1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ilo dvdr04 firmware

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by fileguy, Dec 20, 2004.

1. marquis64

marquis64 Member

I called ILO and asked if the new Firware for the HD04 was going to be released and they told me that there was nothing in the works.

I suggest everyone that has one get on the phone and give them your vote.

Here is what you should ask.

Can I upgrade the Drive to a 160G or add another drive?
    Why is the Banner always on the screen when recording?
    Could you figure out how to add a USB Port to the unit to allow additional external access to a hard drive?

Could some form of TMPEnc Authoring software be used? Their format of creating and editing DVD movies works great.

When editing: It would be great to be able to set the Start and End Points of the Movie.

Still has error splitting file. Please check it again.

Situation: Recorded 8 hours of TV. Found beginning of show 1:28 into beginning. Split file. System showed 99% complete and hung.
    Lost entire file. ALL 8 hours.

Had to take drive out. Install in computer, to reclaim movie.

2. adambrann

adambrann Member

marquis64,

If it was the 800 number you called that told you there was nothing in the works, they don't know when or if new firmware is being released. They are just an offsite call center to field the support calls and forward the info on to the techs. They are not told about the updates.

I received an e-mail from the tech support team verifying that there WILL be an update. They received it last week on Wednesday for review and will make it available as soon as they're sure it works right.

3. tafkam

tafkam Guest

I updated the firmware with the 1097 hack and it works fine, however I tried to do the region free "menu hack" and it did not work (nothing happened after I had highlighted "exit" and punched in the numbers, hit enter per the instructions) does anybody know if the 1097 firmware had anything to do with this?

4. adambrann

adambrann Member

It shouldn't. When you hilight "EXIT" on the setup menu and press "2960", the hidden menu should pop up. Wait for this before pressing the enter button.

Go to the top of my firmware download page and you will see a link to instructions for the hack with screen shots.

Hope this helps.

5. RAPR

RAPR Member

Marquis64- The "banner" you are talking about, is it the one at the top of the screen that shows the ILO is "recording"? If it is, all you have to do is push the "DISPLAY" button on your remote. That will toggle the banner on and off.

6. tafkam

tafkam Guest

Thanks adambrann, I just tried it again and it worked. I THOUGHT I was taking those steps last night but for some reason nothing happened after I entered the four digits. Oh well it worked this time, thanks again!!!

7. etrack80

etrack80 Guest

I downloaded the update from the site, burned it to CDR and put it in, but when I selected yes, it attempted to update or process but instead, it said ..."error" on the display (at this point, no signal on the TV screen) then froze,,,,,, so I tried to eject it but nothing happened so I unplugged it then up on plugging it back in it said, "Put CD On" on the display in orange and golden letters. So far when I put the disc in (assuming its talking about the Update disc) I hear it attempting access something but the message dosen't change.

I wonder if I crashed it,, if so,,,, is there a restore method or factory reset download?

thank you in advance...

8. adambrann

adambrann Member

etrack80,

Yes you can restore it. Maybe your download was corrupt. Just re-download the firmware and try again. When the ILO crashes, it will continue to prompt you for a firmware disc until it is restored. If you are using the DVDR04, make sure you are downloading the right version for the recorder. The most common for the 1097 version is the one ending in .E20. The other isn't that common yet.

9. Outofline

Outofline Member

The only real problem I am having is in three occasions I have lost all in doing a split from the HDD. I either stop or pause before doing a split and still it locks up a t 60% about once every 10 or so splits.

I have not down loaded any Firmware updates yet because of the Cons I read which I am not currently having. I am just recording home movies from Hi8 so Macrovision is not a big deal.

Is there a fix for this Splitting freeze I am getting tired of recording the same stuff again and again.

Wes

10. marquis64

marquis64 Member

Thanks, Must have missed that in the reviews of the manuals.

Thanks Gitarman. I did call it. The CSR seemed surprised about our board and the response.

The Job has been keeping me busy so I haven't been able to break the firmware further to get the HD ops but I will. Will have the figures in a day or 2 to be able to jump to the 160 Gig version. Biggest fear is I can't find the LBA block in the firmware.

You wouldn't have any service manual on it?

11. adambrann

adambrann Member

Is everyone aware that there is a Macrovision hacked firmware for the HD04 now?? It is posted on the site. Still working on the LP 3-hour mode but that SHOULD be part of the upcoming update from ILO, since the HD04 was suppose to have LP mode from the factory in the first place.

12. sqd

sqd Member

Where I am suppose to see this 3 hour mode after running the file WMEA1097.E20. I did not see it under record??

13. wgrimsley

wgrimsley Member

I have been looking at the ILO DVD recorder. I have had a Pioneer DVD recorder in my computer for a couple of years and have made DVD’s of video taken with my digital camera. When I capture video from my camera, one hour of video = about 13 GB on the hard drive. Then you have to render the video to MPEG 2 to make a DVD. My question is this. When you hook the camera up to the ilink on the ILO DVD recorder is the video converted to MPEG 2. Thanks for any help.

14. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

wgrimsley,

Yes, the recorder is recording straight to the format for DVD.

If you get the DVDR04, when you record, it is going straight to the DVD. Once it it full or you are done with that disc, just finalize it and play it anywhere.

The DVDRHD04 has the 80gig HDD, so you can record to the HDD first, do any edits you want and copy it to the DVD afterward. Since the recording is in DVD format, it copies quickly since there is no re-encoding or restructuring of the data.

I have 2 HD04's and have done many transfers from a DV camcoder and it works great.

I hope this helps.

15. wgrimsley

wgrimsley Member

Guitarman

Bought the DVDR04 today. Updated it and it works great. Only $150. What a deal compared to some other prices.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  16. wgrimsley

wgrimsley Member

Who actually makes the drives in the ilo recorders. I know the name on the product doesn't tell you who makes the parts inside. For instance, I had a Memorex DVD Burner for my PC that was made by Pioneer.

Thanks.

17. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

wgrimsley,

The ILO recorders are made by LiteOn. The R04 is basically a rebadged 5001 and the HD04 is basically the never released 5020, little bro to the 5045.

If you bought the R04, the drive is either a LiteOn 451S or a 810S, depending on how recently it was manufactured.

18. jevababy

jevababy Member

GSERVE, I have a ILO DVDR04 unit and recently bought some blank DVDs that couldn't be read. Customer Service sent me the update download WMEA1097.E20, but I couldn't open that file. Then tonight I downloaded the new firmware wmea1098.eS4. Only thing is, my computer can't read that type of file either. What can I do? I contacted ILO customer service many times, they haven't responded. I'm assuming the hack verson 1098 is the newest version, but what can I open it with to burn it to a CD-R for my DVD player. Thanks.

19. whompus

whompus Active member

Just use nero burning rom. In the wizard select cdrom iso and add the file then burn cd. It is then ready to put into the ilo.

20. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

jevababy,

Do not open the file. You need to save it somewhere on the computer, then burn it to a CD. Place the CD in the ILO and it should prompt you to do the update.

Also, you are going to want to use the 1097 file first. It is both a system and a drive update. The 1098 is a system only update. You will want the drive update from 1097 to make the burner more compatible with newer discs and it will fix any bugs the drive might have.