1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ILO DVD Recorder

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by tony_marq, Dec 13, 2004.

1. hardlock

hardlock Member

Upgraded to the latest (hacked) firmware and tried a 3 hr record from tape. Had chapters set to 30 min.
    All went well I thought till trying to chapter through the film to see that it was all there. Disc is finalized BTW. Got about 1/4 through and unit hangs at next chapter request. If and when it reads, I get a frame, then hang, minutes later maybe another frame, or garbled pic, etc.

It does this on my PC also. You think just a bad disc? This is first DVD anything so not sure what the symptoms of a bad disc even is.

2. tuvok1701

tuvok1701 Member

I own the ILO dvdr04. I updated the firmware with the latest one dated 3/14/05. Then discovered that I wanted to use the hacked firmware. When I tried to update using 03/14/05 (hacked) It would not do anything. how may I fix this?

D

3. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

tuvok1701,

Go to the setup screen and do a system restore. Put the firmware disc in. If it doesn't start, turn the power off with the disc still in the recorder. Turn the power back on and it should prompt you to start the update.

4. tuvok1701

tuvok1701 Member

Hello thanks worked great have another ?? Had to return my first unit it was ruining discs, and basically would no longer record. Wal-Mart kindly replaced it. What is the general concensus is this a rare occurance, or am I to expect the second unit to fail on me as well

5. tuvok1701

tuvok1701 Member

im wondering if anyone has or will be creating a 2.5 hour speed hack for the unit

thanks

d

6. 80sMusic

80sMusic Member

So many questions/problems.... Here is a temp cure. Return it to WalMart if thats were you bought it and get another. Im already on my 3rd one. Walmart says just keep bringing them back until you get one that works properly.
    I do not have a cdr burner so I cant burn down fixes for mine. Its not even our job to do this. I thought when we bought something it was suppose to work correctly. Somebody forgot that when they made these ilos?
    I figure when I get sick of taking them back i will look at other options. Best I can tell though all of them have there problems.

7. tuvok1701

tuvok1701 Member

umm helle im not having a problem mine is working great... i was asking about the hacked firmware if it can be changed to allow for 2.5 hour recording

8. DiscDrive

DiscDrive Member

Hint of advice.....DO NOT BUY THIS RECORDER!!!...I have had 2 and they both have bad issues.....spend a little more money and get a name brand DVD-Recorder

9. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

What issues? I have a HD045 and the only issue I have is the green tint on play back, which is being worked on and was fixed on the R04. The ilo is a great unit for the price. Ilo and Wal Mart provide great support. The same for the this site and other sites for the iLo, like www.ss3f,com/ilo

10. unixdude

unixdude Member

Same here. Must be bad karma for DiscDrive. Enjoy the heck out of my DVDR04. Excellent support from Wal-Mart and iLO. Firmware updates (and hacks!) are great. Best $138 I ever spent.

11. bythec

bythec Member

I vote for the iLO DVDRHD04. I've faced a couple of glitches and learned (again) the hard way to read the manual and to follow Guitarman's directions. Remember that it's more like a computer than an appliance. I'm really impressed by what this machine will do and it's getting better with every firmware release/hack. I don't consider the +R/+RW a problem since I can buy 25 for $10 (Office Depot, Teon, Maxell and Mitsumi)and I've yet to have a coaster. All discs play equally well in any of 4 players I have and the iLO plays all my old stuff. I figure it's $278 well spent. I'd also recommend you toss $5 towards Guitarman's continuing effort - see his iLO page.

12. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

LOL!!! Thanks bythec.

New HD04 update available on the site. Fixes audio CD playback and green tint issues.

13. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

Right On. [bythec] Guitarman's advice and info are right on. So is the need to support his site.The new udate is most welcome. For what I do the ilo is much easer than a PC. Less software and better results,[I know somethings have to be done on the PC]. I have never failed, with this machine and different media, to burn a proper disk. Any burned disk properly finalized plays in my Apex, Go Video and cyberhome. As to failed downloads. I had a Sony [Name Brand] CD burner in my PC that gave me nothing but trouble. I threw it out, and installed a No Name CD burner. While 0nly 4x it works on any media all the time.
    Sorry about the comma Guitarman site is www.ss3f.com/ilo Use and support it.

P.S. On another forum it was mentioned that the burner in the ilo was capable of burning a -R disk and with the proper firmware it would. True/False

14. ydkjman

ydkjman Member

Did one of the members here get this update before they have posted it on their web site ?

15. tuvok1701

tuvok1701 Member

GTRMAN can you create a 2.5 hour hack

16. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

LCSHG
    True. The DVD burner in the HD04 is a LiteOn 451S dual format burner. That is why Mr. Wizard (who wrote the Smart Firmware Hacker) is working on a hack to convert the HD04 in to a LiteOn 5045. That way we would have all the features of that recorder (+/-r/rw). He is taking donations to buy a 5045 to continue the project.
    Donations can be made by going to my site and clicking the link to the Smart Firmware Hacker.

ydkjman
    Yes. Someone on another board got the file e-mail to him from ILO. I'm sure it will be on their site shortly, but can't keep everyone waiting!!!

tuvok1701
    The person to talk to about any other hacks would be Mr. Wizard. He is who created the Smart Firmware Hacker and has the knowledge to read the code. You can e-mail him be going to my site and clicking on the link to the hacking tool.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2005
  17. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

Gtrman

I understood that the ilo and LiteOn are basicly the same. If the Smart Hack works on both why can't the ilo use the LiteOn firmware.
    For info
    I have always had a problem with Macrovision. The tape Appolo 13 was realy bad. I was going to capture it, rip it etc. After the hack on the ilo the copy was perfect and a lot less trouble and time than a PC.

The green tint.
    I didn't notice a problem until I copied the Clint Eastwood movie [The Outlaw Jose Wales] The green tint was very noticeable throughout especially on beards, whiskers and faces.This was only on playback, the recording was ok. With the new firmware, the playback was 98% free of the green tint. I think the other 2% is me. This makes the ilo an even better buy.
    Thanks

18. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

tuvok1701

Do you think that the bit rate [video quality] would be any better in a 2.5 hr mode instead 0f 3 hr. I welcomed the 3 hr mode over the 4 hr. for better video. I have used both 2hr. and 3hr. modes. I find it hard to see a real difference between them. I don't think you would see any difference between 2.5hr and 3hr.

19. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

Other than the fact that 2.5 hour mode would probably be full D1 720x480 instead of Half D1 like 3 hour and below is.

As far as LiteOn and ILO firmware, the firmware is coded for the model it's for. If you try to put the wrong firmware on a recorder, it checks that ID and fails. This is why it is taking time to hack the ILO HD04 into a LiteOn 5045. You have to track down the code that is specific to the recorder and make sure it stays with the file.

20. ydkjman

ydkjman Member

Gtrman Your right let's not keep us waiting !!! This is so awesome what Mr. Wizard is doing for us and this player. He sure is going to get a donation from me.

Having this done for this player reminds me of when I bought my Norcent DVD player and all the hacks that came out for it.