1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm CORN-fused... Please help if you can

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by CloneDron, Jul 30, 2007.

1. CloneDron

CloneDron Member

Hi, I have a very strange problem. I have read and read and read and I still can't find my exact problem. Here goes my problem:

I came home yesterday and found that I was unable to get any response to my black screen (the computer had been running burning a backup). The backup was complete so, I rebooted the computer and I got an OS error. I rebooted and went into the BIOS and saw the the Boot Device Priority had been changed to disable where my OS drive was suppose to be. I changed it back and booted up ok only to find that one of two of my Sata drives was not visible in the My Computer window. I went to reboot back into BIOS and the settings had changed there as well. I changed it back and rebooted only to get an OS error again. I booted back into BIOS and saw that the settings for the OS disk was again disabled. I reset it and booted into safe mode where I ran a virus and spyware check oddly all checked out well. I then went to boot back into the BIOS and nothing changed. Once I booted back up I got the OS error again. I went back and checked it again and it was changed once more. I changed it back went to check the sata drives all was good and rebooted the computer. It booted fine except for that I still can't see the other sata drive. I switched the cables and it seen the one I hadn't seen and then I couldn't see the one I had been seeing. I switched them back. I check the Device manager under System and it sees both sata drives, I went back and checked the BIOS and it sees both sata drives but, My Computer and Windows Explorer sees only one.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated very much.
    Thanks,
    CloneDrone

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It sounds like one of them is missing a File Allocation table. Go Start->Run and type diskmgmt.msc
    This should bring up the disk manager. There may well be a drive in there without a drive letter. If it looks like it's formatted, go 'change drive letter and paths' and assign it a new letter. If it isn't, you'll need to do another format.

3. CloneDron

CloneDron Member

Hi,
    Disk Management doesn't see the hard drive but BIOS see's it. So, now, Disk management, my computer, and windows explorer doesn't see it.

Thanks for the reply.
    CloneDrone

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's extremely strange. What about device manager? (devmgmt.msc) -> disk drives

5. CloneDron

CloneDron Member

Ok,
    seems that my settings are now being retained but, I still have one problem. As we were discussing I can't see one of my sata drives. I have checked BIOS and Device Manager and both see the hard drive. But, My Computer, Windows Explorer, and Disk Management does not see it. I have a combox with 3 hard drives that are deicated as OS drives and switched to another OS drive and it's seen by all. So, what I'm wondering is did something happen to the OS on the hard drive that's not seeing the drive and if so does anyone know if there is a fix outside of reinstalling windows? Any help would very much be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks for your time,
    CloneDrone