 Not Supported ; A Firmware Upgrade Is Recommended
    [07:38:11] ** Initiating ADIP Retrieval Method 2 (Copy Of ADIP)
    [07:38:11] ADIP Read M2 Failed : Illegal request - Invalid field in CDB [05/24/00]
    [07:38:11] ADIP Read Method 2 Requires A Written DVD+R/+RW Disc
    [07:38:11] Disc Identification Did Not Complete Successfully

9. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

If your firmware is up to date, you have to change to another brand of media.

I just installed a new burner in my backup pc and it gave me that error on the first maxell -4x yellow top,code ritek-go4. It did it on the next disc. I slapped in a maxell -8x gold top,coded mxl-rg03 and all is ok. My firmware does not support ritek go4.Up to date firmware is my next step.

Try a small pack of maxell +4x. Majority of those are made by ricohjpn-01,pretty decent media.They are all pretty good in all 4 of my burners and play great in my stand alones.

Those 2 discs were not ruined, I was able to burn them in my benq.

10. neslo420

neslo420 Member

Thanks alot for the help ya'all. I'm thinking it is the media, so I'll go ahead and buy another brand.

11. krp2nte

krp2nte Member

I'm in the exact same boat and getting the same "illegal disc" error for Nero (+8x Memorex). What disc should I try? I'm more of a computer/burning newbie, so please talk down to me.

Thanks

12. Bageland

Bageland Guest

I also started having this problem tonight. I have nero 6 and veritas Record Now. I have been burning DVD-r and DVD+r discs (data and video)with both these programs (Using memorex dvd-/+r's and a sony DRU-500a) I bought a 25 pack of Memorex DVD+rw today and have had no luck. I get an "Illegal disc" error message when I try to burn with nero 6. My burner burns at 2.4x max and the DVD+rw are 4x is that a problem? My firmware hasn't been updated. Do I need to formatt or erase the DVD+rw's? Any help would be apprieciated! thanks guys.

13. neslo420

neslo420 Member

the 4x may be an issue, i bought a 2.4x speed for for 2.4 x player and it works fine

14. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

krp2nte: That's the hard part,finding goood quality media. A very good media,easy to get,in-expensive when on sale,and have very good manufacturers for their name is MAXELL. I burn a lot of maxell's,and their quality is very good no matter which format/speed rated/ or different quantity of packs you get.These manufacturers produce their media: ty/hitachi/ricohjpn/maxell/and ritek. You can hardly go wrong with any of these manufacturers.You may have to update your firmware for that no disc inserted error.

Bageland: You may also want to update your firmware. It may be so old that they have no recent updates for it. Just search the manufacturers site. You will also want to know which update you already have.
    I also have a little trouble with my older memorex +rw's. The tdk +2.4x are pretty good,especially to practice with.I am unfamiliar with veritas record now program. I don't know much about the formatting, usually nero does all that and erases it for me automatically.

Neslo420, I did update the firmware on that new I/O 16x burner and those maxell -4x ritek-go4's are burning up a storm. Even the 2 that errored out in the lead-in phase, were able to be burned.

15. Bageland

Bageland Guest

Okay so I updated the firmware and problem solved. It took all of 5 seconds. Cool. Thanks for the help guys. I can now burn with every program. I didn't initially install the firmware because the only fix that it advertised was reading double layer discs. But anyway its fine now. Thanks for the help

16. Ramirezi

Ramirezi Member

I'm having the same problems and when I go to the Rite-on site and go to firmware, when I click the download link, it brings me back to the same page. I've used three different brands so that's not the problem and I'm getting tired of getting a whole stack of coasters because Nero and my Lite-on 1633s aren't working together. They work fine on DVD's, but with CDR's, it'll work when it feels like it.

17. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Bageland, great to hear that you are burning again.

Ramirezi: You can check out this site for the lite-on 1633s update:http://www.americal.com/pg/dvd-burner-writer-firmware-version-updates-downloads.html?OVRAW=firmware%20updates&OVKEY=firmware%20update&OVMTC=standard

Since it sounds like your issues are on cd, you may want to un-install nero using nero cleantool: http://ww2.nero.com/us/Nero_6_Clean_Tool.html

Then re-install nero.Be cautious if you load the "INCD" packet, it can screw up dvd burning.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2005
  18. tomtekuk

tomtekuk Member

I have the same problem!!!
    How do I update my firmware?

19. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

tomtekuk, Check out the americal site I posted earlier. If your burner isn't listed,then go your burner's manufacturer's website.You may even go to cdfreaks.com .

You have to know what version you have now,and the correct one for the latest version. It's just like downloading a program,follow directions to the "T". Avoid hacked firmware,not recommended by your burner's manufacture. There is risk to any firmware update.

If you are having problems described by neslo420,then updates are needed. If you are having no major problems on your media,best advised to leave it alone. Just my opinion on that part.

20. Bageland

Bageland Guest

Okay so im up and burning again but now sometimes I get a power calibration error. Some say that this is because my lens is dirty (which is very possible) can some one tell me how to clean it. Something other than buying a disc with brushes made for cleaning?