1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ilo and Macrovision DVDR04

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by lynamgirl, Dec 28, 2004.

1. ilohell

ilohell Guest

Yes, they are finalized just like the Rs. But once you finalize an RW you will not be able to write to it again.

2. priceb

priceb Member

thanks ilohell. i just realized what your user name means!

3. adambrann

adambrann Member

To all,

If there is any confusion on how to update the ILO DVDR04/HD04 recorders, I have added instructions to my firmware site on how to do it. Also note, the factory firmware files are at the top of each recorder section, hacks are at the bottom. All files have been tested successfully so if there is a proplem with the update, try re-downloading the file. It may have corrupted during download.

If the hack update was successful, you will see an LP 3-hour mode. There is no Macrovision hidden menu. Macrovision is just disabled in the recorder. The only way to test it is to try and copy a VHS/DVD that wouldn't copy before. If there are any questions, you can e-mail me from the site. I will try to answer them.

4. ilohell

ilohell Guest

Hi adambrann,
    I tried the download file for my serial number and after it was done, the message was "FILES" no "VERIFIED". The ILO site instructions were followed. I turned off the recorder after for 2 minutes and when I turned it on again and tried to copy a VHS I had the same problems.
    How do I get to your site to view your instructions?
    Thanks

5. adambrann

adambrann Member

My download page is
    http://www.ss3f.com/ilo/
    The instructions for the update are linked at the top of the page.

Also to all,

If , for any reason the 1097 update doesn't work at first, try the 1095 hack first and then do the 1097. You shouldn't have to do this because all of the 1097 hacks have been tried and work fine but it is a way to verify the hack installs properly

Also, contrary to popular belief, there is no 'Macrovision' hidden menu. The hack will just disable it. The only difference you will visually see is the addition of the 3-hour LP mode on the recording quality screens.

The only hidden menu there is, is the one to make the recorder region free. The instructions for that are also linked on the site.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2005
  6. priceb

priceb Member

i downloaded the 1097 hacked version and everything seems to have did what it was supposed to. i saw the 3 hr. mode feature, but i haven't tried to record a copy protected vhs tape or dvd yet. is a copy protected dvd supposed to be able to be recorded also?

7. ilohell

ilohell Guest

My problem is I have the ILO DVDR04 and I was getting kicked out while copying from VHS to DVD intermittently with a message that said "Protected content" or something like that. So, I had to back up the tape and restart under a new Title. The copy was gittering and there were harringbones every now and then. The audio was fine.

I installed the new firmware dated 1/1/05 today and it worked. By that I mean I now do not get kicked out anymore. But, the copy is still gittery and still getting harringbones. Is this caused by the MV copywright? I thought that if the firmware was updated that the MV copywright would be disabled.

I also went to the hidden menue and selected "Region Free".

Does anybody have a clue as to why this is happening?

8. lynamgirl

lynamgirl Member

I havent ran across that, I did record a Copyrighted tape (for my own use) and it seemed to work great. No problems.

9. whompus

whompus Active member

ilohell
    That may be caused by auto tracking on the vcr with that tape. You mentioned that was the only one doing this. If you can try to turn off auto tracking to test it. Or if you got another vcr around somewhere give it a try.

10. bignz

bignz Member

priceb- yes copyrighted DVD can be copied now.
    This method is my "work-around" for the ones that choke on dvdshrink ;-)

11. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

[bold]bignz wrote:[/bold]
    For DVD's that crash with DVD Shrink, Use DVD Decrypter to get the DVD contents into a folder, then use DVD Shrink to make it fit on 1 disc.

DVD Shrink crashes usually do to an encryption that it can't crack. DVD Decrypter is better at the protection removal process. After backing up using DVD Decrypter, use DVD Shrink and use the "OPen Files" option to open the folder on the hard drive. Then you can continue with the shrinking process. It's a lot faster than real time copying of the DVD.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2005
  12. bignz

bignz Member

Gtrman thx but decrypter choked too when doing soem titles. do i IGNORE? or RETY? and do i save as FILE i/o ISO, IFO?
    i havent had luck with decrypter in any of the cases where dvd shrink chokes

will ignoring a sector work? i assumed (my bad apparently) that that would cause an error as it did back in the PSX copy days

13. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

I have had a couple of DVD's give an error with the choice to ignore, which I did and when it was done, the DVD played fine. It would be worth a try.

I always use Decrypter in FILE mode unless I want to re-author the video. Then I use IFO mode and make sure it rips the video to 1 large file instead of splitting it up. That way I can edit it as 1 clip and use an authoring package to create a DVD with custom menus.

Also, make sure you are using the latest versions. There was just recently a new version of DVD Decrypter released.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2005
  14. bignz

bignz Member

thx ill try it next time. what authoring software do you use? i want to create custom menus beyond the basic ones. any ideas?

15. Holtzy

Holtzy Guest

Ive used the firmware updates for 1097 for my serial number but couldnt access the 3hr mode. Upon installing the 1095 hack the 3hr mode showed up and i recorded Last of the Samuri and it looks good. My question is do my system updates from the 1097 program i ran earlier have to be reinstalled? Thank you!

16. bignz

bignz Member

holtzy
    try this link for more info http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=249800

but after the 1097 i dont see the need for 1095. it essentially removes macrovision, so installing a hack to soften it is useless its gone! -dont get much softer :)
    the 1097 worked flawlessly for me and i have had no interuptions

Now i may be wrong, but read the link i sent
    Peace

17. bignz

bignz Member

opps i see you did the 97 first and then the 95 sorry. i only did the 97 and had 3 hours and no macrovision. I would suggest use it and if you dont get any issues u r good 2 go

18. Axel563

Axel563 Member

I did the Macrovision and LP hack upgrade. I'm sure that this has violated the warranty. If I now load one of the Ilo upgrades will that restore the firmware so that the warranty would now be honored?

19. michaels_

michaels_ Member

Sup sup?

Just registered and wanted to drop a bomb and say you guys and this forum is so ILL. I love this site. I probably won't be posting much, but will be reading most of the time.

I've been doing the forum thingy for quite some time. I'm a mod on another forum and I think forums are the greatest thing ever.

Just recently purchased the ilo DVDR04 model just for kicks to get rid of my home vids and some old VHS movies. Low and behold I ran into the Macrovision problem and you guessed it...googled it. Gosh what would we do without google?

Moving on, I was in search for firmware to remove the Macrovision and this is how I found this.

Just wanted to say thanks for the great infos. I downloaded the firmware from the recommended site http://www.ss3f.com/ilo/r04.htm and it works beautifully. My home vids, VHS movies and DVD movies work great and I have you guys to thank for this.

So mad props!!!

Lates,
    Michael

20. mjreid

mjreid Member

has anyone tried connecting their ilo between a satelite box and the tv?