1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm a beginner

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by jasonrmn, Feb 27, 2005.

1. jasonrmn

jasonrmn Member

OK, so I think I have all the tools I need... Shrink, DVD decrypter, and Nero. In fact, I can successfully burn discs either by starting shrink, and ISO to HD, then burn with DVD Decrypter, OR, to HD, then Nero. THe problem is that no matter which method I choose, there still appears to be skips in playback on a DVD player. Usually closer to the end of the disc if this means anything? I have a dual layer 16x max burner. I have used three different blank media choices. and have usually tried to maintain a burn speed of half the max write speed for the dvd. Are there any settings I need to play with? I am not familiar at all with many of the settings which can be toggled.... Anyone with experience have any time to help a poor soul like me - PLEASE?

2. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

It means you are (more than likely) using cheap/inferior media.
    I would suggest , if you aren't already using ... Ritek G05 or maybe Taiyo Yuden DVDRs

3. dvdauthor

dvdauthor Guest

it probably is your media....I have recently had a problem with bad media - I can get about an hour on my Imation DVD-R's - anymore than that - I either A - get an "error" if i'm copying or it will finish and look terrible past the hour/hour and a half mark....

I ordered taiyo media -R's - hopefully they work better for me - and hopefully you'll have better luck.

4. eric545

eric545 Regular member

jasonrmn

Try this. First Decrypt then use DVD Shrink and lastly burn at the slowest speed that is allowed by your burner. If you are unfamiliar with how to use Decrypter and or Shrink, check out the links on this page of mine

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
  5. jasonrmn

jasonrmn Member

Wow. Even after trying three different kinds of media - to find out it's bad media? I guess I'll try the Ritek G05 media and see what happens! Eric - Great tutorial on your site! Simple, easy to understand and follow. I have an additional question... Your site mentions a step requiring "re-author", which I have never done. Is this required? Could this be my problem? Anyone else been successful with rip and burn without the re-author process?

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Jasonr, Since most of your problems are at the end of your backups, lower that backup target in dvd shrink :

Open up dvd shrink
    Edit
    Preferences
    Click the dvd-5,and scroll till it is on custom
    Enter 4300 mbs to the right of that
    Click ok.

That'll help get you through using the rest of your media,also keep that burn speed slow.

Rip and Burn without reauthor? I re-rip my backups directly to my blank,High quality media.

On those smaller dvd-5 movies, I use dvd decrypter: Iso read/Iso write.. It's a lot quicker than going through dvd shrink.

If you meant burning from the original on the fly, I haven't tried that.

7. bbthumper

bbthumper Guest

.....i have found most problems with playbacks on a standalone dvd player is not the media but the DVD player. Does the disks play fine in your computer?.........

8. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

9. mappa

mappa Member

I have backed up over 100 DVD movies using DVD Decrypter and Nero to shrink and burn and all play flawlessly on my DVD player or our XBox. I have always used Ul-Tran, Ritek or Princo but try to get the branded version if possible. The only problems I have had have come when using a batch of Ritek printable DVD-Rs. These would have errors near the end as you are suggesting.

10. jasonrmn

jasonrmn Member

Finally got to sit down and watch one of my more recent burns. I bought some Ritek media - but have not received it yet. BUT, I have tried the other suggestion earlier - Decrease the size to 4300 as mentioned a couple posts earlier. This seemed to work very well for eliminating the errors I was experiencing. There was one minor skip in the movie, but even it was barely noticeable. Another thing I did was played with some of the rip settings... I can't recall exactly what now - changed something to read 32kb??? Also changed a quality setting for the rip (I remember there are two options in shrink, I checked them both). It takes quite a bit of time to rip - 2 hours??? Not sure if these quality settings had anything to do with my recent success, or if they simply added more time to the process. Anyone have feedback on this? I will keep everyone updated after my new media arrives. Thanks again everyone!

11. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Those enhancements should improve your movie,especially if heavily compressed. The heavily compressed backups can cause issues on stand alone players,especially on poorer media. I usually do main movie only,less if any compression and a lot quicker. When that compression gets below 60%,I then use the maximum smoothness enhancement and backup in low priority mode.It takes longer,but well worth it. I haven't noticed any difference between the smooth and the sharpness enhancements.

When you get them go5's, then you can take that backup target up to about 4360 mbs and it will be a little less compression. I keep mine there all the time,along with great media and have a 99% success rate and 100% on re-ripping those backups on the fly.

I haven't tried the go5's,but the go4's are working as good as the rest of my media.

12. lurkyloo

lurkyloo Member

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, where do you get Ritek media? I am in California and have never seen it - do you need to order it online? Is there a good brand of DVD R that can be bought at a store such as Best Buy, Staples, Circuit City etc...? Also, for burning movies, is DVD+R 8x best or 4x? I have no clue as I am just getting started.

I have mastered copying a movie via DVD Shrink and Nero, but want to find a reliable media. Thanks!

13. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Lurkyloo, You have to get the good ritek's on the web.Places like rima,supermedia store,newegg,amazon,etc. Keep looking in on the dvd-r media forum. Someone always posts where and how much the good media is on sale.

Good brand name media in a store?
    Now that is in my ballpark. Staples have the sony + and - 1x-8x on sale this week: spindle of 50 for $20. Look carefully at the label. The + spindles that are made in japan are manufactured by taiyo yuden-for sony. They also have the exact same +1x-8x that are made in taiwan. These are very good,but for the same price-try to get those ty's. Mfg code: yuden000-to2.

Those sony -1x-8x are also the same, the ones made in japan are coded: sony08D1,a very good media. I am unsure of the same ones made in taiwan.

Avoid the sony 4x media, the 8x media is far superior,according to my backups/surface scans/ and the mfg codes I get from them. The same is true on fuji,maxell,and tdk. The 8x speeds seem to have better manufacturers. Check out dogbomb's media code thread in the top of dvd-r media forum.It's a very handy list.

Maxell is another brand name i refer members to and I burn a boatload of them.All their manufacturers are very good no matter which format/spindle size/and speed rated you get. They are manufactured by:ritek/ty/maxell/hitachi/ricohjpn.

Most of my newer media is 8x, but I still keep that burn speed at 4x to prevent errors and better stand alone compatability. Most of these 8x media will allow me to burn at 12x and those sony's will allow 16x if I leave my burn settings set at max.

The 4x media seems to be phasing out.

14. lurkyloo

lurkyloo Member

Thanks saugmon - you and ScubaPete have been a God send to me! It's nice to know there are people out there who are willing to help! I know you have saved me a lot of time and hassle trying to find sift through the various DVDs!

Thanks again! Jen

15. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

No problemo jen. Scuba pete is my mentor. I got plenty of time to surf around here with this crappy weather,until the fishing season begins. Good Luck