1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ILO / LiteOn SMART Firmware Hacker

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by Gtrman, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

Go to my ILO Firmware page. Near the top is a link to a program that will hack most LiteOn/ILO recorders to make them Region Free, Macrovision Free and enable 3-Hour LP mode. It has been tested on some but not all, but it is based on the hex locations for these hacks that have stayed consistant throughout all firmware versions and recorders so it should work on any unmodified firmware file.

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Jan 27, 2005
  3. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

The ILO/LiteOn Smart Firmware Hacker has been upgraded to support more LiteOn recorders. You can get it at my ILO Firmware Download Page. Here is a rev list for the software:

Version History:
    ----------------
    1.3b - Fixed an issue where some LiteOn firmware checksums were not correct.
    1.3 - Added LP Mode hack for more LiteOn Firmwares (XXXX1098 included)
    1.2b - Fixed bug that would add LP mode hack to firmwares that did not need it.
    1.2 - Added ability to hack DVDRHD04 to enable LP Mode (3HR mode)
    1.1 - Added ability to hack all regions of firmware & liteon firmware
    1.0 - Initial Release

4. addavis

addavis Guest

Need firmware upgrade for Lite On LVW-5007. Can you tell me where to find it and which version of the hack to use for this model?

5. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

addavis,

Get the firmware upgrade from the LiteOn website. Then download the Smart Firmware Hacker and run it on the firmware file. It will create a hacked firmware file for you.

6. addavis

addavis Guest

it seems to have an upgrade for every one but the 5007. Any suggestions, I know I've seen one for the 5007 somewhere before on this site but can't find it now.

7. katherat

katherat Guest

I tried the firmware upgrade on my Ilo DVDR04. It seemed to go just fine, but upon re-booting, I don't get 3-hour mode (and I suspect that macrovision isn't disabled).

Am I doing something wrong?

8. addavis

addavis Guest

Still haven't found a firmware upgrade for the LVW-5007 so I am assuming that this one is already upgraded? and does not require a firmware upgrade? I know it actually works really well. I'm wondering if I can still apply the hack so that I can backup my VHS tapes before my other VCR dies.

9. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

katherat

Make sure you are getting the hacked version. My site has both normal and hacked. Or, if you want to do it yourself, download the normal firmware and use the Smart Hacking Tool to modify it for you.

10. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

addavis,

My site does not have any LiteOn firmware except for the 5045. You will need to get the latest firmware file for the 5007 from the LiteOn website, then use the Smart Firmware Hacking Tool to modify it with the hacks. Use version 1.4b of the hacking tool. You would then burn the MODIFIED firmware file to a cd and upgrade the recorder.

I hope this helps

Last edited: Mar 2, 2005
  11. katherat

katherat Guest

gtrman,

When the pre-hacked file didn't seem to work, I did use the smart tool and run it on ilo's file. (When I do a CRC comparison of the two files, they show up as identical (so I think the smart tool worked)).

12. addavis

addavis Guest

I finally found the firmware upgrade for the LVW-5007, it's at:
    http://www.liteonamericas.com/us/download_dvd.htm
    Now that I have that on my computer I can only find version 1.5 of your hack. How about a link to v 1.4b so that I can get this thing done. I've found a few tiny glitches on this model but nothing to really complain about. The TV Guide works great and the machine records very well. Great for the price!

13. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

addavis

I only supply a link to the Smart Firmware Hacking Tool. You will have to e-mail Mr. Wizard from the tools page to see if he can repost version 1.4b but 1.5 should work for the 5007.

I did just notice though, that version 1.5B is now there. I downloaded the 5007 firmware from the link you listed and ran the 1.5b version on it. It says it found the MV, LP code and changed it. Since I do not have a 5007, I can not test it but the Hack Tool seemed to change the file.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2005
  14. addavis

addavis Guest

Great thanks for your help. I ran it on it also and have burned it to a data cd. Now I just have to wait for a day when my husband isn't taping something (can't mess up his schedule) and try it. Probably going to be on Fri. Will let you know for sure how it goes. Thanks again!

15. anilph7

anilph7 Member

grtman,
    i just bought liteon 5045 in london two days ago. i have changed the region to region-free and i can record in LP mode. will it make sense for me to upgrade to the uk firmware LNJCE196.DAO (that i downloaded from the liteon site) or should i use your hacked version?
    what is macrovision? does that remove the copyright restriction? will i be able to copy any DVD to the HDD?
    cheers

16. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

anilph7,

MacroVision is copy protection you find on most VHS tapes and DVD's. The hacked firmware will disable this. You will not be able to copy a DVD from the DVD drive to the HDD. You would need to use an external player and record it real time into the 5045. If you do use the hacked firmware, make sure you go back in and reset the region code to what you want it to be afterward, since the hack will probably change it. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

17. mujjh1

mujjh1 Member

I have a question about disabling the macrovision on an ILO DVD recorder with the hard drive. I have tried many times to apply the hack to disable the macrovision with no luck. I have downloaded the pre hacked files from gtrman and applied the upgrade- no luck, and I have downloaded fresh files direct from ILO and used Mr. Wizards firmware hacker and applied that upgrade- no luck there either. I had a ILO DVDR04 which I was able to hack perfectly, and traded it in for the DVDHD04, which I have not been able to hack. I know that the macrovision is not disabled, I have to run my vcr thru my ILO because I have an old tv, when I try to play purchased movies thru the ILO it is distorted, the distortion disappears when I run the VCR directly to the TV. Any advice as to how I could get this macrovision turned off? I would be happy to donate $$ to the cause if I could get the hack to work.

18. whompus

whompus Active member

You can open the firmware file in a hex editor. Search for code
    55 53 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 00
    replace with code
    55 53 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01

I have a hacked 1195 on my server for my sister to download. You can try it if you rather. It is http://www.mtc-comp.com/WMJA1195.zip just unzip it and burn to cd as data disk.

19. Deb-GA

Deb-GA Member

Guitarman,
    I've been reading these forums to soak up all the info I can since I'm a newbie to DVD Recorders and hadn't bought one yet. I decided to go with the ILO/hard drive last weekend and I downloaded your hacked firmware.
    I haven't attempted to load up the firmware yet ... a little nervous in case something goes wrong.
    Here's my 1st question. Since the hacked firmware makes the unit "region free" and I would then have to enter a region number, how do I find out what number I'm suppose to put in. I don't really understand what region means (removes restrictions on copyright?).
    Here's my 2nd question. Since many people have to take back the unit and get a 2nd or 3rd one (unless they are lucky), can I put the unit back to original format before I return it (if I have to) by "restoring"? If the thing crashes and won't work at all, I'm wondering if the factory would see that it has hacked software on it and will not want to honor the return ... (or maybe they don't keep track of returns as far as which return was from which person).
    Thank you.
    Deb

20. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

Deb-GA,

Region Free means that the ILO will play DVD's made for other countries. Normally, the ILO will only play DVD's marked Region 1 or Region All. It will not play Region 2-9 discs (Europe, Asia, etc.). With the ILO set to region free, it will play them all.

Using the restore option just resets the recorder to a factory state. It does not revert the firmware to an earlier version. There have been no problems returning the recorder to Walmart after a firmware change. If you were to need to send it back to ILO, you can reinstall unhacked firmware before sending it so there will be no problems with hacked firmware being on the recorder.