1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ILO DVD Recorder

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by tony_marq, Dec 13, 2004.

1. wburtnet

wburtnet Member

Thanks, Video-Pro and ande1352, for the responses. Video-Pro, did you really find a Lite-On for $99? I couldn't find one on the web for less than $199...

So, are ILO and Lite-On made by the same company? The members of this forum seem to use them interchangeably. Can I get an update for the ILO's that allows both +/- DVD recording, or is that only for the Lite-On?

It seems to me that, unless there are particular reasons not to, I will be getting the ILO DVD-recorder with the built-in HDD. I will mostly be burning DVD's for myself, and maybe my in-laws (if they can't read the DVD's, oh well, no harm, no foul.) You have to assume that, eventually, 99% of DVD players will be able to handle the formats that the DVD-recorders use.

Thanks again for your help!!

---William Burtnett

2. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

wburtnet,

ILO recorders are made by LiteOn specifically for WalMart. The R04 is pretty much a LiteOn 5001 and the HD04 is what the unreleased LiteOn 5020 was suppose to be. The ILO recorders do not have the +/- ability but there are people trying to hack that into the firmware. The drives in the ILO are capable of +/- but the firmware is restricting it.

As far as playing ILO discs on other players, it is a crap shoot. My HD04 discs play on all my players with no problem but they will not play on some. It all depends on the players capabilities.

Good luck with your choice.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2005
  3. ydkjman

ydkjman Member

This is awesome if this happens.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2005
  4. allawy

allawy Member

I PURCHASED THE ILO DVDR04 FROM WALMART. I STARTED RECORDING ON A MEMOREX DVD+R DISC AND EVERY THING WAS WORKING FINE UNTIL I EJECTED THE DISC. WHEN I PUT DISC BACK IN THE ILO IT WOULD NOT RECOGNIZE THE DISC. IT WOULD EITHER SAY NO DISC, FAIL OR INVALID DISC. PLEASE HELP.

ALLAWYIMIAN@YAHOO.COM

5. gserve

gserve Member

First try a different brand of media and see if that works.

6. wburtnet

wburtnet Member

Thanks, Guitarman (and everybody else!) for your help. One last question: With the DVDRHD04, if I record a show to the HD, but then later decide I want to keep that show for posterity, can I burn that onto a disk?

I want to get the HD04, but I have one problem: My wife. She is leary of spending that much money on a "toy" for me. I just need more info to convince her that everybody (including my in-laws - my wife's parents) wins...

---William Burtnett

7. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

wburtnet,

Yes, you can copy the recording from the HDD to a DVD but the recording must fit. If you have recorded a 2hr show to the HDD in HQ mode, and then decide you want to keep it, you would have to split it into 2 recordings since a DVD will only hold 1hr in HQ mode.

If you have any inkling that you might want to save the recording, choose the record mode that will allow the full recording to fit on a disc.

8. odd1

odd1 Member

Gtrman,
    i downloaded your hacked 1098 and loved it, except that my tv tuner audio lost about 3db which increased the background hum. i backed it down to the ilo 1097 and it's back to where it was before. i noticed there's a revision to teh 1098(.es5) dated yesterday on ilohelp's website. is there any way to get your advantages and not get the audio problem, and is the ilo update actually newer than yours?

9. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

odd1,

They slipped that one by me!!! My site now has the new 3/14/05 1098 file, both hacked and normal. Try it and see if the audio stays the same.

10. odd1

odd1 Member

thanks. i'll load it this evening and see what happens and let you know. btw - do you know if the GoVideo r6740 has a better tuner? i noticed it has the same gui.

11. ydkjman

ydkjman Member

When ever a new update gets posted on their web site ilohelp I wonder why they don't mention what it does. I know alot of us here are keeping track of what they do but for someone that just goes out and buys one of these things and ends up at their web site how are they going to know what the update does?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2005
  12. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

This update is for the green tint issue.

13. ydkjman

ydkjman Member

But it's not for the HD04 model right ?

14. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

ydkjman,

You are right. It is for the R04. HD04 should be out in the next few days.

15. odd1

odd1 Member

Gtrman,
    i installed your 1098 and it seems to work well. thanks much!! the audio is still okay but the hum, which isn't as bad as it was when i installed the first 1098, is still there.
    i finally got two responses from ilohelp. one instructed me to return it for service the other said it is definitely defective and i should return it for service (kind of redundant). i have had three units and all three had the hum. everyone on the forums complain about the hum. is it possible these techs have hearing loss below 250hz or could they possibly have upgraded the component since dec2k4? i really don't want to send this to them and not have it for a month or so. i initially purchased it to archive miniDV tapes, old VHS & 8mm and also capture a few tv shows i miss when i go out. that's why i would like to get rid of the hum. is it worth trying to track down a better one (ilo), live with this one or find a cost efficient (budget-minded, CHEAP) unit that has a better tuner and an IEEE1394 connection?

16. odd1

odd1 Member

Gtrman - btw - i just noticed the lp(3hr)mode is not on the newest 1098.

17. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

odd1

Make sure you got the right one. There is the unhacked on the page and down toward the end of the page is the hacked one.

18. unixdude

unixdude Member

Hacked 1098(ES5) still has 3hr mode and MV defeat. Thanks a million, Guitarman!

19. odd1

odd1 Member

heyall,

my mistake. all is well; i might even keep this thing, even with the crap tuner problems. i'll keep waiting for better stuff (HD, better hardware & such)for the future in the mean time.

thanks and i'll keep you in the loop if i find any major issues. i'm just new at the dvd conversion and copying stuff. so far it worked fairly well. i noticed my antique apex player plays the +r's bur the ff&fr functions don't always work or work right. would -r's be better for universal playing?

20. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

odd1

-R's are suppose to be more universal. Unfortunately, the ILO only uses +R. If you have a DVD burner on the computer, you could always use a +RW to record on, rip it to the computer with DVD Decrypter and burn it back to a -R. When done, just erase the +RW and use it again.