1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm a n00b!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mnkymn71, Dec 26, 2004.

1. mnkymn71

mnkymn71 Guest

I have a Sony Dru-710a on a compaq Pentium III 850mhz 256 Ram and have burnt about 100 movies so far. I am using dvd shrink and dvd decrypter. I have been reading up and i believe I am having Media problems because some of my movies jiter. I have tried different media but cant find out how to perfectly make a good copy all the time. I bought 200 Memorex DVD+Rs and came to find out that the ones I bought are not optimal for movies. The good news is that I'm 1/2 way done with them(lol). Anyway, I hear that Taiyo Yuden disks are the best. I need some help here. I'm a n00b from N00bvile just stuck here. None of my burnt copies are readable(as to load them on my computer. I can't copy my copies. An error on Nero and on DVD Decrypter. HELP!!!!!

2. john179

john179 Active member

My friend has two sony burners one the same as yourself and has always uses Ritek always and seems to get good results with them.His two faviourate medias he says he get best results with are as follows.

ANV Ritek G05 8x DVD-R
    Burn Speed: 8x - 12x*
    Ritek G05 Dye
    Storage Capacity: 4.7GB

Datawrite Yellow Ritek G04 4x
    Dye - Ritek G04
    Burn Speed: 4x
    Storage Capacity: 4.7GB

Give them a try i think you will find them more suitable than Memorex.

3. kchev

kchev Regular member

Last edited: Dec 27, 2004
  4. john179

john179 Active member

kchev pc spec is not that important when burning dvd's.Obviously the higher spec you have the more things you will be able to do on your pc at any one time.When i started burning dvd's i had a amd 500mhz 64mb and a 13gb.This allowed me to make perfect backup up's with the pioneer 104 i had at the time.It just limited me to how many things i could do at once.Which could have been solved with a little mb upgrade.Also i could not keep many dvd's stored on my hd due to the size of it.

mnkymn71 your spec is fine if you want to carry out a few task's at the same time as burning a little more mb would help but other than that mate your system will make perfect back ups.

5. kchev

kchev Regular member

i bet it took the better part of a day to encode a dvd then

i have to disagree, but that is just my opinion
    i upgraded from a 1.3 GHz Dell with 512 MB of RAM to an Athlon 3200+ with 512 MB of RAM and my DVD encoding time was cut by about 65%.

i didn't say he couldn't make perfect backups, but it is pushing the low end of recommended cpu

Last edited: Dec 27, 2004
  6. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

mnkymn71 , have you tried to update the firmware for your burner ? this will help clear up some burning issues with different media . this may not be the problem but its worth a try anyhow .
    what speed are you burning at ? have you tried slowing down the burn speed ? memorex have been problematic for many including myself . your burned copies may contain errors which can make it hard to read the discs let alone copy .

7. mnkymn71

mnkymn71 Guest

Yes, I've tried at 4X and it had fewer jitters. Some times nom=ne at all. But I don't want to keep flippin a coin to see if it'll be a good copy or a bad studdering one. I have done more reading and i believe Taiyo Yuden are the best for what I need. I am ordering 50 from super mediastore.

8. mnkymn71

mnkymn71 Guest

Oh yeah, I found a firmware update for my drive. I said that it would burn dvd+dl(dual layer) at 4X speed and dvd-r at 12X speed. It didn't say anything about accepting different media. I am new to this and to be honest i was afraid to update and mess somthing up. Wanted to read a little more and see what up with updating firmware.

9. john179

john179 Active member

To be honest kchev it was pretty dam slow as it had a old type hd in that took ages to get around plus i had a pretty slow dvd rom in it.However when i compare the ripping times between my AMD 1800+ and my AMD 2800+ there is no real difference.The 2800 gives me more stability like but ripping times are just the same.My friend has a 3200 which performence wise is not really that much better to that of my 2800.The higher spec you go i find the difference becomes a little less to the one just below it.Yes the 3200 does have a little more power allowing to run a little faster but not heaps faster.I could clock the 2800 to run to that of a 3200 but for me it's not worth the risk for a little extra.

mnkymn71 i believe by changing your media you are doing the right thing mate.Drop the speed on your first burn with your new media to x2 see if it turns out ok then pick up the speed a little to x4.Burning higher than x4 i would not recomend for dvd films i always try to stick to x4.Your higher speeds come in handy for other things like backing up games and so on.

10. mnkymn71

mnkymn71 Guest

I think that should do the trick. I just ordered my 50 pack of Taiyo Yuden DVDs. Japaneese ones too from Supermediastore, or something like that. I will try it at 2X then at 4X see what happens. Thanxs bud. I'll post once I have tried it.

11. john179

john179 Active member

No probs mate hope it all works out for you.