1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Illegal Navigation Error Encountered on split movie

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by scsi_boy, Nov 20, 2002.

1. scsi_boy

scsi_boy Guest

Hello Everyone:

I split Saving Private Ryan into 2 discs. The split played ok in disc-1 until at the very end of the disc-1, it gave me an "Illegal Navigation Error Encountered". The next error message came up indicating that it cannot read part of the disc file. Is there a fix for this?

I tried Derrow's recommendation by making the movie to jump to playing the movie right away, but that did not fix the problem.

I tried splitting a different point, but that didn't do the trick either.

Any suggestions from anyone?

2. forker

forker Member

I'm not exactly sure why this is happening, but it is something contained in the original VIDEO_TS.IFO file about what to do after title 1 is played. It tries to play another file, perhaps something like VTS_04_0.IFO or whatever, but that file is not on your disk/in your directory. If I remember correctly, the menu and extras for Private Ryan aren't worth keeping, so this is what I recommend you doing... Get ifoedit091 (I just prefer this for splitting) and split it to 2 discs. Then open the resulting VTS_XX_0.IFO and use ifoedit095 or any other version to do all the normal options, but do not split, on the new half-size DVD's. make sure to select strip streams and create new ifo's. Keep all streams and then strip to a new directory. Do this for both of the half-size discs. You'll get an error about "cannot find VIDEO_TS.IFO seems it doesn't exist" but do not worry, IFOEDIT has created a completely new one for you in the final folder. Open the final VIDEO_TS.IFO in each and do Get VTS Sectors. Tada, that should be two flawless discs. I have never had any problem when using this method because it causes ifoedit to create a completely new DVD for you, removing any chance for errors.
    If you prefer to keep the menu and extras, there are ways to do that, but read the guides.
    Good luck.

3. scsi_boy

scsi_boy Guest

Thank you Forker for replying. Just want to make clear of your recommendation.

1. split Saving Private Ryan even with menu and extras into two discs.

2. use the first set of two discs to strip stream and create new ifo for "movie only"
    on each disc and create the second set of two discs.

3. then "get vts vectors" on the VIDEO_TS.IFO of the second set of two discs and then burn to dvd.

If I made an error in interpreting your procedure, please reply to fix any steps. Thank you very much for you help.

4. scsi_boy

scsi_boy Guest

Forker,

it worked!!! you are a genius!!! :)
    Thank you !!!