1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ilo Dvd recorder Questions?

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by 80sMusic, Feb 28, 2005.

1. 80sMusic

80sMusic Member

Ive had this DVD recorder for about a month now and have run it ragged transfering home movies ect. over to DVD. Probably done 100 dvds now so I have found a few problems along the way.
    Biggest problem is that it likes to look up sometimes. Even to the point you cant turn it off. Easy cure... Unplug it like a satellite system and its back to normal.
    Heres my problem. I noticed when I run the satellite box through the dvd recorder to the tv that the Picture on the tv not very good. Now if Im recording to DVD. The DVD comes out fine so im assuming it must be the dvd player/recorder cuasing the problem. If I hook my Satellite directly to tv and by pass the dvd recorder the picture is perfect.
    Any suggestions????

Second.. Recording VHS Tapes (Store boughten or rentals) Apprantley not all VHS tapes are blocked from being recorded. Can someone tell me how it is the copyright blocking works? Was it set up to block VHS from being copied to VHS or does it also block from being recorded to DVD. Also are the older VHS tapes the same?
    Thanks

2. 80sMusic

80sMusic Member

Were I put look on previous message should have been Lock up and this is a Home entertainment unit

3. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

Which ILO recorder do you have, the R04 or the HD04?

Make sure you have the latest firmware loaded for it. This may fix your lockup problem.

If you are viewing your satellite signal through the recorder, you are seeing a processed signal since the output of the ILO is after the mpeg converter. If you are using the COAX RF connector, this will also degrade the signal since the tuner in the ILO isn't very good and is only MONO. Your best bet, assuming you have more than 1 input on your TV, is to run the satellite straight to the TV. The satellite box should also have A/V outputs. Run those to the rear A/V-2 inputs on the back of the ILO. Run the A/V outputs of the ILO to a second input on the TV. If you are using a VCR to transfer your tapes, get a $20.00 switch box from Radio Shack and plug the A/V outputs of the satellite and VCR into it and run the box to the ILO. This way you don't degrade your signal to the TV and you can easily switch between the VCR and Sat for recording. The reason for the switch and not using the front inputs is because the front inputs on the ILO will introduce a hum into the recording.

As far as VHS tapes, some have MacroVision and some don't. The ones that do, the recorder senses it and will not record. This is where hacked firmware comes in. On my ILO Firmware Download Page, you can find the latest regular and hacked firmware for both ILO recorders. There is also a link to a Smart Firmware Hacking Tool that you can use to hack the firmware file yourself. Use the tool on UNHACKED firmware only.

The hacked firmware will disable the MV sensing allowing you to backup all the VHS tapes, protected or not. It will also give you an LP 3-hour recording mode and set the recorder to 'region free', meaning you can play DVD's from other countries.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, you can e-mail me from my site. Good luck!!!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2005
  4. 80sMusic

80sMusic Member

Hey GTRman,
    Yeap that was a big help. I appreciate the info!!!!!!!!. I always wondered how that blocking works. I dont try to record any recent releases unless its on Pay per Veiw. However the older VHS Tapes that either havent or will never be sold as dvds I will be transferring.