1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ILO DVD Recorder

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by tony_marq, Dec 13, 2004.

1. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

Gtrman

Thanks for the info on the firmware. It must be like tracking down the code in a PC software program. With the 2.5 hr. mode being a full D1, it would make a better copy from a DVD. I didnt think of that and should have. I bet tuvok1701 thought of that. I was thinking VHS copy, A lot of programs are over 2hr. and right under the 2.5 hr. When I start making DVD copys. I would like the 2.5 hr at full D1 also. So there.

Seriously !!!!
    Yours, Mr Wizard, work, comments, information and web site are very much appreciated.
    Thanks

2. tuvok1701

tuvok1701 Member

that is along the lines of what I was thinking. Also it just plain seemed unefficient to me when you have a movie thats lets say 2 hours and 15 minutes and you record at the 3 hour mode it leaves a lot of blank room left. Seems to me it would best to not only remedy this but to increase the quality by having a 2.5 hour speed

3. wburtnet

wburtnet Member

Okay, I am an idiot, what do y'all mean by "D1"?

---wburtnet

4. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

Last edited: Apr 1, 2005
  5. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

Gtman

Great site and explanation. I'm not sure at what point in the graph a 2.5hr mode would fall. It looks like around the 6000kbps mark. Would the quality be any better or are we just filling the disk. I guess my question is. Is the detail or the resolution of a picture any better or worse if we have close to max. bit rate at half D1 or close to min. bit rate at full DI. I have used DVD Shrink to get a program [about 2.4 to 2.6 hr] to fit on a single R5 disk. The ilo is [in my opinion more simple]. The bit rate may be somwhat higher with Shrink more like the ilo in 2.5hr. but I don't see a real differance when viewing from 12 to 15 ft on a 32 to 36 in screen. A larger screen and or sitting closer could. The whole wall of a room could be a vedio screen. I think we would than need a resolution better than full D1. I like the ilo and with your hack its a great machine. The 2.5 hr would be great as most programs fall in this time area. For video quality I don't see it. I think we can all go nuts trying to get a video quility that isn't there, or we can't realy see in the first place.

6. freebird1

freebird1 Guest

ok for all of you guys that have a ilo dvdr04 i have a quick question.
    i recorded a disc in 6 hour mode and it played fine on the ilo but after finalizing and playing it back through my other dvd player which is a sanyo it looked terrible!
    the audio was out of sync with the peoples mouths and the picture kept on going into digital blocks.
    is it just not a good idea to record in the 6 hour mode becuz i had previously made a disc in SP and it played back just fine through two differnt dvd players.

thanx!

7. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

freebird1,

First thing to remember is that SLP 6-hour mode is mpeg1, not mpeg2. Also, there have been known problems with synch in the 6-hour mode.

Part of the issue may be the player you are using. It may have problems playing mpeg1 video, which is the same format as a Video-CD.

8. dill2220

dill2220 Member

i am recording a dvd to the dvd recorder, i get the picture just fine, but i am not getting the sound. It starts off with just a second of sound and then it quits, and goes silent. all connections are fine, would the upgraded firmware help this?

9. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

dill2220,

You should be using at least 1193RevA or RevB. 1194Beta will fix some other issues but is due to be replaced shortly.

10. DiscDrive

DiscDrive Member

just replaced my ILO with a Sony RDR-GX300...talking about a cadillac....spend a little more money and get a good recorder...stop using the ILO...you'll be glad you did

11. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

DiscDrive

Looked up the Sony RDR-GX300 It's some 2 1/2 times the cost of the ILO Thats a lot.[BUT] An item in the Sony spec cought my eye.THE SECOND ITEM refering to an IR blaster. I have dish Network Satellite service. One feature was the satellite reciever, when programed, will change to the selected channel, send an IR signal, and start a VCR receiver. The ILO will not. Dish Network said it would not provide this feature to any DVD recorder except their PVR units. [Wishfull Thinking] Ilo maintains the ILO has no IR code. [BS]
    I do not think it would make any difference if the recorder had an IR blaster. The reciever sends out a signal to start the recorder.

Will the satellite reciever operate the Sony

[Sony Spec.]
    The Timer Recording feature and Adjustable Recording Times (60-360 Minutes) enable simple TV to DVD recording. This DVD recorder has an IR blaster for satellite and cable-box control. Editing and title making is easy but on the +R and –R DVDs you can't edit the chapters within a show.

The Timer Recording feature and Adjustable Recording Times (60-360 Minutes) enable simple TV to DVD recording. This DVD recorder has an IR blaster for satellite and cable-box control. Editing and title making is easy but on the +R and –R DVDs you can't edit the chapters within a show.

12. Elsa

Elsa Guest

Hi GTRman. I downloaded the latest firmware fr ILo site but what i got was "system upgrade failed" when i installed it to my recorder. After that, the recorder wont respond to its remote control and wont recognize any disc that we put it. Im from the Philippines and just came back fr my vacation and i bought the unit fr Walmart just few days ago. I called the tech support of ILo and they told me to return the unit. Shipping the unit will cost me a lot. Is there any solution for this problem? Thanks

13. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

Elsa,

Most of the time, after a failed update, the recorder will prompt you for a valid firmware disc and will attempt the update again. There are rare instances when doing an update, the update will get to about 99% and fail, and then will not prompt for a firmware disc. I would try and re-download the firmware file, make a new update disc and place it in the recorder. If the update will not start, try turning off and unplugging the recorder with the disc in the drive. It may start during the power up. The last part of the firmware update is the drive update portion. If it fails durning this part of the update, it may have left the drive corrupted and unable to function, hence, unable to read the disc.

Another outside possibility is removing the DVD drive from the ILO, placing it in a computer and trying a firmware update to the DVD drive directly. The drive is a LiteOn 451S. Get the firmware update for this drive at the LiteOn site. This may get the drive back to a point that, once placed back in the ILO, will initiate the update process. Let me know how it goes.

14. lynamgirl

lynamgirl Member

I am getting fuzzy pics on certain channels. I have tried to use the finetune option but cant get it any better. Running it with cables, directly to the tv..any suggestions?

also, the last code I got to update my recorder was the one for Macrovision and the 3 hour code. Are there any new ones, and what do they do? Links?

Last edited: May 12, 2005
  15. Elsa

Elsa Guest

Thanks Guitarman. I will try to download a new firmware. How come the recorder would not respond to its remote control? I would love to try removing the drive from Ilo but what if it doesnt work, Walmart might not accept the unit in case we decide to return it. Thanks again

16. Elsa

Elsa Guest

hello Mr. Guitrman. The recorder is now working again by and thanks to you.

17. Elsa

Elsa Guest

Mr. Guitarman, can we edit the commercial fr a tv show? the commercial is within a chapter. We're now transferring our videos to dvd, is there any way that we can put a caption on it? THanks

18. fahrside

fahrside Guest

I've had this recorder for a few weeks now, and although it records perfectly there is no ZOOM feature. I just bought a new HD tv which is not a widescreen, and there is no way through the Ilo to zoom a DVD image. The picture distorts if I stretch it through the TV settings. Anyone have any ideas? I have tried to change settings on the burner, but no matter what I do, it will only play in letterbox.

By the way, I have been using Dynex+R discs and they work perfectly with the Ilo. They are readily available and very inexpensive on eBay.

19. lynamgirl

lynamgirl Member

Thought I would repost, since I dont think anyone saw my original post..lol

I am getting fuzzy pics on certain channels. I have tried to use the finetune option but cant get it any better. Running it with cables, directly to the tv..any suggestions?

also, the last code I got to update my recorder was the one for Macrovision and the 3 hour code. Are there any new ones, and what do they do? Links?

20. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

Elsa,

It depends on which recorder you have. The R04 will not but the HD04 will. You go to the edit menu and split the recording at the begining and ending of the commercial break. Then delete the clip with the commercials and merge the 2 clips that are left.