1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ILO DVD Recorder

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by tony_marq, Dec 13, 2004.

1. tony_marq

tony_marq Guest

I recently purchased this ILO DVD recorder and recorded several movies on DVD-R, in various recording lenght modes.

Now I find that the DVD-R will not play on either my PC's DVD, or in another of my stand alone DVD player. Yet, it will play on the ILO. Has anyone had this problem?

It appears that I can only play these DVD-Rs on my ILO player and nowhere else. What's the point!

2. gserve

gserve Member

Do you mean DVD+R DVD+RW? disks? This unit uses DVD+R and DVD+RW disks. Most newer DVD playeras will play them. I have 3 other DVD players and 2 of the 3 will play them.You will have to finalize the DVD+R disks.

3. tony_marq

tony_marq Guest

DVD-R. If by finalizing you mean record through the entire space, okay I'll try that.

I had set-up Ilo to record approx. 1.5 hrs. of disk space. I am assuming that it needs to complete the entire 1.5 hr to become readable in other units, corret?

4. gserve

gserve Member

You need to use DVD+R or DVD+RW disks! You also need to finalize it. Read the owners manual. DVD+RW disks don't need to be finalized. If your DVD+R disk is not finalized it will only play on the Ilo.

5. tony_marq

tony_marq Guest

Thanks. I recording it down. I'll post the results later tonight.

Thanks again.

6. tony_marq

tony_marq Guest

Okay that works and I finalized the disk.

7. tony_marq

tony_marq Guest

Thank you Gserve.

8. DiscDrive

DiscDrive Member

I have a question about the ILO DVD recorder also....I am trying to backup all of my VHS tapes....when I set it and let it go sometimes I find that the ILO stops recording about half way through...what am I doing wrong?

9. tony_marq

tony_marq Guest

If your Ilo is like mine, set it up so that the display bar appears on top of the screen, you do this by selecting "Display" button on the remote control. Now you can see the recording information on the bar.

Now notice that as you tap the recording button and continue to tap it, the display time increases in length by increments of 1/2 hour. I suspect that the problem you're having is that the lenght is not properly set. The system is sensative to this button.

Note, that you may also have to go to the "System" menu to increase the time length. But, try the above first. Also note that the higher the recording time the lower the quality of the recording.

Hope this helps.

10. DiscDrive

DiscDrive Member

Thanks Alot...will try that :)

11. gserve

gserve Member

diskdrive. Your problem may be related to macrovision sensitivity.You should get the firmware update from Ilo.I emailed tech support and asked them to email me the firmware file as an attachment and they did.

12. DiscDrive

DiscDrive Member

gserve...would you please send me the file or give me the e-mail address? Thanks. removed

Last edited: Dec 18, 2005
  13. gserve

gserve Member

14. freaky1

freaky1 Member

I have the ilo w/o the hard drive. How do install the firmware to these machines.

15. gserve

gserve Member

Burn the file on to CD-R and finalize. Then put burned disk into the ilo recorder. It will update from there.

16. freaky1

freaky1 Member

Sounds easy enough. Thanks

17. rogerrow

rogerrow Member

I bought the ilo040 from Walmart. Maybe I got a lemon but avoid this machine at all costs!!!!!

It looks nice and simple in recording. But on the first day the sound started scratching on all recordings. I checked earlier recordings and they were o.k. The later ones were ruined. I checked all combinations of wiring. It was definitely the recorder.

Then when after I finalized five disks, none of them played on a Cyberhome DVD player which is a new player. I just got the root menu and no video (even though they looked fine -- and still do -- on the ILO).

I also bought a maxent dvd recorder from tigerdirect because I was wanting to do some hardcore conversion. There were none of these problems with that recorder. They planned fine on the cyberhome and there's been no sound problems.

I feel I wuz robbed at Walmat.

Avoid this recorder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. adambrann

adambrann Member

I have set up a page with the different DVDR04/HD04 firmware files for download. The link is next to my signature at the bottom of this post. It has hacked firmware for the non HDD model to disable Macrovision and add the LP 3-hour mode.

ILO DVDR04/HD04 Firmware Download Page
    http://www.ss3f.com/ilo/

19. wclerma

wclerma Member

My question was about finalizing the DVD so it will play in other players. By reading the previous postings, it looks like what I need to do is to let the recorder run until it reaches the end of the DVD. Is this correct?
    I bought the Ilo DVD+r to convert VHS and to make DVD's from my digital movie camera.
    Thanks.

20. tafkam

tafkam Guest

"Finalize" does not mean filling up the disk, it means you are basically closing the disk and it can not be recorded on any more. On the Ilo you should have a button on your remote called "osm" for on screen menu, and there you will see the option to finalize a disk. Notice that there is also an erase option but that is for DVD RW (re-writable) not DVD R's which are "write once". To make matters a little more confusing, sorry, the DVD R's are actually writeable more than once but you can only add on to what is already there, not erase or record over. That is, until the disk is finalized, then it can be played on most any other DVD player.

Since you are transferring VHS to DVD you are probably best off using the DVD+R as they are cheaper and you probably will not want to re use the disk once you have transferred your video. So, I would fill up the disk to make the most of the space, but you can finalize it at any time, just remember that at that point the disk is no longer able to be recorded on. Hope that helps, I just got my Ilo and so far so good, it is my first DVD recorder and I am pretty impressed for the price.

Mike