1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ILO DVD Recorder

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by tony_marq, Dec 13, 2004.

1. appealing

appealing Member

I haven't considered a price to buy them, I know from other people have had tuner issues. I have anouther one that don't work ither, after about 50 dvd's burn it wore out. Consider buying a magnayvox from walmarts it cost about 80 and so far no duds with that one. The model I is Magnavox MWR 10D6. They even have some recorders with a hard drive in them now. I don't need a dvd recorder with a hard drive I have Dish DVR, and Direct DVR, I burn them directly haven had one I could't burn yet.

2. wiztstar

wiztstar Member

After Reading the message concerning cleaning the laser on a DVD-R (or any laser lens for that matter) I'd like to add that you Should NOT use alcohol; the lens is plastic and alcohol with melt it. You are better off using warm water on a Q-tip, or maybe Eye Glass cleaner.

3. Brit1950

Brit1950 Member

This is my first 'post' here and I am definitely technologically challenged. After reading some of the messages, it's embarressing to admit, but I own a Ilo DVD Recordere DVDR04. I get's even worse...it was purchased from Walmart in 2005. In my defence it did seem a good deal at the time! We set it up to record programmes from our TV but when it's finished the disk is either a) empty (didn't record) or b) it MIGHT have recorded but won't finalise, it used to not now. I have emailed Ilo and explained the above and will be interested to read their reply. I find the problem with it not recording really annoying, I get comments 'did you set it up correctly', well yes I did, I even have the manual handy and after two years I don't think I should need the manual. I know I'm challenged but I'm not dumb!

4. appealing

appealing Member

Are you using + R's or - R's DVD's? When I had my ILO 04 working I manualy finalized them. I used Memorex DVD + R's untill they changed there media, I even tried recently TDK + R. They all don't work now, all I can suggest is borrow media from from friends to try on your ILo. I also had my ILO set on 7 hours and always had good quality. I know about getting stuff out of a box and not working. To bad to hear about that, I did love my ILO 04 when it was working properly. All I can suggest if you can resolve it is get a wal marts Memorex DVD recorder it is alot better then ILO. I paid $90 for min and love it alot better then my ILO. Any question feel free to post here.

5. lynamgirl

lynamgirl Member

I have had my ilo for a while it is the 04 without the hard drive. I have had it for about 2 years. Recorded hundreds of movies. I have always used the same brand of DVD's. Now it recording movies,and if I do not finalize it right away, it will not finalize. It will say invalid disc. I have used a cd lens cleaner in it, but it still isnt working. It does fine if I watch it and finalize it as soon as it is over. Any suggestions?

6. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

Brit1950

No defense is needed The ilo 04 is a good machine Ilo is a WallMart brand. The ilo 04 was made by Liteon.
    The machine is a +R/RW disk ONLY and does not burn – disks. The +R require finalizing to play on another mfg. unit, the +RW disks do Not require it

Are you using any +RW disks? If so there may be a reason, related to the disk erase/format that can lead to the unit indicating it is recording when it is Not and when an attempt to play it the disk may report that its empty.
    The unit sounds as though it should burn a disk ok
    The problem in finalizing, if a +R disk, might be a problem, but it may be an issue brought on by frustration. Believe me this can happen to anyone.

Lynamgirl

The problem described is usually caused by a mistake made when removing a +R disk prior to finalizing it. --- [but not always]
    Take a +R disk and record anything for about 10 min and than stop, When ready remove it. Do Not Finalize it the unit should display a note that the disk will require finalizing prior to playing on another machine.
    Place it back in. The disk should read 10 min. used and the rest avail. You can repeat this and than finalize it For this test make sure the same recording is used [SP, LP, etc] and No attempt has been made to play the disk in another machine prior to finalizing on the recorder it was burned on.

A note on the 04
    The 04 is very sensitive It wants to finish doing its thing before another command [button press] Pressing a button on the remote prior to allowing the unit to finish its thing can confuse it and cause an unwanted result.
    If a button on the remote is held to long, the unit will think it was given the command more than once and can produce an undesired result
    This is easy to do [myself included] when trying to hurry the unit

PS
    I have two Ilo RHD04, two ilo R04, two Lite0n 5045, three Liteon 5005. At present I would not part with any

Also in reading many posts.
    If any one has a ilo RHD04 or R04 and considers it junk or unusable please don’t junk it. Let me know [any condition] and if the price is right I will buy it. Same for the Liteon 5045,5005 5006

I have not had any problem with any mfg. disk that I didn’t cause myself.

7. ydkjman

ydkjman Member

Man is 2004 when these things came out? I can't beleive that I have had mine that long and it's still ticking. I haven't had any problems with mine. Still loving it.

8. TENNSTORM

TENNSTORM Member

Hi.... sorry if this is not the right place for this question, but it seemed like the appropriate thread. I have an ILO DVD player/recorder that has recently went on the fritz and not sure what to do. I have since bought anothe recorder (RCA), but would like to get this one fixed. I have owned it for about a year and loved it. What happens if my memory serves me right- when I went to turn it off, it would not turn off to set the timer.... it just kept saying "HELLO". It would play a dvd, but the whole while, it would still say "HELLO"- no display. There was one instance where I could barely see the red "timer" light and it was flicking. Also, shortly before all of this started going bezerk, when I would turn the power off- I would hear a high pitched whistling sound coming from it. It did this for about a month before it conked out. I am not sure if that problem was linked or not.

I know its probably to late to send it back to the company (if they even still exist), because the place where I bought it does not even sell them anymore.... and the repair shops we call say that they do not work on them. Has anyone else had this experience with these machines and/or had any luck in repairs? What do you recommend I do- trash it?

Thanks in advance!

9. wiztstar

wiztstar Member

A high-Pitch whistle usually implies a capacitor going bad, usually in the power supply. If you really wanna get it fixed, you will need to consult a local repair person, maybe a TV repair dealer that knows power supply theory; that's just my guess.

Al Cannon

10. iLO4ME

iLO4ME Member

11. iLO4ME

iLO4ME Member

HEY DUCEBAG;
    WHAT I FOUND OUT ABOUT THE ILO AND THE CYBERHOME IS THAQT THE CYBERHOME WILL ONLY RECONIZE R- AND THE RECORDER WILL ONLY RECORD ON R+
    HOPE THIS HELPS YOU OUT

12. iLO4ME

iLO4ME Member

Hey lynamgirl;
    try cleaning the laser pick up with some warm water to get the aged residue off the pick up head.
    This should work and if it doesn't this is just going to be the NEW nature of your ilo...I have sold many on e-bay and also tell the folks that this may happen down the road..On time recordings if you are not there to finalize right at the of the movie it won't take either and you will have to record all over again..Try to stay on top of what you are recording and make sure you do the finalizing right after you are finished..
    Hope this helps you out

13. iLO4ME

iLO4ME Member

Hey fsrabger;
    try holding the POWER and STOP BUTTON in at the same time and just hold it there..It should open after a few seconds of this forced command that you are doing to the ilo...When it does open put a DVD head cleaner in a let it do it's thing..You should be all right for a while then.
    hope this helps

14. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

Ilo is a Wal-Mart Brand Name
    The Ilo 04 series both the R04 and RHD04 were made by Liteon.
    The Ilo 05 series were made by Cyberhome.
    Both are out of production and are not supported by either, nor Wal-Mart
    The 04 [forDVD use] is worth its weight in gold and is worth repairing
    The 05 is junk if does not work anymore.
    Both machines record +R/RW disks only but will play both + or – disks. In many ways the 05 has an easier play than the 04 and will play some that the 04 won’t.

By the problem description [ Hello –and the low display output]
    The comment, by [wiztstar] about the power supply being bad could be valid and it should be looked at and tested. The fact that it will play would indicate the drive is ok and has sufficent power for play but not record. Tha would be a first
    I would doubt that a lens cleaning would correct the problem mentioned.

Again the 04 cannot be replaced and should be repaired.
    If anyone feels the ilo 04 is a bummer and wants to junk it
    I will buy it --- [AND FIX THEM CORRECTLY] --- I don’t sell them

15. iLO4ME

iLO4ME Member

Like LCSHG says is true and I also will buy any ilo dvdro4 or the hdro4..They are good units when fixed the right way..I have one for sale on E-Bay as we speak...Sooo if anyone want s to get rid of there ilo or
    Lite-on 5001,5005 or 5007 or even the 5045 PLEASE LET ME KNOW.....
    iLO4ME

16. wiztstar

wiztstar Member

Making reference to "Originally posted by Brit1950:" If the unit plays, but will not record properly (meaning it: records but won't finalize, records, but then the dvd will not read,) this is a known problem that surfaced a few years ago. In my case, it turned out to be a bad dvd unit. If you were to remove the lid from the recorder, you'll find that it is a regular PC style DVD ROM unit mounted in the home style case. I went to Walmart and bought a 52x DVD ROM recorder for $30 bucks and replaced it; it doesn't fit in the cabinet, (I had to sit it on top)and it doesn't FF on playback, but the DVDs I record in it play great in a regular DVD Player with no problems. Go to the search engine at the top of the page and search for your model, makes for great reading.

17. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

wiztstar

The reason I asked Brit1950 if a +RW disk was used is if they are miss-handled they will operate as was said. They may even say they are recording when they are not. There can be other problems but many times a problem will be compounded due to frustration.
    Editing on a disk can lead to many problems, I have never had a + or -disk refuse to finalize even when removed and reordered on later

At present I have for My personal use two Liteon 5045 and three 5005, two ilo RHD04, twoR04, one 05, and one Accurian 3223.

For repair, etc [for friends] [at present] I have two 5045, a 5006, two RHD04 and one R04. I do not buy and sell the units I use them for parts or pass them on to friends.

If you have one of these discontinued units and are aware of its capabilities Do Not Let It Get Away. Even if not working or damaged.

The original DVD drive is not really a PC unit. A PC Drive Will fit inside the case on any Liteon /ilo unit. All my units have the PC drives inside the case but some now have the original drive back. If you do not have FF the replacement drive is most likely a 160 or later series, the sites given will list the drives to use for all functions and how to put them inside our outside the case

For more info
    http://www.tegholio.com
    [this site seems to be having some problems at this time]

http://www.normediasolutions.com/portfolio/

http://www.ncc2315.com/ilo/
    The hack and info at this site are free and are the ones that are sold on eby for $10 bucks or more and a number of venders would have you believe they did it.

PS
    Also there is a cross-flash available that will convert a R04 to a 5005x and visa-versa
    The advantage here is, if you don’t have a Liteon Allwrite unit and while the 5005x cannot be hacked it is All-write and will burn a
    – DVD or CD

18. TENNSTORM

TENNSTORM Member

Thanks Al.... I guess I should just trash it then... we called one local repair shop and they said no one worked on them. Maybe I should just check around... I bought another, but a RCA brand with a DVD recorder-player/VHS player. Its the same basic setup (menus basically the same). I really like it. Thanks again.

19. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

TENNSTORM

I would gather the Unit is an 05 and it might be better to trash it.

IF AN 04 DON'T
    It is of value and if you want to trash it DON'T [Sell it]

20. tmpreasst

tmpreasst Member

I don't know if I should have started a new tread, but I have a question about my ilo 05. I want to record football games for my husband who is in Iraq, but I don't know how. I have lost my manual and really haven't found anything on the internet to help. If anyont can give me step by step as to how to work the recorder I would really appreciate it! Also, I have purchased Memorex dvd-rw. Will they work with my recorder?