1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm having problems softmodding a newer Xbox with Splinter Cell

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by Memnock, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Memnock

Memnock Active member

The Xbox isn't that new, but it's been on Live recently and it was made in October 2003. I've softmodded about 4 Xboxes a year ago and had no problems. I see there is a new guide posted and new save files. I followed the guide and used the new saves, but the screen just goes black when I click check points after Linux. Can anyone help me out here?

2. sdc1983

sdc1983 Regular member

what game are you using to do the softmod?

3. Memnock

Memnock Active member

Splinter Cell, it's in my title. It's not the platinum edition. My copy is a little scratched but plays ok. Could that be my problem?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  4. sdc1983

sdc1983 Regular member

Sorry I didn't see that in the title. I've only done a couple mods and each time I used MechAssualt. Now my MA disc is a little scratched too but it still went through fine.
    This may be a repetative question but have you made sure your using the proper game saves for your region? Also I think there is a newer download of those saves for that game. It may be something you might want to check if you haven't already. Besides that I'm at a loss as well. But I'll check around and see what I can find cause I'm sure someone had to have run into this problem before.

5. Memnock

Memnock Active member

Yeah it's the latest version 4.5 and I am using the right region. I tried PAL just to check and it didn't make it to the black screen. It froze on the checkpoints screen. Gamestop has buy 2 get 1 free on Xbox games. I may try to get copies of all 3 usable games and see what happens.

6. sdc1983

sdc1983 Regular member

I remember reading somewhere before as well that certain versions not only the platinum editons have problems. It has something to do with the code number written around the hole in the middle of the disc. I think there may be thread on here with that info or maybe on www.xbox-scene.com. If I can find the thread link I'll post it here so you can double check that.

7. sdc1983

sdc1983 Regular member

8. Memnock

Memnock Active member

Damn well I just tried again with Mechassault and the same thing. WTF is going on?

9. sdc1983

sdc1983 Regular member

Have you tried updating your dash before doing the mod? I've read that some people had to update their box before doing the mod by putting an xbox live game in and letting it run the update. I don't think its necessary to login to live the xbox should update automatically.

10. Memnock

Memnock Active member

Well this is certainly a kick in the head. When I tried to go on Live it I couldn't and got a message saying the console was modded. I popped a back up in to check and yeah it booted right up. I had no idea obviously. I feel slightly silly now. The Xbox was purchased used and the MS dashboard boots up at start up so I didn't know.

11. sdc1983

sdc1983 Regular member

glad to hear everything worked out for ya.

12. Memnock

Memnock Active member

Thanks I appreciate that and your effort. It was no biggie in the end. The Xbox is modded and Mechassault only cost me $2.70 at Gamestop.

13. knockemv2

knockemv2 Regular member

but dang dat sucks that u got banned off live but do u know how it was booting to the ms dash instead of the modded

14. Memnock

Memnock Active member

No I don't how it's booting the the MS Dashboard. I'm curious myself. I wonder if there's a chip in there. The hard drive is still factory. This Xbox is for someone else and he doesn't care about Live. So no problems there and I'm not banned from Live. I didn't use my tag when I tried Live. There was one already on the Xbox.