1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ILO DVD Recorder

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by tony_marq, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Jweiler3

Jweiler3 Member

PS if you remove the cover , be sureto unplug it & DO NOT TOUCH THE Transformer or main board ,It Gives a good shock :)

2. appealing

appealing Member

I totaly agree, the ILO's have poor circulation. I have a hole circuler cut in my top and installed a cooling fan to suck out the hot air. That made a world of difference. That is anouther Idea to toss around.

3. jbrennan8

jbrennan8 Member

Thanks jweiler. I am assuming it is the dvd drive that casues the unit to not finalize. Will any dvd rw drive work, or do I need to use a specific type ? thanks

4. Jweiler3

Jweiler3 Member

I would think that any dvd drive would do however I always made sure they ran at least at 16x , , Ihave tried a memorex , a lite-on , & a sony , all were 16x & used both DVD-R & DVD+R , , you need be sure your drive can read/write DVD+R or it may not work , , Good luck & lets hear how it goes , Thanks

5. 2confuzed

2confuzed Member

Well just for fun I thought I would give you an update. To recap things. It was about 1 year ago that my ILO after two weeks of use failed, although I technically had owned it since July 15th of 05. To date I have had a total of maybe 6 weeks of use, during the times they bothered to send it back, the first time it was gone about 4 months and arrived back as broken as it was when I sent it in, the last time i sent it in was in lat August. So her i sit without it, in 18 months I've had maybe 6 weeks of it working, totally it recorded maybe 50 or so and made about as many coasters.
    In the meantime I bought 3 other DVD recorders and RCA dual tape/disk, it made it to 495 recorded before giving problems and I haven't had it to use since lat June either, then I got a Liteon with the upgraded software, record from, copies ANY disk or tape, from any area/zone. I'm now waiting for the 4th one to arrive, the first one was just not good right out of the box, made weird noises, the last two I'm thinking had a dust problem but as the case is sealed i couldn't open it up to clean anything and had to send them back, works great when they do then they start making data discs. I own lots of un-useable data disks.
    Now I have a TRUTECH, very cheap at Target, hey I've got recording to do, the Satellite system hard drive was getting full up, it only hold 96 hours or movies. So far it's a nice little unit, 1 to 6 hours recording times, has all the inputs and outputs even DVi on the front panel, up to disc number 29 so far.
    I guess maybe I'm cursed when it comes to digital recording, the greatest un-luck of the draw when it comes to picking he worst one they made out of the pile.
    But it is the service from WAL-MART that stinks, I can't say ILO because they refused to even talk past the model number just told me to call WAL-MART and hung up.
    And there you go, what a year, what an expense to have boughten 4 recorders, at least I'll be all set when they all get back in working order.
    I'm looking forward to the change to HD/DVD or what ever the one not Blu-ray is, as I hear it is backwards compatible, where Blu-ray is not.

If and when I ever get the ILO back I'll post a new update. At the current rate I figure they will be sending it back to me with additional 90 days warranty for the next several years.
    I keep asking that they just give me a new one, but no they want to fix this particular one again and again and again.

6. dsvm2004

dsvm2004 Member

i have downloaded the firmware for a liteon lvw5104 and have hacked it using the software that mr wizard provided and have burned the firmware to a cd-r and downloaded it did the process i checked to see the if the region was changed to region free also check the sn- version and it changed from the previous one that was originally installed dont remember extractly the #'s. i used the hacked software it stated that it was sucessfully hacked. i have tried copying a dvd and it states protected content and wont record. i have checked all the reforums and doesnt say anything about lvw5104 i would be apriciated if anyone could let me know if i am doing something worng thank you

7. appealing

appealing Member

I just recently baught the memorex recorder from Wal Marts and is very well worth the money. I have got no dud's and seem to run cool and without dud's too. The only down fall I seem to find the menu struture is odd. For the most it is well worth the money. I now just use my ILO's for playing DVD's. It was getting 1 out 10 dud's. Just trust me insted of messing with the ILO's invest in a memorex. You won't regret it. I haven't so far give me time and I will update if anything changes.

8. 2confuzed

2confuzed Member

Hi there,
    As it is now January 2007 I thought it would be proper to add to this

I am still without my ILO, and according to the last person I talked to they had no idea when I was going to get a replacement, that conversation was way back last month. I was shocked that she even used to word replacement and I asked her twice is she was using the right word. You see it's been supposedly repaired 4 times, well 3 and this last send back would make 4 I think. Its been so long I've lost count. I mean if you read any of my other posts then you might remember I bought it in July of 2005, but it did have a bar code sticker on the back dated 2002. I finally came to the conclusion it was one of those machines they just put back out on the shelf when someone returns it because it didn't work right.
    So this is getting into the THIRD YEAR and I have gotten a total of maybe a few weeks use out of it. They have had it going on 4 plus months this time. I am not impressed with Wal-Marts customer service for anything electronic I can tell you that with great sincerity.

In the meantime the little Trutech DVCR I picked up at Target is chugging right along, recorded number 89 today. And it has yet to fail a disc. Speaking of discs as I'm running low I went shopping lst night for a good deal, finally found one at CompUSA, 50 packs of DVD +R for $12.99, I ordered 4 of them, 200 discs, and also a 25 pack of DVD +RW for about the same price, they are both the Memorex brand. I opted for the pick in the store option to save the shipping costs since I have to go into town anyway, I thought that was a nice option for them to offer.

I had started out shopping at Amazon, found what I wanted then looked in the new and used section to find out who had them for less and then went to their site. There were a few companies listed but CompUSA was the least priced, and I have burned hundreds of that brand with nary a coaster in the pile.

But get this way down the list was one company selling 50 pack of DVD + R's for $79.98, I could barely believe my eyeballs, what a nerve even listing them at that price; but the really hilarious part is they were listed as refurbished. I don't know how one would go about refurbishing a blank DVD, think that's why they cost so much more?

And so that's my stories update for January 2007.
    Wal-Mart just plain sucks as far as my experience with them and ILO goes, ILO simply refused to talk to me once I mentioned the model number, they just gave me a worthless phone number to call and hung up.

I am now going to go looking for a HD/DVD player, I read last night that when you buy a movie for HD/DVD it typically has a regular DVD version on the other side. And the growing consensus out there is that Blu-ray isn't going to make it, that it's going the way of the Beta-max, something you youngsters probably won't remember, it lost the war to VHS, because you couldn't get a movie on one tape. Sony, in its infinite wisdom built the tape cassettes for just one hour, great for home movies and such but not for where the real money would turn out to be, Hollywood movies.

Have a Happy New Year

9. racoon8

racoon8 Member

What Burner would you use in the DVDRHD04

10. ducebag

ducebag Member

I purchased an ilo dvd r05 thinking it would be a great way to put my tapes on dvd etc THIS WAS THE BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!
    when it was just 10 months old the forein peice of crap started having troble burning DVD`s reckonizing dvd rw that i had recently burned and most of the time it wont even load a DVD movie i have tried everything to fix it and nothing i tried to e-mail the company and my computer says invalid e-mail adress i think the company purposly gave me a faulty e-mail adress knowing there product was faulty
    whatever you do DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!!!!!!
    1 sentence describing this product is forein peice of .......

11. ducebag

ducebag Member

12. ducebag

ducebag Member

wal mart stoped selling them because there to embaresed to continue selling these pieces of crap!

13. ducebag

ducebag Member

14. 2confuzed

2confuzed Member

Hey there, it's me, again
    Well Wal-mart finally sent me a brand new Liteon LVW 5115 GHC to replace the original piece of junk they sold me, almost 18 months later. This one seems to be working just fine, well at least for now. I have only recorded about 2 dozen movies so far; but I like the way this one works way better than the old 04 model
    I did learn one interesting thing along the way, now that I own 4 different brands of DVD recorders, one a dual deck, tape and disc.
    That when many of them stop working, stop recognizing the discs or refusing to record on them, that the problem is often dirt on the laser lens, and the lens cleaner discs don't do the full job. To get the job done you need to get direct acess to the lens and clean it with alcohol and a Q-tip or something similar. The problem is you can't do that while they are under warranty, because you need to break the seal to the case to gain access to the laser lens. So file this away for future reference, for after your warranty expires.

I am hoping now that all 4 or mine are working, all 4 are brand new, three are brand new replacements, all those are updated, they are newer models than what I originally bought; and so I am hoping they will last me until I make the move up to HD recording. But I won't do that until after the ashes have settled in the format war now raging. I am betting that the HD/DVD will win in the end, if for no other reason than it's backwards compatibility. In the meantime I'm going to look into one of the upgrade boxes, then ones that upgrade the signal of regular DVD to the new HD format. I hear some of them work very well.
    And that is my update on my DVR/Wal-mart adventure. Never again will I buy anything electrical at a Wal-mart and if I can help it I will never buy any thing from them again.

15. jimdog

jimdog Member

finally gave up on the ilo--i kept it limping along with the tips in this thread--turn it on ealy to warm it up--unplug it for awhile--office depot disks di work the best--but what a pain in the neck--and would not recognize many netflix movies or just act like they were damaged--they were'nt--once i ditched the ilo, all movies have worked just fine--wal-mart and ilo ripped my parents off--it was a present--i returned the 1st for another and got a worse one--then i didn't have the receipt--easier to just go somewhere else and get another--magnavox--dual--play and record--not a glitch yet--it's like i stopped hitting my toe with a hammer-- it feels so good now--

16. zoomxp

zoomxp Guest

It seems, that, I am the only one, whos ILO ever worked. Worked, that is untle a few months ago. It stoped, finelizing, the discs. I think it's a programing prob. Any ideas, as where to get a programing disc??
    Zoomxp

17. slail

slail Member

Ok, so we have a crappy recorder. I haven't been able to record one thing. I want the shows off my cable DVR. The problem seems to be the channel the tv is on and where the wires are hooked up. I can't find my owner's manual but even when I had it nothing seemed to work. Any suggestions on how this needs to be hooked up through Time Warner cable to record my DVR shows onto DVD?

18. CrazCanuk

CrazCanuk Member

Hi Slail, try sending the S-video with audio to your line input, choose the appropriate source (A/V line 1 or A/V line 2) and record. Dependant on what model the ...04 series are made by Liteon of which I own a few models, these are very good units as you can easily replace the drive and/or hardrive which I have done.

The ...05 series are made by Cyberhome, not so good (the word out there is that the MU model is better than the ZU model) and cannot be hacked and haven't heard anyone replacing the drives in these 05 units.

Certain channels (video-on-demand for example) will not record on the 05 units due to copy protection protocols like CPRM. The 04 units can be updated through hacked firmware application to by-pass these copyright protocols to record (see following site)http://www.ss3f.com/ilo/index.htm. Good Luck

CC

19. appealing

appealing Member

The S-Video In is the best pitchure to record from. You can use a search like google for hook up directions if need. I lost my manual and I wanted it to look up certain menu options for my ILO 05. My ILO wont record no more after a year, but it work as a dvd player. I loved my ILO it had alot of option on it verses my current memorex dvd recorder. For us folcs that look for deals we have to deal with what we got. Currently I am looking for ILO 05 models for parts. I want to rebuild mine. I had my record settings on 7 hours and had real good recordings. Anything more you will find very drastic loss in pitchure, I tried 2, 4, 6,7, and found 7 a good comprimise to save cost on volume on use of DVD's. Any question feel free to post questions.

20. slail

slail Member

Thanks for the advice. I will try the s-video. It is an 05 that I have. What are you getting for these to use for parts? If I don't get it going I will consider selling it.