1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iLo DVDR04

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by gserve, Nov 7, 2004.

1. mclyn82

mclyn82 Member

To: gserve.....I emailed iLo and it took 24 hours but I did get a very informed response...in fact it was iLo that directed me to this site. I still cannot get my DVDR04 to go through the steps to allow zone free DVD playing. I'm taking this unit back to Wal-Mart.

2. terryeng

terryeng Guest

Here is the reply i received from iLO Tech.Connect the coaxial cable to the recorder, which i had already done, then hit the setup button on the remote.
    Go to TV tuner to scan channel from tuner.
    When you go for recording, you need to hit 'source button untill you see Ch...on the display panel of the recorder.
    By this time you should see the picture on the TV as well.
    I have no idea what he is talking about when he say's go for recording? when i hit source nothing changes.
    I am trying to record from a vcr not from the tuner,
    Dose any of this make sence to you guy's?

3. gserve

gserve Member

mclyn82,The hack worked for me,you do not see the #'s on the screen you will see the hidden menu and select region free.Terryeng, when you press the source button you should see at the top of the screen as you press it reading Tv,AV-1 front,AV-2 rear,ilo,DV& S-Video. select AV-2 rear if you hooked up the VCR to the inputs(make sure the VCR is turned on and press the play button on the VCR and you should see the VCR playing the tape you want to record.Then hit the record button on the ilo remote you should see it say recording on the screen.If when you press the source button on the remote and nothing changes make sure the remote works.

4. daveshome

daveshome Member

Hello All.
    I called 1-800-Walmart and they told me where to pick up a Ilo DVDRH04. (the one with the 80G hard drive)

Will test its tuner output and report back if there is hum or not. (the hum is caused by the tuner bleeding in the video carrier into the sound carrier.)

I have an HDTV tuner (Sony HD200) but it will only put out either DVI/component output or S-Out/DCVS (RCA composit) output. Not both. Thus I can not use the tuner for recording. (Unless I wanted to not watch HDTV feeds from the Satellite or OTA) (The next model will.)

So I wish the tuner to work ok.

gserve: Can't find anything on either unit that
    allows NTSC/PAL changes.

Dave

Last edited: Nov 25, 2004
  5. daveshome

daveshome Member

Hello All.

Got the new unit. Ilo DVDRHD04. 80 Gig hard drive. (Walmart $278.00)

It's tuner is much more quiet. Some hum but only about 20% of what it was on the DVDR04 unit. (which I tried two different units.)

The unit works ok. Recorded a few TV shows on the hard drive and played them back. Video quality looks good. Audio drops out for 1/8 seconds every 10 minutes or so. Some video noise but not too bad.

It's tuner is mono only like the other unit. The front panel ilink (IEEE 1394) port is input only like the other unit.

I could not copy some material from a normal DVD to the units hard drive. (this was stuff I placed on a DVD+R disc that has no copy protection from my computer.) The recorder just says swap the disc. Seems like it can only copy in files that it wrote. The disc has a VIDEO_TS subdirectory and a VIDEO_RM subdirectory.

(I wanted to make some titles etc for a recorded movie.)

MP3's on a DVD work. JPEG's on a DVD work also. Very good quality.

I did the testing with the SP mode. It has the regular modes. (HQ, SP, EP and SLP) which equate to 1,2,4,6 hours of recording time on the DVD or 16,32,64,96 hours on the hard drive.

My computer reads everything the unit wrote.

The hard drive is a Seagate ST3800012ACE.
    The DVD drive is a Lite-On DDW-451S (a 4X DVD write speed drive.)

There is a firmware update that I have not yet installed.

If I need to record something nice, I will need to plug in the old VCR with its stereo tuner and feed it in to the recorder via the back side jacks.

Dave

Last edited: Nov 27, 2004
  6. JasonM79

JasonM79 Member

I've been looking for a dvd recorder for a while, I seen the Ilo dvd r + 80 gig hard drive. I have it on layaway right now. I was wondering just how good it was, video audio. I also had a link to an ilo web page wirh a firmware update, but cant find it again, anyone know where the link is, please post.

7. daveshome

daveshome Member

JasonM78

Visit http://www.ilohelp.com/ and see my small review of the units on the last few posts.

I have had both units. And they are not the best ones out there. I can't afford $599.00 for a real nice one. They work okay for the price.

My unit now. (DVDRHD04) gets mixed up and the firmware crashes. I must un-plug the AC the unit to get it back up and running. (no remote or front panel pushbutton does anything.)

I can see the scan lines of things I have recorded with the unit. (playing the files on the computer.)
    Something I can't see if I play something I recorded with the video cam or regular movie.)

Dave

8. TLBamy

TLBamy Member

the ilo help. went to there web site. took the download upgrade. anyway I put it on a cd-r disk. I put it in the unit, and it seemed to do nothing at all. says its a data disk. nothing more. do I wait longer. or was I suppose to unzip it. there site tells ya nothing. They promised to lower the copyrited level this week and I need it bad. my own tapes says copyrited and there not. TY

Last edited: Dec 24, 2004
  9. janmk

janmk Member

I'm looking at the iLO DVDR04 and want to know if it can send the digital signal to a computer for editing through the firewire or if the optical digital out can be transfered through to a firewire connection.

10. mclyn82

mclyn82 Member

DAVESHOME: Thanks a million. Finally, using your formula and unpluging my satelite connection to the DVDR04, I'm REGION FREE.

11. adambrann

adambrann Member

I have set up a page with the different DVDR04/HD04 firmware files for download. The link is next to my signature at the bottom of this post. It has hacked firmware for the non HDD model to disable Macrovision and add the LP 3-hour mode. It also has instruction for doing the update using Nero to make the update disc. I have also added the 'region-free' instructions to the site.

ILO DVDR04/HD04 Firmware Download Page
    http://www.ss3f.com/ilo/

12. barnmom

barnmom Member

I just purchased an ILO DVDR04, and am getting it set up. Can someone explain "region-free" and if I should be concerned about it? Also, I want to record home movies from a VCR; I assume I still connect the VCR to the TV so I can edit as I'm recording to the DVD. Is this correct? Thanks! Reading this bulletin board has helped. I was also able to get through to ILO support after a 10 minute wait.

13. mclyn82

mclyn82 Member

BARNMOM: If you want to view movies that were made in Europe (France...Germany...etc.) you'll not be able to see them without having free zone. If you only plan to see USA movies or DVD's...you shouldn't worry about this.

14. gserve

gserve Member

The VCR is connected to the ilo via the A/V cables (A/V out of VCR to A/V in of the ilo. Then turn on VCR and turn on the ilo and select A/V back with the source button on the remote.

15. barnmom

barnmom Member

Thanks for your help! I won't be able to really work on this for a couple of weeks because of work, but will ask again if I have problems. This website is a great help.

16. aferretti

aferretti Guest

Hi,
    Does anybody can help me on finding the best media speed for this recorder? I found 4X, 8X, 16X media in the market and do not know which one is the best to use. And I did not find which is ILO DVDR04 recording speed. Does anybody know it? Thanks,

17. gserve

gserve Member

I have used 4X and 8X write speed media. Phillips and Memorex for DVD+RW and Verbatim and Memorex for DVD+R. If you have the older ilo DVDR04 then it is a 4X writer .The newer ones are 8X.To find out which one you have you check the serial number that comes up on the screen when you hit the setup button on the remote.Check this site out www.ss3f.com/ilo/

18. awalker32

awalker32 Member

I recently purchased the ilo DVDR04 and I've tried to record with the ilo DVD+R disks, but it will not work. When I use a DVD+RW it records fine. Does anyone have any ideas why this would not be working. It seems to be recording, but when I go to play the DVD back it does not load. The machine tells me that it failed and to put in another disk. Any ideas? Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Please help me if possible. Thank you!!

19. gserve

gserve Member

What brand media are you using? Check out ilo's website under FAQ,s to see what media they recommend.Make sure your using only + (plus) R and not -(minus)R.

20. awalker32

awalker32 Member

I am using Brand ilo DVD+R 8X DVDs. I would assume that they would recommend their own product, but it's not on the website. The show looks like it is recording because the timer is counting, but when I go to the menu for playback the show does not come up. The player keeps trying to load it, but then it comes up as failed and says to put in a new DVD. I've recorded several shows on the DVD+RW disk that came with the product, so I know it works. Do you think it is just the disks? Thank you!