1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ilo r04 and accurian 3223...dead

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by eddiecon, Jul 4, 2007.

1. eddiecon

eddiecon Member

i have both of these recorders and both are not reading blank discs anymore. they both are just ruining blank ones by burning a small ring around the center of them. i would like to know if anyone knows the replacement drives for either or both of these. and if they are the same. been to several forums and have come up with this conclusion.the drive in the ILO is DDW A541S and the ACCURIAN its DDW 813S. i think i can put a LITEON 1693S in the ILO is this true?
    but what about the ACCURIAN? any help is greatly appreciated for a dummy. thanks

2. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

YES to Both Questions

The 1693s [also the later 1635s] and any drive bellow them will work on all functions. Any drive # to 1635s is ok in the units

Both the ilo 04 and Accurian are Liteon products. The R04 is without HDD and can be hacked. The Accurian and the ilo RHD04 are the same with 80gb HDD. The Accurian is Allwrite, but cannot be hacked Te RHD04 can

I have both
    The the RHD 04 have replaced drives. The Accurian, Not yet
    The drive for the 04 is 451s

EDIT
    Make sure the drives are at fault. The odds are not that both drives are defective at the same time. BUT its possible

Last edited: Jul 7, 2007
  3. eddiecon

eddiecon Member

thanks alot. i have been going crazy over this. as i am a newbie in all aspects of technology. the ilo gave out on me last x-mas after about 1 1/2 yrs. great to know that the liteon 1693s will work on both. the accurian i got to replace it was a floor model from radio shack that was at a discounted price of 99.97. it lasted 6 months.
    i will probably just put it on top of the model without doing to much altering to the unit. is there any software i need to download to make the 1693s compatible?

once again thanks.
    your a life saver as i cannot afford to keep buying recorders.

4. CrazCanuk

CrazCanuk Member

Sorry to jump in, just want to add some info. I too have replaced some drives in my recorders (2 ILO HD04s with SHW 160 and 165,1 ILO R04 with 1693,1 LITEON 5007 with 1693 and I've actually replace the drive in the infamous GoVideo 6530 with 1693, works great now).

As LCSHG mentions, Liteon drives higher than 1693 are not fully functional, the main problem is they don't fast forward on commercial and +Rs, works on +RWs.

I myself run my HD04s with Liteon 160 and 165, they do everything but fast forward, I use other players for watching anyways, as long as I can burn, just-fit recording and transfer (back and forth) I'm ok with that. I also have Liteon 20x AIP as back-ups, tested them and they work but again no fast forward.

Also you might loose the allwrite features when you'll replace the drive in the Accurian, it might become a +R/RW recorder only.

The only upgrade would be to bring the drive to the PC, set region 1, apply most recent firmware for the drive itself (if any, usually it's for more media) and that's it.

All of my drives are installed internally, there is room, a bit of work but can be done.

If your R04 is already hacked, it will still be after a replacement drive, if you do need to apply firmware to your recorder, no problem, the firmware will just skip the drive update and do the motherboard update only.

Good Luck

CC

5. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

eddiecon

It seemed that with your use the FF would be used, If so the Liteon units from and below the 1635s and 1693s should be used. [There are some other drives that have been said to work]
    Check these sites for info on a drive list and replacement
    http://www.techolio.com/
    http://www.normediasolutions.com/portfolio/

The Accurian is the same as the iloRHD04 but with Allwrite

Any change in DVD or HDD drives for the ilo04 series, and Accurian, will not result in the loss of any features originally in any unit
    There is NO change

I had installed a Liteon 1213s and 1693s in the Accurian and they worked fine, as would any on the list at the above sites

Take note on my comment on a hack, about the ilo04 and Accurian.
    The R04 can be hacked and is non-compliant.
    Tne R04 cannot be replaced and with The Accurian would make a [Very] good system

Last edited: Jul 13, 2007
  6. CrazCanuk

CrazCanuk Member

Thanks LCSHG, wasn't sure if the allwrite features would stick when replacing a drive. Good to know.

CC

7. eddiecon

eddiecon Member

hey guys i thought i had purchased a liteon 1693s from ikordesigns and they ultimately gave me a refund. they were out of them. any suggestions as to where i can find one of these for a resonable price?

thanks again in advance.

8. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

If used in the recorder, the speed of the drive [4x to 16x] will make no difference in the recorder burning speed as this is controlled by the unit.
    Drives that work are getting harder to get
    This vender has some 1213s drives that should work fine in your recorders They are New in retail box, and are $39.00 with shipping. This is an ebay store They are Buy it Now so there is no auction.

http://stores.ebay.com/CCI-Distribution_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ0QQftidZ2QQpZ2QQtZkm

PS
    Mounting outside is the simplest. The drives can be mounted internaly so as the unit looks original

9. eddiecon

eddiecon Member

thanks LCSHG

10. ggha

ggha Member

Most grateful.
    Thanks to your neat answer I got a solution to my problem with a DVD drive of an Accurian.

The 1693s [also the later 1635s] and any drive bellow them will work on all functions. Any drive # to 1635s is ok in the units

Both the ilo 04 and Accurian are Liteon products. The R04 is without HDD and can be hacked. The Accurian and the ilo RHD04 are the same with 80gb HDD. The Accurian is Allwrite, but cannot be hacked Te RHD04 can

I have both
    The the RHD 04 have replaced drives. The Accurian, Not yet
    The drive for the 04 is 451s

EDIT
    Make sure the drives are at fault. The odds are not that both drives are defective at the same time. BUT its possible[/quote]

11. ggha

ggha Member

Dear LCSHG,
    Thanks a lot for your explanation about the DVD drive replacements for the Accurian
    Bill

12. eddiecon

eddiecon Member

hey guys sorry to bother you. but after 3 months of looking for a replacement drive, i still cannot find one. any help is greatly appreciated. thanks again for any and all of your help.

13. PatOden

PatOden Guest

I am new to this forum, I am from Idaho, am 65 yrs old a retired electornic tech(radar). That said, I have a accurian 3223 DVR that appears to have a mind of its own. In a random pattern it will not play either a commercial DVD or one that I have recorded on my PC. when it does this it displays a error message(invalid disc) and just sits there. I was wondering if replacing the optical drive would fix this problem or not. Reading the proceeding messages, it appears to replace it, a person has to stick to replacing the laser assembly and cards only. or can a person find a drive that fits in the space. I like the 3223 machine but it needs some help/repair. Thanks for any help

14. eddiecon

eddiecon Member

hey pat hope i can help.
    with the help of these guys i was finally able to locate a drive that i could replace the old one with.
    i went to NEWEGG.COM and purchased a ( DVD_BURN LITE-ON LH-20A 1P- 185 ) it was around $35.00.
    you will need to replace the whole drive, and unless you want to do some work to the unit it will not fit like the old one. you can do what i have chosen to do and that to just open the unit and replace the drive. then i made a semi cover for it so that dust would not get it. but it works great except for the FF>> or REW<< while scanning a recorded program. small price to pay to have a great unit like this working again.

15. PatOden

PatOden Guest

Thanks for the reply, I have been searching the internet sources including NewEgg I will consider what you have suggested, in the meantime I am trying to find the dimentions of the 813s drive to try to make a direct replacement. Most likely I will have to do what you suggest.... again thanks for your reply and help
    Pat

16. 18Rabbits

18Rabbits Member

I just replaced my failed burner with a LiteOn LH-20A1H-186. I think any variety of the LH-20A1H* will work. I haven't checked the time shifting function since I have Tivo and don't care about this feature, but DVDs burn and finalize. Replacement required me to remove the 4 metal tabs on the opening where the DVD burner sticks through to the front control panel (bent them until they broke off and then filed down the remaining stubs). Without these tabs, the opening is exactly the right size for the drive to poke through and there is just enough friction so that no mounting of the drive to the chasis was not required. Attaching the drawer front required enlarging the center/top cutout on the drive drawer with a sharp knife (there are several locations where the drawer front indexes onto the drawer - only one needed to be adjusted). My unit is now functional and retains its factory look.

17. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

Many of the later liteon drives past 1693 will work, but without a FF function and is ok if one is aware of this.
    I would not want a unit without the FF in the Accurian. Using the R04 as a lead in to the Accurian will retain the special features of the R04.

On ebay
    There is a vender offering a New Liteon 12x burner at $18.95 [Buy it Now ] No Auction.
    I am not positive of the model # but I should feel that it is a compatible unit
    You might send them a question
    On ebay , Type in liteon burner than enter.---- This should bring up a number of drives including those mentioned

If a correct unit, it should work very well as a replacementunit

These sites should be of much help. The Accurian is a litreon product and the info will cover this unit including a drive replacement.
    http://www.techolio.com/

http://www.normediasolutions.com/portfolio/

If one has an R04 or other clones
    http://www.ncc2315.com/ilo/

No studs should be removed only the front [slightly modified ] to accept the drive. The info is in the sites given

At present I have
    Three ----- liteon 5045
    Three ----- Ilteon 5005
    Two ------ ilo RHD04
    Two ------ ilo R04
    Two ------ Accurian 3223
    One ------ Gateway

All have replaced PC DVD drives and I have replaced some 30 to 35 Drives in other units.
    I do not sell units but will buy one of the above if priced right

------------------------------
    PS
    The liteon drives and there clones are usually shorter than others an WILL fit. Other units could e a problem fit

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007