1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Im a noob. my hd started clickin so i took it out. i need help putting a new 1 in

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by xlildavex, Jun 12, 2007.

1. xlildavex

xlildavex Member

ok i was messin around with my xbox. and when i started it up it started click so i need to install a new 1. my dad works with cable comnpany so he has pvrs. they have 120 gig hd in them.... im wondering if i can use them its a western digital but when ever i put it in i get a error. soo sumthing is up... i do not have my old hd n e more. so i dont have backups. PLZ HELP IM DYIN I NEED TO GET MY GAME ON LOL piece

2. cakes227

cakes227 Guest

there is a chip that locks your mobo and ur hd together called an eeprom and you need to get your eeprom.bin to lock a new hd to your mobo. you are going to have to install a modchip, or get an eeprom reader.

3. xlildavex

xlildavex Member

lol i have no idea wut that is. i can install a mod chip but dont feel like it i heard about a installer but again im not good with this kind of stuff i do know how to do a soft mod will that work

Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
  4. cakes227

cakes227 Guest

well those are your 2 options, or if u have a friend with a solderless chip you could just put it in and lock your new hd to the xbox and take it back out.

5. xlildavex

xlildavex Member

umm what is eeprom.bin

6. cakes227

cakes227 Guest

ok the eeprom is a chip on your motherboard that has a code on it and your hard drive is locked with that same code so you can't just switch up the hard drives. the eeprom.bin is a dump of the eeprom chip so you can use it to lock and unlock hard drives to your motherboard.

7. xlildavex

xlildavex Member

ok if i were to go that route wut do i have to do...

and if i were to go with the chip how does that work

8. cakes227

cakes227 Guest

ok if you were to use the eeprom reader you would have to build it with this tutorial http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/357863 then do what it tells you to do to get your eeprom.bin on your computer then you would have to build your new hd with xbox hdm. or you could buy a mod chip or borrow a friends and install it and build your hd with xbox hdm with just the ms dash and no eeprom then put it in ur xbox and if you borrowed a friends there should be a setting to lock your hd to your motherboard or sumthin idk much about mod chips.

9. xlildavex

xlildavex Member

omg lol thats looks hard. but its cheap. lol but it looks like it would take a couple days todo. if i were to go with the chip do you have any site that you know of that sells cheap chips just to add a new hd. thats all i need it for. casue after i do that i wanna soft mod it.

10. cakes227

cakes227 Guest

ok, as i said i dont know much about mod chips, but if you bought one i would recomend keeping it because they have some advantages over softmods, but if you do buy one just to get the new hd in you should get a solderless one so that you can uninstall it afterwards and i think you need one with a pre-flashed bios because i think you need the hd in to flash the bios. just google "buy xbox modchip" to find a website that sells them.

11. xlildavex

xlildavex Member

12. cakes227

cakes227 Guest

13. cakes227

cakes227 Guest

also you need to be good with a solder iron or get a solderless adapter