1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

illegal disk message in Nero V 6 .... ?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by indy999, Dec 24, 2003.

1. indy999

indy999 Guest

Recently, I was using DVD-X Express (latest version) to make backup copies of my DVD movies. I was backing them up onto a Memorex DVD -R disk. No problems. I decided to use Smart Ripper v. 2.41 and DVD Shrink 3.0 beta 5 to see if I could see an improvement in picture resolution. Everything worked fine. With the help of this group, I was able to use Nero Burning ROM v 6.00.23. Strange thing occurred. I would get a message about 5 minutes into the burn....'illegal disk' and the burn would stop. I would swap out the disk and use a Memorex DVD +- RW. Viola......it worked? Any ideas...I've got a stack of DVD-R's that I would like to use...and I really don't want to go back to DVD-X Express. Thanks in advance....:)

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

indy999,

DVD XCopy and Xpress have an insert to prohibite making backups of their backups. Truth be known there are some programs that copy it anyway ?? Go figure -

And to answer your next question, NO, we can't and won't dicuss what programs might do what -

As far as swapping out the disc to an RW, again, who knows, just do a disc to disc copy to your -R or +R media to save that job.

If you wish to backups using 321Studios programs, use them from start to finish.

Otherwise -

Use DVDShrink by itself, no reason to use Smart Ripper as Shrink does the ripping, editing and compressing by itself, and then go directly to Nero.

Burn those -R media you crazy guy, go burn those babies - LOL

Happy Holidays,
    "P"

3. takumis

takumis Member

Maybe you can try to update the firmware of your DVD-RW ROM.

In my case, the version of firmware is 1.06 at the time I bought this machine(NEC ND-1300A), when I burning DVD-R disc, the "illegal disk" issue is occurred like you.

However, after I update the firmware from 1.06 to 1.0A, all the DVD-R discs(I bought several kinds of DVD-R disc for testing) are enable to burn by using Nero.

Hope this way is work for you.

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

takumis,

The most up-to-date firmware for NEC is 1.09. The firmware 1.0A you spoke about is for the TDK. Are you suggesting using the TDK upgrade on the NEC ??
    You don’t have to take my word for it (although you should)
    check it out yourself -
    http://www.herrie.org/

Pete

5. takumis

takumis Member

ScubaPete,

The firmware 1.0A for ND-1300A has already released.

I download this firmware from NEC's website just two days ago.

http://www.necd.de/softwareoverview2.php/id/557

A question want to ask you, in the message you replay indy999:
    "Burn those -R media you crazy guy, go burn those babies"
    You mean "Memorex DVD-R is not good enough"? or "Using DVD-R for backup DVD movie is not a good idea"?

PS. English is not my mother tongue, if I have any improper expression, please forgive me.

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

LOL :~)

translation: Use those -R media, you silly/ funny /likable guy, go use those discs

We call it humor ;-)

PS Thanks for the clarification on the firmware, I'll flash my drive tonight
    Pete

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent 4 CPU 2.84GHz, 1GB RAM.
    340GB HD, 7200 (Maxtor 120, Western 200 & 20.
    4 Drives, JLMS DVD ROM, HP DVD Writer 200j,
    Nec 4X DVD RW ND-1300A & AXV CD/DVD-ROM.
    GeForce4 Ti 4200-128MB, OS– XP sp1.[/small]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2004